Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
It's a year old, but it's an interesting video:

Informative, but unfortunate that it repeats Ashley's claim he's stabilised the club's finances, when its debt hasn't reduced since the takeover, despite him sacking 75% of the employees he inherited. That's the damage jobs-for-the-boys inspired relegations causes.

A pity there's no mention that the club's commercial income has flatlined since Ashley took over, and that the only income stream to increase notably is TV income - ie something Ashley has dropped in his lap thanks to the centrally-negotiated broadcasting contracts rather than generates through the acumen of himself or his minions.

Strange, too, that tale about him being a childhood NUFC fan. His former Chief Lickspittle, sorry Executive, claimed in the media that Ashley disliked being labelled a Spurs fan because he'd always supported Chelsea. More recently, his Daily Mail 'interview' touted that he'd followed England around the globe, but made no claims about a decades-long affection for Newcastle United.

Mind, the idea of him having friends at all seems rather dubious.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Informative, but unfortunate that it repeats Ashley's claim he's stabilised the club's finances, when its debt hasn't reduced since the takeover, despite him sacking 75% of the employees he inherited. That's the damage jobs-for-the-boys inspired relegations causes.

A pity there's no mention that the club's commercial income has flatlined since Ashley took over, and that the only income stream to increase notably is TV income - ie something Ashley has dropped in his lap thanks to the centrally-negotiated broadcasting contracts rather than generates through the acumen of himself or his minions.

Strange, too, that tale about him being a childhood NUFC fan. His former Chief Lickspittle, sorry Executive, claimed in the media that Ashley disliked being labelled a Spurs fan because he'd always supported Chelsea. More recently, his Daily Mail 'interview' touted that he'd followed England around the globe, but made no claims about a decades-long affection for Newcastle United.

Mind, the idea of him having friends at all seems rather dubious.

It's funny how you can easily argue that the video was too kind to him and yet it paints him out to be a terrible boss who made money off the backs of abusing workers and has made the club...middling at best.

Just shows how great a person he is :)

Tifo's actually done an entire series on it.

Videos on Arsenal, United, City, and Chelsea as well as some other interesting stories from England and across Europe.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
It's funny how you can easily argue that the video was too kind to him and yet it paints him out to be a terrible boss who made money off the backs of abusing workers and has made the club...middling at best.

Just shows how great a person he is :)

Quite. His comments about allegations of sexual harrassment at his shabby sports company were genuinely astonishing. Even more so for the fact he made them to a parliamentary select committee.

However, since the video is fundamentally intended to educate people about Ashley's tenure as the owner of a football club, they've captured the surface of the criticisms while missing the substance.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Im not sure who’s meant to buy the notion that Ashley was a NUFC fan. Lifelong Home Counties/London man who came of age in the 70s/early 80s when Newcastle werent exactly having their glory years.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

I kind of figured Leicester, Wolverhampton and West Ham might be able to put pressure on United/Chelsea/Arsenal this year but didn't really realize Palace were doing so well.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
4f7ed032b98ae392520d533b493e158f.jpg

On that note.

With Pochettino doing his Moaninho impersonation lately I'm starting to wonder if Spurs are headed for another Jol-situation.

Pochettino seems completely lethargic and uninterested at the moment. Never seen him like this before. Perfect reflection of how Spurs are playing football at the moment.

Too early to say anything with certainty. The mood might be completely different if Spurs beat Arsenal in a couple of days, but I'm going to stick my neck out and predict that Pochettino leaves/gets fired come spring/summer. This is not just a blip any longer. This is a serious issue for Spurs and at the moment Pochettino is in my opinion the one that bears the most responsibility for the situation Spurs are in.

Hopefully this post gets quoted with people laughing at me 6 months from now.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If you take out the 4 points Brighton got his year we would be dead last. Reminder of why change was needed come the end of last season.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Looking at Man Utd current situation.

How can they score goals (or win matches for that matter) with their current squad??????
United biggest problem; can't score goals. (read: can't create enough quality scoring chances)

Sanchez gone, Martial injured, midfield is a dud even with Paul Pogba in the starting 11, in the wing back's; Shaw is injured (again)
Bissaka is great defensively but complete shadow of itself offensively, what last season for Crystal Palace.

Their next opponent is Southampton @ St.Mary's, looking at their squad vs United squad.

Southampton has more firepower in front, due to the injury of Martial,
Saints midfield is way better, more mobile and stronger what United's, Saint's Wing back's are better,...

Comparing both teams, squads, managers, style, system, current form.
I think @ St.Marys next Saturday, the Saints (at the moment) are the favorites to win this match.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Looking at Man Utd current situation.

How can they score goals (or win matches for that matter) with their current squad??????
United biggest problem; can't score goals. (read: can't create enough quality scoring chances)

Sanchez gone, Martial injured, midfield is a dud even with Paul Pogba in the starting 11, in the wing back's; Shaw is injured (again)
Bissaka is great defensively but complete shadow of itself offensively, what last season for Crystal Palace.

Their next opponent is Southampton @ St.Mary's, looking at their squad vs United squad.

Southampton has more firepower in front, due to the injury of Martial,
Saints midfield is way better, more mobile and stronger what United's, Saint's Wing back's are better,...

Comparing both teams, squads, managers, style, system, current form.
I think @ St.Marys next Saturday, the Saints (at the moment) are the favorites to win this match.
For someone who isn’t a United fan, you spend a lot of time thinking and talking about them.

What’s funnier is that you are wrong about so many things. AWB is fine going forward. Only reason he isn’t considered one of the best RBs in the PL is because he was at Crystal Palace. Only RB I take over him is TAA. Rest are arguable. Southampton barely has anything up front. United have Rashford, James, and Greenwood. All of them are better than anything Southampton has off the top of my head. Am I saying it’s a walk in the park? No. But to say that Southampton are favorites is just laughable.

Reactions: Jussi

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
For someone who isn’t a United fan, you spend a lot of time thinking and talking about them.

What’s funnier is that you are wrong about so many things. AWB is fine going forward. Only reason he isn’t considered one of the best RBs in the PL is because he was at Crystal Palace. Only RB I take over him is TAA. Rest are arguable. Southampton barely has anything up front. United have Rashford, James, and Greenwood. All of them are better than anything Southampton has off the top of my head. Am I saying it’s a walk in the park? No. But to say that Southampton are favorites is just laughable.
I would also take at least Cancelo and Pereira over AWB. Reece James and Max Aarons are both pretty great too.

Reactions: Cassano

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I would also take at least Cancelo and Pereira over AWB. Reece James and Max Aarons are both pretty great too.
So basically three players that combined have less career PL games played than AWB has this season and a guy who I have on the same level.

Let’s say that you are right though and Cancelo and Pereira are better. That still makes AWB a top 5 RB in the PL at 21.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So basically three players that combined have less career PL games played than AWB has this season and a guy who I have on the same level.

Let’s say that you are right though and Cancelo and Pereira are better. That still makes AWB a top 5 RB in the PL at 21.
Yeah I don't have a problem with saying that, or at least that he's arguably a top 5 RB in the PL at 21 (I think there's probably a few on a similar level give or take). He certainly was impressive last season and hasn't looked out of place for United. Taking Cancelo and Pereira over him wasn't meant to be an insult as I rate them both very highly.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

I'm high on James as a prospect and I'm very very excited for him to be healthy and playing, but I'm gonna wait for him to play a full EPL season before putting him on a similar level to Wan Bisakka, especially considering how AWB has hit the ground running at United.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad