Premier League 2018-2019 Part II

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah definitely ignore the fact that he got Bournemouth promoted to the PL in 6 tries from League 2 and then on the smallest budget in the PL has had them finished in 16th at worst. In their first year. Now they’re basically one of the 11-12 best teams in the league. What Howe has done since he took over is nothing short of incredible and speaks to his managerial prowess.

United tried once having a mid-table club coach and we all know how that went.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
United tried once having a mid-table club coach and we all know how that went.

As opposed to the big names we’ve signed recently?

How many top managers just magically appeared at a top club and didn’t manage a middle or lower table team before? That’s just bad argument.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's really enough evidence for you? You're just going to discount everything else he's done for Bournemouth because Mourinho has way better players/options to change games with?

I mean, if you don't want Howe - that's fine , but that reasoning is a little off , imo.

Yes. People, who were definitely United fans, at the biggest Finnish footie board were baffled by Howe's substitutions.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yes. People, who were definitely United fans, at the biggest Finnish footie board were baffled by Howe's substitutions.

Only one game is enough for you to write him off forever? Especially when you do nothing but defend mourinho and all the amazing decisions he’s made this year.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Only one game is enough for you to write him off forever? Especially when you do nothing but defend mourinho and all the amazing decisions he’s made this year.

I'm not defending him nor all his decisions, just pointing out the realities of the situation (such as firing him for the sake of firing without a suitable replacement).

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Moyes was not a mid table coach either, he had Everton pretty well established from 5th to 7th for a period of almost a decade while spending pennies.

Someone is revising history to suit their needs.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Moyes was not a mid table coach either, he had Everton pretty well established from 5th to 7th for a period of almost a decade while spending pennies.

Someone is revising history to suit their needs.

Moyes has never shown to be a manager worthy of United before, during nor after. Do I really need to remind you of the game United set that record number of crosses in a game without accomplishing anything?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
His best season with United was under Mourinho's first season. He's had lots of minor injury issues the past two seasons though. He got injured in the beginning of this season as well.
You just talked about two years ago being Herrera's best form.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Explaining to a bunch of United fans that the current state is a result of too high expectations and an average squad, and that a managerial & system change wouldn't do much, while rooting for a team that just started a MF of Milner, Henderson & Wijnaldum in a CL final is some of your best work here.
This is all true and Fabinho is looking like a terrible buy, but I have much more faith in him turning it around in a potential "adjustment" frame than whatever the **** is going on with Fred.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Quit changing your arguments man, you said Moyes was a mid table manager when appointed Man United manager. He clearly wasn't and what he has done since really doesn't matter. I would point out that he finished 7th, and since your new managers have started getting backed much better by Woodward financially: 4th, 5th, 6th, and a 19 point 2nd behind the leader City.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Explaining to a bunch of United fans that the current state is a result of too high expectations and an average squad, and that a managerial & system change wouldn't do much, while rooting for a team that just started a MF of Milner, Henderson & Wijnaldum in a CL final is some of your best work here.

:clap:

Ah yes, the advanced grasp on football that Finland is famous for...
Perhaps stick to a sport you actually know, like hockey?

I kid. ;)

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Manchester United is a Big Club and need a Big Name Manager, a person who doesn't exist who will be expected to provide a consistent level of achievement he will never be able to manage. About the only person who could manage it if given the appropriate support and resources is currently employed by a team who beat them 3-1 at the weekend.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Ah yes, the advanced grasp on football that Finland is famous for...
Perhaps stick to a sport you actually know, like hockey?

I kid. ;)

Finnish football fans have decades worth of experience on gloryhunting English football teams, North American are catching up late. We used to have the weekly Saturday game since like the 60's or 70's on tv. I mean, pretty much every PL team has it's own thread in the Team Threads sections there and posters actually know the teams and players. That's why why there were several posters (not United fans)who were stunned/puzzled by Howe's subs at the end of the game (took out the wrong players/subbed in the wrong ones) and after the final whistle they said "and that's probably why Howe isn't on the radars of bigger clubs".

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Quit changing your arguments man, you said Moyes was a mid table manager when appointed Man United manager. He clearly wasn't and what he has done since really doesn't matter. I would point out that he finished 7th, and since your new managers have started getting backed much better by Woodward financially: 4th, 5th, 6th, and a 19 point 2nd behind the leader City.

7 is close enough to me for mid-table. It's also related to the type of football he made United play (nothing but crosses into the box). Moyes also hasn't changed that impression after getting sacked.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Manchester United is a Big Club and need a Big Name Manager, a person who doesn't exist who will be expected to provide a consistent level of achievement he will never be able to manage. About the only person who could manage it if given the appropriate support and resources is currently employed by a team who beat them 3-1 at the weekend.

But the thing is....Manchester United has not been a big club since sir Alex Ferguson retired,
and by not being a big club, i mean success (1x lucky Europa League win, 1x lucky FA Cup win, 2x Community shields
doesn't scream success if you ask me)

Last season 2nd place meant absolutely nothing, all of the top teams (except City) had really bad seasons.
(United since Ferguson retirement: 7th, 4th, 6th, 2nd).
Same goes for 14-15 season (4th), where City,Liverpool and the Spurs greatly under performed.

The only reason United didn't get relegated in the 13-14 season and in the 15-16 season stands between the posts, David DeGea.
The advanced statistics clearly show this. (number of given quality scoring chances per game and
number of quality saves per game by DeGea)

It was something like 35 points what DeGea got to Man Utd pot in the 13-14 season,
and when minus'd from their total of 64 points, would of put them under the relegation zone.

