Premier League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I know it is far too early to be talking predictions for next year. But can people see an Arsenal resurgence occurring this year? I may be on the optimistic side of things, but a full season of Auba and Mkhi, plus the new tactics of Unai Emery and hopefully a new energy among the players; I honestly think this team will be achieving top 4.

I do not think there will be an intense downward spiral as most have predicted, this is the start of the way back to the top for me!

What I can say is that I have been very impressed with Aubameyang. I think he will have a big year.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Neuer impacts the game a whole lot more being a sweeper keeper. In terms of pure shot stopping though he’s equal if not better(barely).

I would say shot stopping is one of the things DDG has over Neur.

I would also say Neur has a far easier job being the GK of Bayern, compared to DDG being the GK for United. But that brings up a whole different debate ;)

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Thought Mahrez was brilliant last year - even better than the year they won. Ridiculous fee though. He is not especially young any longer. So even if I believe he will strengthen City only a plastic fantastic club could spend that kind of money on him and not care.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Wow that price for Mahrez?

That's epic awful.

Sad but true, though...that's just today's markets.

Mahrez is one hell of a footballer,
might be a slight over payment,
but in two years that money is payed back in fold.

Under Pep he will be oh so much better what for Leicester.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Haha. Almost makes Andy Carroll a steal for Liverpool.

It´s a bit silly, but most fans don´t seem to care about City, PSG etc. I guess most fans are just crossing their fingers they will by random be the next club being bought by one of these.......

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

It´s a bit silly, but most fans don´t seem to care about City, PSG etc. I guess most fans are just crossing their fingers they will by random be the next club being bought by one of these.......

It's more defeatism on my part. There's no preventing the sugardaddy clubs at this point, or even the corporate clubs that we have here in germany. So all I can really hope for is that they use that obscene wealth to play attractive football and push the evolution of this sport with innovative coaches like Pep & Tuchel.

aka why I'm hoping that RB can snag Nagelsmann if Bayern snubs him again next summer

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

I would rather have the club owned by them than Kroenke.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

That's weird.
PSG has not really overpaid for most of their players.
Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, Kurzawa, Meunier, Berchiche, Alves, Trapp, Matuidi, Verratti, Motta, Di Maria, Cavani, were all either cheap, free or at a good price. Areola, Rabiot, Nkunku were home products.
We're left with Mbappe and Neymar, the two most expensive players in history. Would you say it was necessarily an overpayment? That's arguable.
In any case, putting them in the same breath as City is laughable. To say the least.

Meanwhile Spurs pay a massive price for average at best players like Sissoko and you don't consider them overpayers and would rather point elsewhere.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
That's weird.
PSG has not really overpaid for most of their players.
Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, Kurzawa, Meunier, Berchiche, Alves, Trapp, Matuidi, Verratti, Motta, Di Maria, Cavani, were all either cheap, free or at a good price. Areola, Rabiot, Nkunku were home products.
We're left with Mbappe and Neymar, the two most expensive players in history. Would you say it was necessarily an overpayment? That's arguable.
In any case, putting them in the same breath as City is laughable. To say the least.

Meanwhile Spurs pay a massive price for average at best players like Sissoko and you don't consider them overpayers and would rather point elsewhere.

Don't see how his comment about PSG had anything to do with them overpaying for players. He was simply noting that these teams spend a lot.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Don't see how his comment about PSG had anything to do with them overpaying for players.
Really?
Mahrez overpayment. Then he says that's Caroll territory. Then says City and PSG are hoped by fans to knock at the door for their players.

:huh:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Really?
Mahrez overpayment. Then he says that's Caroll territory. Then says City and PSG are hoped to knock at the door for their players.

:huh:

Read again. He isn't talking about clubs wanting their players bought from them, he is talking about clubs being bought by similar owners.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Hahaha. Sure.

Well, he cost lmost 100 million and how he has performed for them....mostly he has been crap (sure he was pretty good last season),
mainly because he plays the wrong position and because Mourinho's driving the buss all day.

When Pogba played for Juve, he was one of the best in the world, now....meh,
now he is best known for his ever changing hair color and crying/complaining.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Mahrez at that price is bad but consider Sterling for a moment. Now basically any transfer to the EPL the last few years. Yeah, that's hyperbole but the market right now is lunacy. How far will it go is anyones case but there are only a handful of transfer that don't make me go wow that much... Even Mpabbe and Neymar are ridiculous but at least given their talent level they might get the money back. In case of the latter I'm betting on it.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I have always felt Sterling was overrated, but got to give him credit for how he has developed under Guardiola. He is the best football I have ever seen that really can´t kick the ball.

With Sterling you pay for homegrown and age. If Mahrez had been 5 years younger he would have been worth 75m in a world were van Dijk will cost you that much (obviously difficult to directly compare, but...). Now he is worth 75m because City don´t care. Villa might get slapped by FFP, but not City. I don´t know if it is funny or sad. Probably a bit of both - funny in a very sad way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad