Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It's quite surprising that even though these big soccer-teams are giants they seem to have feet of clay. A short pause in activity sends them on the brink.

Unfortunately they are institutions and therefore too big to fail and fall down. Or can you imagine some Real Madrid or Manchester United actually going bust?
They will never go bust. I actually think Real Madrid and Manchester United are even stronger during this crisis because of their financial strenght. The clubs in danger are teams paying well above their mean.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Reactions: Cassano

member 305909

When the lockdown is lifted people are not going to rush into football-matches as the first thing to do. That is just not important in these circumstances especially when a lot of people will not have a job to go back to.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
When the lockdown is lifted people are not going to rush into football-matches as the first thing to do. That is just not important in these circumstances especially when a lot of people will not have a job to go back to.
I think you underestimate how much people care about sport, and how much it is used as an escape.

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think you underestimate how much people care about sport, and how much it is used as an escape.
Yes but there be will an impact at the beginning. I could definitely see half empty stadiums in the first few games after the lockdown.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

Possibly - although if, as I suspect is likely, the population leads the government out of lockdown rather than the reverse, people may well flock to the reassuring spectacle of football games rather than dwell on their post-money future.

And YNWA14's point about escape will be particularly worth considering for a society recovering from the grand well-intentioned house arrest experiment of 2020. We're not just talking a mental escape here - but sheer physical escape from indoors. Particularly if games resume when the sun is shining, and you can drink away from the people you've been nigh on living on top of for weeks / months / years (delete according to just how far into the future the nation pursues its pathological fear of dying at the hands of this particular disease, as though it were the only cause of human demise in existence).

Reactions: YNWA14

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah but people will still be scared about being in a stadium with thousands of people.
I mean I don't think that people will be that scared. I mean 70,000 people were at the UCL game in Liverpool right before the lockdown started. Underground bars with hundreds of people attending have been shutdown during the peak of this virus. Once people are allowed to go to sports games they absolutely will.

Reactions: YNWA14

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I mean I don't think that people will be that scared. I mean 70,000 people were at the UCL game in Liverpool right before the lockdown started. Underground bars with hundreds of people attending have been shutdown during the peak of this virus. Once people are allowed to go to sports games they absolutely will.
Okay, but when do you think that is? They're already talking about prohibiting mass sporting events until Fall 2021 in some States...

There's almost certainly going to be a second wave of this, how sever is anyone's guess.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Of course some people will. There's always going to be a part of the population that's so deluded nothing can stop them. But the Liverpool UCL match was in an entirely different world. On March 12, the UK had barely been hit. They had something like 150 cases. They now have over 100k cases with over 15k deaths.

We've seen this around the world where populations don't take this seriously until it hits home. It's the same in the US. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone in metro NY who doesn't see this as anything but a horror. But in upstate NY, they're driving the capital in Albany to protest tyranny like idiots. so yeah, you'll always have some people who are too carefree or straight dumb to realize the risk. But you're greatly underestimating the impact of people being personally impacted and what that does to their thinking. Additionally - people talk shit on the internet. Posting nonsense on social media and actually sitting in a packed stadium are 2 very different things.

It really doesn't matter what fans think though. I think the path forward is finishing seasons in empty arenas. I can't speak for Europe, but it's going to be a long, long time until US stadiums are packed. One full stadium could offset months of lock downs and completely wreck a local healthcare system.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Impressive considering Anfield capacity is only 53 394... Maybe you mixed Old Trafford's capacity?

Reactions: cujo1117

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Of course some people will. There's always going to be a part of the population that's so deluded nothing can stop them. But the Liverpool UCL match was in an entirely different world. On March 12, the UK had barely been hit. They had something like 150 cases. They now have over 100k cases with over 15k deaths.

We've seen this around the world where populations don't take this seriously until it hits home. It's the same in the US. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone in metro NY who doesn't see this as anything but a horror. But in upstate NY, they're driving the capital in Albany to protest tyranny like idiots. so yeah, you'll always have some people who are too carefree or straight dumb to realize the risk. But you're greatly underestimating the impact of people being personally impacted and what that does to their thinking. Additionally - people talk shit on the internet. Posting nonsense on social media and actually sitting in a packed stadium are 2 very different things.

It really doesn't matter what fans think though. I think the path forward is finishing seasons in empty arenas. I can't speak for Europe, but it's going to be a long, long time until US stadiums are packed. One full stadium could offset months of lock downs and completely wreck a local healthcare system.
They reopened a beach in Florida and it took 30 minutes to be completely packed in the height of COVID.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Did you read ECB's first two sentences? A responsible government doesn't even think of opening those beaches on the day when the state reported its highest number of cases, but Florida is being run by baboons right now. And on its best day, Floridians have a...special reputation. Its irresponsible and a lot of people might rethink that choice to jump on those beaches when their curve is extended while other states are gradually reopening.

Not to mention, comparing a packed football stadium with 60k people side by side to a couple hundred people max on an open beach is pretty ridiculous.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The point is that you guys underestimate the fact that COVID is still only tragically affecting such a small portion of the population that people care more about their personal freedoms and the fact that they’re being cooped up to protect the vast minority — and that’s the way that they look at it. If they were allowing people into stadiums right now they would still be at max capacity. The vast majority of people will not even know someone or of someone that has had a serious case of COVID-19. The fact that most people still break social distancing and lockdown rules whenever they feel like it and the only reason that isolation is even widespread is under the threat of fine or jail should tell you enough about how the majority feel about this and how quickly most people will be happy (not scared) to go back to their regular activities.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The point is that you guys underestimate the fact that COVID is still only tragically affecting such a small portion of the population that people care more about their personal freedoms and the fact that they’re being cooped up to protect the vast minority — and that’s the way that they look at it. If they were allowing people into stadiums right now they would still be at max capacity. The vast majority of people will not even know someone or of someone that has had a serious case of COVID-19. The fact that most people still break social distancing and lockdown rules whenever they feel like it and the only reason that isolation is even widespread is under the threat of fine or jail should tell you enough about how the majority feel about this and how quickly most people will be happy (not scared) to go back to their regular activities.

I don’t disagree with you in that People are generally stupid. And above all, criminally selfish. But I think it will vary on a lot of things- including the impact locally and the culture.

my point still stands that using the CL match at Anfield on March 12th as an example of anything is stupid. Same with ultras standing outside stadiums in France in early March.

rvery country, state or locality that seems to thumb their nose at this gets burned incredibly bad. We’ll see how it works out.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
What you are clearly having a hard time understanding is that the small(er) percentage of people affected by the virus is precisely BECAUSE of the stay at home mitigation practices in place. If you want to see cases skyrocket and frontline medical workers besieged and the greater populace die at even greater rates, by all means ease the measures.

The "personal freedoms" stuff is just right-wing talk radio garbage that I don't particularly have interest in engaging in. Just pure selfishness, as ECB pointed out.

Reactions: Cassano

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don’t disagree with you in that People are generally stupid. And above all, criminally selfish. But I think it will vary on a lot of things- including the impact locally and the culture.

my point still stands that using the CL match at Anfield on March 12th as an example of anything is stupid. Same with ultras standing outside stadiums in France in early March.

rvery country, state or locality that seems to thumb their nose at this gets burned incredibly bad. We’ll see how it works out.

I think 'burned incredibly bad' is an overstatement and really depends on your perspective. Many would argue the lockdown itself is affecting way more people and causing many more issues for people, and for a long time to come. There have been roughly 160,000 COVID-19 related deaths and we have a population of about 7.6 billion. You're looking at something like 0.002% of the population that have died, and again, most of those are of a demographic where people can rationalize as to why it would happen. There are way bigger issues in the world, and that have affected and will continue to affect the world, that have been around for a very long time.

You guys talk about selfishness a lot but there's so much more to this than just calling one group or another selfish because they believe different things.

What you are clearly having a hard time understanding is that the small(er) percentage of people affected by the virus is precisely BECAUSE of the stay at home mitigation practices in place. If you want to see cases skyrocket and frontline medical workers besieged and the greater populace die at even greater rates, by all means ease the measures.

The "personal freedoms" stuff is just right-wing talk radio garbage that I don't particularly have interest in engaging in. Just pure selfishness, as ECB pointed out.

I have a hard time understanding something because the concepts of general society are over your head? What you don't get, and are clearly incapable of doing, is that I'm having an objective conversation not related to my own personal opinion or actions. I know people affected on both sides of the issue and can see why people feel the way they do on both sides. The close mindedness on your part is not overly surprising and is shockingly common in supposed "leftist" approaches. This isn't a black and white situation as there are far reaching impacts regardless of the course of action.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I don’t necessarily disagree with the concept that you can’t lockdown forever. Saying we need to get back to some level of functioning society Bc people will starve and be broke isn’t wrong. But it’s not binary. And that’s the issue. Our choices aren’t stay locked down or attend a packed Anfield. We are going to get back to life slowly. Allowing 70k people in a stadium any time soon is pure stupidity. Regardless of whether you’re able to get 70k people to go or not.

the major problem is that societies, be it local or national, that have had success re-opening had complex plans In place. The US nor the UK seem to have that at this stage. And that’s the issue.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don’t necessarily disagree with the concept that you can’t lockdown forever. Saying we need to get back to some level of functioning society Bc people will starve and be broke isn’t wrong. But it’s not binary. And that’s the issue. Our choices aren’t stay locked down or attend a packed Anfield. We are going to get back to life slowly. Allowing 70k people in a stadium any time soon is pure stupidity. Regardless of whether you’re able to get 70k people to go or not.

the major problem is that societies, be it local or national, that have had success re-opening had complex plans In place. The US nor the UK seem to have that at this stage. And that’s the issue.
I don't disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad