Premier League 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I wouldn't say we are complaining. It's not like there is a conspiracy. But it's completely fair to say City has an easier run in. This is instant analysis of the schedule.

And the same people are complaining about LFC fans complaining are the same people that are going to accuse them of bottling it if it doesn't work out.

"Gives the league to Man City with that run in. Dear lord"

"Yeah it's pretty criminal"

Totally normal analysis is as follows:

We don't know the full schedule yet. We have the league. We don't where each team will be placed in the CL, travel wise or difficulty of group, or how far they'll progress. We don't know who they'll draw domestically, or if they'll even care.

There's so much more that goes into a league challenge that when you play who. Who is injured when you play. Are there cup comp fixtures squeezed between top 6 matches. etc etc.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
"Gives the league to Man City with that run in. Dear lord"

"Yeah it's pretty criminal"

Totally normal analysis is as follows:

We don't know the full schedule yet. We have the league. We don't where each team will be placed in the CL, travel wise or difficulty of group, or how far they'll progress. We don't know who they'll draw domestically, or if they'll even care.

There's so much more that goes into a league challenge that when you play who. Who is injured when you play. Are there cup comp fixtures squeezed between top 6 matches. etc etc.
I stand by it. If the league isn't blown away early, it is likely to come to that part of the season. Look at last season. I think it's pretty naive to underestimate the importance of that. Sure there are other factors but that is the biggest one. City getting 18 points from their final 6 games is an incredible boost. Those points matter

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Didnt say the schedule was easy. Said their run in is easy. Are you saying it is not easy?
No what you said was they gave them the league with that run in. Which is beyond ludicrous considering that EVERY TEAM PLAYS EVERY OTHER TEAM TWICE. SO ALL TEAM HAVE THE SAME COMPETITION.

Also there is the theory that playing relegation teams early on with a clean slate is harder than playing them midseason. No one gave the league to anyone and you still play 30 odd game, we'll see what happens. NEXT.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No what you said was they gave them the league with that run in. Which is beyond ludicrous considering that EVERY TEAM PLAYS EVERY OTHER TEAM TWICE. SO ALL TEAM HAVE THE SAME COMPETITION.

Also there is the theory that playing relegation teams early on with a clean slate is harder than playing them midseason. No one gave the league to anyone and you still play 30 odd game, we'll see what happens. NEXT.
It 100% matters when you play the teams. If managers could pick one section of their season to be easiest it would be the run in. Without a doubt. Not touching the relegation teams theory.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Didnt say the schedule was easy. Said their run in is easy. Are you saying it is not easy?

It is easy. But as Evilo said, if the run in is that easy then it means they have a really tough stretch at some point. I mean everyone plays the same teams twice, having an easy run in only matters if you guys play poorly throughout the season and have to play catch up at the end of the season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Having an easier end of season schedule can be argued to be easier based on the fatigue and depth of the squads. By the end of the season a lot of the players have played a lot of games, injuries pile up, some teams don't have as much urgency, etc... Otherwise I agree...everyone plays everyone 2 times there's no real 'strength of schedule' issue.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It 100% matters when you play the teams. If managers could pick one section of their season to be easiest it would be the run in. Without a doubt. Not touching the relegation teams theory.
Oh it matters but we haven't even kicked off and you have conceded defeat think about that for a second. Does it really matter that much the first few game of the season? Chelsea under Conte were horrible to start the season and went on to win the league. At the end of the day you have 30+ games play against the same teams.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

Completely agree. I remember a few years ago when Newcastle finished in 2012-13 in a European spot, it was partly due to the fact they played the top teams when they were involved in Europa or Champions League games. Teams like Chelsea and Manchester United rested a number of their stars and Newcastle took advantage of them. For me, I would rather play a team like Man City when they play their toughest opponent in the group stage or a close European knockout tie. Granted Man City's second team could probably finish in the top half of the league if given the shot, but I'd rather take my shots against a slightly weaker starting eleven than their first team.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Liverpool will beat City in the league this season.

Overall, I was still more impressed last season with a record (Liverpool) who only had one league defeat compared to a record (City) that saw them defeated 4 times in league matches.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It is easy. But as Evilo said, if the run in is that easy then it means they have a really tough stretch at some point. I mean everyone plays the same teams twice, having an easy run in only matters if you guys play poorly throughout the season and have to play catch up at the end of the season.
Oh it matters but we haven't even kicked off and you have conceded defeat think about that for a second. Does it really matter that much the first few game of the season? Chelsea under Conte were horrible to start the season and went on to win the league. At the end of the day you have 30+ games play against the same teams.
Liverpool play at the Etihad on April 4th, and then City have their 6 game cake walk to close the season . How many points do you think Liverpool have to be up on City on April 5th to have a chance at the league? With City having 18 points in the bag to close out the season?

That's why it timing of the schedule matters. Managers try to budget points out too, so this is a legitimate question.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Liverpool play at the Etihad on April 4th, and then City have their 6 game cake walk to close the season . How many points do you think Liverpool have to be up on City on April 5th to have a chance at the league? With City having 18 points in the bag to close out the season?

That's why it timing of the schedule matters. Managers try to budget points out too, so this is a legitimate question.

They need to beat them to put them up 4 points. They can win 5 of the final 6.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Imagine complaining about fixtures when:

- The league gave Liverpool the easiest possible first match when the players aren't fit.
- The easiest run of early fixtures that will allow the team to reach peak fitness.
- The packed schedule in the winter is as easy as possible with no games against big teams. I think the Club World Cup will also push a few of these off.
- When 5 of our group games in the CL are followed by home games.
- When we're in Pot 1 of the CL, so odds are overwhelmingly in our favor that we will not have a hard group stage draw.
- WHEN WE WON THE f***ING EUROPEAN CUP

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Our team also obviously plays better when the going gets tough. I just don't understand the complaints.

The only valid complaint is that the Club World Cup could push some of these fixtures too close together, but there's an easy counter to that. Would you rather not have Liverpool in the Club World Cup?

Reactions: robertmac43

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
All the people bitching about Liverpool’s schedule :laugh:

Maybe don’t draw so many matches but next year and the fixture order won’t be an issue

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
All the people *****ing about Liverpool’s schedule :laugh:

Maybe don’t draw so many matches but next year and the fixture order won’t be an issue
I'm confused not only by what you are trying to say in this post, but also trying to figure out who 'all the people' are bitching about Liverpool's schedule.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I'm confused not only by what you are trying to say in this post, but also trying to figure out who 'all the people' are *****ing about Liverpool's schedule.

Maybe I should have said the people bitching about Man City’s early schedule in comparison to Liverpool’s.

I thought the second part was pretty straight forward. Liverpool drew a lot of bad games last year. They lost the league by 1 point. The order of fixtures doesn’t matter if you draw against average teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad