Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Salah voted player of the month for Liverpool. Just silly. His following is cult like.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean sounds about right. They are the personification (teamification?) of sum is greater than the parts. Klopp built the team right by buying specific players/player types rather than individuals.
If by right you mean he’s always been an idiot than yeah agreed

Reactions: les Habs

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
That's actually pretty significant for them.

Stones and Otamendi are their only natural CBs so they'd be stuck throwing someone like Fernandinho or one of the FBs in there for rotation or if there's another injury,
At least until January.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Liverpool's 5 point lead after 5 matches is the largest in PL history. If only that had any meaning.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Will Liverpool go for the hattrick? Leading by New Year for then not to win? :D

Early days, but surprised by how average City and Spurs have looked. Didn't think Liverpool were especially good the first couple of games either, but they got away with the points. If that team stays healthy I don't see anyone catching them. A bit ridiculous to say this early on, but when healthy they have been consistent enough for a long enough time to warrant that statement.

And very little would please me more than City struggling. Spurs finally looked like a team again on Saturday so if they can continue playing like that I could see Spurs overtaking City. Not likely, but not impossible. Pochettino looks like his old self again all of a sudden and after that team meeting the whole team finally tried to play football with some enthusiasm. When that happens Spurs are quite OK.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Just took a look at the advanced stats 5 weeks into the season (obviously awaiting West Ham/Villa)

Top 5 in xG

City (14.17) , Liverpool (10.68), Chelsea (9.59) , United (8.76), Watford (8.08). West Ham is 6th (7.87), so expect them to jump into the top 5 after today.

Top 5 in xGA

United (3.31), Leicester (4.35), Liverpool (4.88), City (5.77), Sheffield (6.17)

5 worst in xGA (or the bet the over section)

Bournemouth (10.12), Norwich (9.60), Arsenal (9.35), West Ham (9.05), Newcastle (8.53)

Nothing too surprising to me. I think United's metrics are positive but a bit of an outlier. They've played generally in control most games, and haven't allowed many chances at all. But I think their squad lacks the talent to close the gap on these expected numbers - I imagine by season's end they'll have a much higher xG than actual goals, and their xpoints will be much higher than their actual points.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Just took a look at the advanced stats 5 weeks into the season (obviously awaiting West Ham/Villa)

Top 5 in xG

City (14.17) , Liverpool (10.68), Chelsea (9.59) , United (8.76), Watford (8.08). West Ham is 6th (7.87), so expect them to jump into the top 5 after today.

Top 5 in xGA

United (3.31), Leicester (4.35), Liverpool (4.88), City (5.77), Sheffield (6.17)

5 worst in xGA (or the bet the over section)

Bournemouth (10.12), Norwich (9.60), Arsenal (9.35), West Ham (9.05), Newcastle (8.53)

Nothing too surprising to me. I think United's metrics are positive but a bit of an outlier. They've played generally in control most games, and haven't allowed many chances at all. But I think their squad lacks the talent to close the gap on these expected numbers - I imagine by season's end they'll have a much higher xG than actual goals, and their xpoints will be much higher than their actual points.
Woof Arsenal.

I think West Ham will get a little more solid defensively as the season goes on. They and Leicester at the moment look most likely to 'break the top 6'. Watford's xG surprises me though I can't say I've watched much of theirs outside of the weekly extended highlights of the PL.

Lampard has impressed me so far. I expected a much rougher transition and even though I don't think their team is great I think they've looked exciting which is probably the best case that Chelsea could have hoped for. They're a fun team to watch right now even if that means potentially missing out on Europe for a season or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->