Premier League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
However one group is playing Arsenal and one group is playing Wolves. Arsenal, should, by all means finish above Wolves.
So they try harder against Arsenal?

Using last year's standings make Man United a good side. You faced them at the opportune moment

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
United fixtures between now and the November break include at the Bridge and Ethiad. I think Mourinho will be sacked right after the match at the Ethiad heading into the break. Want to be wrong though, keep him around.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Pogba isn't the cause of Man United's problems, but he also isn't the solution (quite clearly as their overall performance level has stagnated since his arrival). He was bought to be the solution.

To me it's felt like none of Man United's transfer moves over the last 3-4 years were made with any vision of how a cohesive squad would look at the end of it all. It's one of the more mind-boggling things in football that you spend so much money and at the end of it you still have Fellaini play regularly in midfield.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Pogba is the best player on United after de Gea. I would've said easily, but I suggest that de Gea is the best goalkeeper in the world so best outfield player is more like it.

Anyone who says otherwise is going out to lunch on that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gecklund

WildNorway

Jan 13, 2017
Pogba is the best player on United after de Gea. I would've said easily, but I suggest that de Gea is the best goalkeeper in the world so best outfield player is more like it.

De Gea is not the best keeper in the world.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

How do you measure "best player" on a team that's constantly misfiring an offers nothing?

Pogba hasn't accomplished a single thing at United. He hasn't shown any consistent or sustained high performance.

He has individual quality, that's undeniable, but it doesn't really translate to points for Man United. So what's the point? If his attitude is so rotten that he's not only shirking ownership of the situation, and refusing to take things head on, but he's also causing discord with the squad and making inflammatory statements - what good is he, really? Wouldn't a Jonjo Shelvy or any other vaguely similar CM be overall just as effective as Pogba? Isn't that sad?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
How do you measure "best player" on a team that's constantly misfiring an offers nothing?

Pogba hasn't accomplished a single thing at United. He hasn't shown any consistent or sustained high performance.

He has individual quality, that's undeniable, but it doesn't really translate to points for Man United. So what's the point? If his attitude is so rotten that he's not only shirking ownership of the situation, and refusing to take things head on, but he's also causing discord with the squad and making inflammatory statements - what good is he, really? Wouldn't a Jonjo Shelvy or any other vaguely similar CM be overall just as effective as Pogba? Isn't that sad?
Yeah but have you seen the quality of this long balls, tricks and throughballs that inevitably land on the foot of the opposition? They're very nice.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You of all people shouldn't be dunking on others about results and accomplishments mattering over skill/potential/personal view of players.
I'm not really sure what this references; I've always championed players that don't get attention because they're not flashy, but contribute more than people realize. I've also always thought players like Pogba, Coutinho, etc. were overrated based on their contributions (for a while I thought Coutinho had incredible potential, but he just never gained the consistency and intelligence IMO). So, I'm not really sure what this post is meant to reference tbh.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
De Gea is not the best keeper in the world.
He is and I say this as a rival fan. Neuer is up there with age now and isn't looking as athletic compared to the last World Cup (still top 3 though).

Ederson isn't even a top 5-8 shot blocker in the EPL alone. He plays on a mega deep team who's out there due to his ball distribution more than anything else. A 36-year-old Cech who I want replaced is still a better goalkeeper than freakin Ederson.

How about you setup a manager who knows how to conduct an offencive attack before criticizing and putting all the blame on Pogba. The recent World Cup shows that he has the tools to be a work horse out there on both ends of the pitch. As an example of this validity, just look at how brutally poor Alexis has been since coming from the Arsenal.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I'm not really sure what this references; I've always championed players that don't get attention because they're not flashy, but contribute more than people realize. I've also always thought players like Pogba, Coutinho, etc. were overrated based on their contributions (for a while I thought Coutinho had incredible potential, but he just never gained the consistency and intelligence IMO). So, I'm not really sure what this post is meant to reference tbh.

Ahh I actually read your reply and the comment you replied to about accomplishments together as one, not paying full attention. Mea culpa.

Reactions: YNWA14

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
He is and I say this as a rival fan. Neuer is up there with age now and isn't looking as athletic compared to the last World Cup (still top 3 though).
How much of Neuer have you seen? He's been lights out this year aside from, what I think, a single goal against.

How about you setup a manager who knows how to conduct an offencive attack before criticizing and putting all the blame on Pogba. The recent World Cup shows that he has the tools to be a work horse out there on both ends of the pitch. As an example of this validity, just look at how brutally poor Alexis has been since coming from the Arsenal.
Mou hasn't put all the blame on Pogba, be honest.

He was fine at the world cup but it's a one month mega tournament and not a full season. His success at the world cup doesn't necessarily mean he's a good player for 40+ games a season for United. Which goes back to my initial point - if he's not winning United any points and he's not taking any ownership of the situation and is in fact disrupting things - what good is he?

Mou's failures with United are, I'd say, uncharacteristic. LvG, my favourite manager, somewhat failed there too. I think it's United, it's not the managers. They have no real playmaking talent and it stems from there. Pogba isn't that guy.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How much of Neuer have you seen? He's been lights out this year aside from, what I think, a single goal against.
Bundesliga is Bayern's playground, even if that team is aging. They poached talent from their only rival in the standings and can play the tough kid on the playground attitude all they want. Neuer's true test is in the CL, which they haven't looked good the past couple of years. He's number two behind de Gea and there isn't anything wrong with that.

Mou hasn't put all the blame on Pogba, be honest.

He was fine at the world cup but it's a one month mega tournament and not a full season. His success at the world cup doesn't necessarily mean he's a good player for 40+ games a season for United. Which goes back to my initial point - if he's not winning United any points and he's not taking any ownership of the situation and is in fact disrupting things - what good is he?

Mou's failures with United are, I'd say, uncharacteristic. LvG, my favourite manager, somewhat failed there too. I think it's United, it's not the managers. They have no real playmaking talent and it stems from there. Pogba isn't that guy.
I am not saying Mourinho is entirely to blame nor I am saying that Pogba isn't a saint either. However, there is a long list of players and history where they turned into offencive blackholes under Mourinho. This is quite well documented and we're seeing it once again with the likes of Martial, Pogba, and Alexis all suffering to put up goals (to some degree Mata as well). Only player who looks competent out there is Rashford. LvG failed because all the transfer targets he wanted failed in the EPL. In a sense, I agree that one mega tournament doesn't determine a player, however Pogba clearly showed that with a more appropriate manager, he can succeed. He also needs to get off his high-horse and realise that because he's a football star who just won the World Cup, it doesn't make him a greek god or something similar.

With that said, spending 105 million on him just doesn't make sense and never made sense for me considering how dire their back line is. It needed some desperate upgrades there since SAF left, who also left the club in a shambolic state. Fred is another target who's looking to add to United's long list of failures of transfer targets at the club.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
What is the long list of players that turned into offensive black holes under Mourinho?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad