Premier League 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think depending on this summer all of Leicester, Everton and Wolverhampton could threaten the 6th spot, or higher if a couple of those clubs keep spiraling.
I think Wolves might struggle more than many think if they go further in the Europa. We saw it with Burnley.

Sure, Wolves' squad is much better, with plenty of international players, but the stress and traction on the team going from Thursday to Sunday in matches is going to be difficult to make the adjustment to. If anything, I would predict that Wolves, barring another summer of significant investment, might struggle to replicate this season. Their manager is great, but it's also a massive benefit for him not to have to throw together two game plans each week, or worry about fitness after quick flight to Slovakia.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Obviously Grealish will be kicked in the PL as well, but if you think it will be as bad as the Championship - then you are not watching Championship games. The Championship has also developed with better pitches and more foreign players, but it is still a lot more old school English football than the PL.

"Unfortunately" I think Grealish will be excellent in the PL. Really wish Spurs had bought him last year. Very impressed by him this spring. If he can keep that going he will be among the better midfield players in the PL already next year. At the same time I would love it if Villa could once again establish themselves in the PL. They are a proper and fairly big team that should with time be able to once again establish themselves as a top 10 team in England. No disrespect to Burnley, Bournemouth etc. Great that "smaller" teams can be competitive even in the PL by making good decisions year after year, but the competition is more interesting if teams like Villa, Everton, Newcastle and maybe with time Leeds etc. can reach their "full potential".

The PL went from the top 4 to now have become top 6. I don't think it will be extended to a proper top 8 or 10 without any more winners of the oil money lottery, but who knows what a properly ran Villa, Everton etc. can accomplish. It took Spurs almost 20 years to take that step - others can obviously follow as well (even if they don't have the benefit of London).

Great post. Also feel this could be a coming out party for McGinn with this added exposure. One heck of a player. Mings too if they manage to sign him from Bournemouth.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Wolves finished 13 and 9 points behind Arsenal and United respectively. Not insurmountable differences obviously but still significant.

Wolves also dropped double-digit points against the bottom three though.

That said, I think if any club has a shot at penetrating the top six next year, it's Leicester (if they can hang on to Maguire, Chilwell, and Tielemans)

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ozil has done a lot of good charity work over his time as a pro-footballer, this is just another great move by the guy.

I find it unfortunate when he takes so much crap from the Arsenal media, I honestly think he is just a guy who loves playing football and wants to bring joy to those around him both on and off the pitch. The media rips him to shred and then that joy is taken away, it's honestly sad.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Hey, Rabiot is doing great in charity.
Doesn't change his poor character in football.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
Ozil has done a lot of good charity work over his time as a pro-footballer, this is just another great move by the guy.

I find it unfortunate when he takes so much crap from the Arsenal media, I honestly think he is just a guy who loves playing football and wants to bring joy to those around him both on and off the pitch. The media rips him to shred and then that joy is taken away, it's honestly sad.
He is a luxury player that needs a great team behind him. Not a leader of a team that
Arsenal hoped him to be. He is a great offensive player, just not great enough to offset the balance of his none existent defence. Kinda the same story as another cast away 10# from Real Madrid in James. Both have all the talent just not the drive, personality or versatility to be great.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Ya'll better get ready for Pukkiparty.

upload_2019-6-7_18-16-49.jpeg

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Arsenal hoped him to be. He is a great offensive player, just not great enough to offset the balance of his none existent defence. Kinda the same story as another cast away 10# from Real Madrid in James. Both have all the talent just not the drive, personality or versatility to be great.

Ozil has drive, he must if he has made it this far. At this point he just doesn't fit the Emery mold of player; he doesn't track back and he is not helped by the fact that his job is to come deep for the ball and then recycle it out wide. Not a system for success for Ozil.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Wolves also dropped double-digit points against the bottom three though.

That said, I think if any club has a shot at penetrating the top six next year, it's Leicester (if they can hang on to Maguire, Chilwell, and Tielemans)
I agree about Leicester, if they can hold onto their guys. Their young core is going to keep getting better, and with that should come some more consistency.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I think Wolves might struggle more than many think if they go further in the Europa. We saw it with Burnley.

Sure, Wolves' squad is much better, with plenty of international players, but the stress and traction on the team going from Thursday to Sunday in matches is going to be difficult to make the adjustment to. If anything, I would predict that Wolves, barring another summer of significant investment, might struggle to replicate this season. Their manager is great, but it's also a massive benefit for him not to have to throw together two game plans each week, or worry about fitness after quick flight to Slovakia.

In addition to the above, there's the possibility of second season syndrome. If Wolves don't evolve to pose opponents different questions, the rest of the league will be better prepared for them.

In 2018/19 it mattered little that Wolves came thirteenth in goals scored because they had the fifth best defence in the league. Of their 47 goals, Jimenez and Jota combined were responsible for 22.

So there are two potential threats - firstly that Wolves' defensive record may suffer for the extra games, since defence is fundamentally about avoiding errors, and fatigue (whether physical or mental) born of playing more often is likelier to induce those errors. Secondly, if Jimenez proves a one-season wonder or Jota returns to his two goal pre-Christmas form there currently isn't a plan B. No doubt money will be spent on a backup striker. The trick is to ensure that said player delivers.

Admittedly, it bodes well that Wolves accrued more points in the season's second half than the first. But this is a league in which margins are thin.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Not enough Pukkiparty in this thread:

In case you folks hadn't realized it yet, if you were annoyed with Finns in the Kakko/Laine threads, just wait for next season and Norwich games. ;)

Reactions: Muuri

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
RIP to the guy that brought Leyton Orient back into the Football League this year and former Spur player Justin Edinburgh

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
That's an interesting video. I still just think he's a player who might need to prove himself at a mid table club before he made the United move. He didn't go for a ton of money, but I think he might be lost in the shuffle if he doesn't develop some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->