15-16 season United played record number of 1 goal EPL games, total of 21 of 38, when you top
9 draws to that, you get 29. In 29 games out of 38 United matches ended up either in a draw,
one goal wins or in one goal losses. Again advanced stats showed, if it wasn't DeGea
United would of been relegated - what comes to the FA Cup win in the same season...
Well, those who remember the match or followed the FA Cup that season know,
it could of been completely different story for United, not just only in the final.

In number of clean sheets by DeGea, DeGea is in his own tier above others.
- no other goalkeeper has as many clean sheets or 1 goal wins what DeGea in the big 4
(EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A) past 7 years.

Ive said this a million times before (elsewhere) Manchester United needs to rebuild,
to stop thinking that they are THE Manchester United what once they were
the only common "nominator" to that legendary team, is only their name.

They need someone like Howe to direct their ship back to the correct lane
and give him time, lots, at least 5 years, maybe even more.

United need to stop bringing those 2nd tier "top talents" with top money,
but rather, let Howe (if one day Howe is signed that is) to build a team that looks like him,
bring young and veteran hungry and talented offensive players (midfielders,strikers, forwards)
and bring ball ready defensemen,who can give the important first pass forwards and coolly clear the ball away
and obviously get d-men who posses ability to play smart in the own d-zone.
not to bring in players like Lindelöf.

Stop spending **** loads of money and stop hiring those "big name" managers.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think managers that could succeed at United are all employed except two. Zidane and Blanc.

I think Zidane will succeed because he's a manager that has got the best out of RM team with huge egos. If everyone is playing up to form, United will be fine. Pogba, Martial, Lukaku, Fred, etc. are fine offensively (we still need a RW but that's going to happen no matter what). But our D is trash no matter what way you cut it. We need a CB, RB, and DM. If Bailly and Lindelof can regain form than a CB becomes a much lesser of a need. If Dalot can progress and play well then fantastic, we don't need a RB. If Pereira can keep progressing, we should be okay at DM. These are all players we have at the club currently. Spend the 100M this winter to get Dembele and get everyone back to form (or at least close to it) and call it a day.

I think everyone knows my opinion on Blanc so I'm not going to post much. Just that his possession system will hide weaknesses we have.

But the thing is....Manchester United has not been a big club since sir Alex Ferguson retired,
and by not being a big club, i mean success (1x lucky Europa League win, 1x lucky FA Cup win, 2x Community shields
doesn't scream success if you ask me)

Last season 2nd place meant absolutely nothing, all of the top teams (except City) had really bad seasons.
(United since Ferguson retirement: 7th, 4th, 6th, 2nd).
Same goes for 14-15 season (4th), where City,Liverpool and the Spurs greatly under performed.

The only reason United didn't get relegated in the 13-14 season and in the 15-16 season stands between the posts, David DeGea.
The advanced statistics clearly show this. (number of given quality scoring chances per game and
number of quality saves per game by DeGea)

It was something like 35 points what DeGea got to Man Utd pot in the 13-14 season,
and when minus'd from their total of 64 points, would of put them under the relegation zone.

15-16 season United played record number of 1 goal EPL games, total of 21 of 38, when you top
9 draws to that, you get 29. In 29 games out of 38 United matches ended up either in a draw,
one goal wins or in one goal losses. Again advanced stats showed, if it wasn't DeGea
United would of been relegated - what comes to the FA Cup win in the same season...
Well, those who remember the match or followed the FA Cup that season know,
it could of been completely different story for United, not just only in the final.

In number of clean sheets by DeGea, DeGea is in his own tier above others.
- no other goalkeeper has as many clean sheets or 1 goal wins what DeGea in the big 4
(EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A) past 7 years.

Ive said this a million times before (elsewhere) Manchester United needs to rebuild,
to stop thinking that they are THE Manchester United what once they were
the only common "nominator" to that legendary team, is only their name.

They need someone like Howe to direct their ship back to the correct lane
and give him time, lots, at least 5 years, maybe even more.

United need to stop bringing those 2nd tier "top talents" with top money,
but rather, let Howe (if one day Howe is signed that is) to build a team that looks like him,
bring young and veteran hungry and talented offensive players (midfielders,strikers, forwards)
and bring ball ready defensemen,who can give the important first pass forwards and coolly clear the ball away
and obviously get d-men who posses ability to play smart in the own d-zone.
not to bring in players like Lindelöf.

Stop spending **** loads of money and stop hiring those "big name" managers.

Well this is the most uneducated post I've seen in a while and that includes the Ligue 1 Farmers comment.

To start, Liverpool made it to a CL final and Spurs made it out of a group of death with RM and Dortmund. City obviously had a record setting season. But apparently none of the top teams had a good season. :laugh:

United didn't get relegated because they are too good to get relegated. De Gea has been fantastic but to say he is the ONLY reason is ignorant to say the least.

This isn't hockey/basketball/any sport with a draft. There's no reason to rebuild. You don't get a top draft pick.

Lindelof has been absolutely solid and one of the best CB in the PL this year.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Zidane was involved at Real Madrid for over a decade before becoming manager. He wouldn't be able to go to a different club in a different country with no history there and manage to be successful.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Zidane was involved at Real Madrid for over a decade before becoming manager. He wouldn't be able to go to a different club in a different country with no history there and manage to be successful.
Are you sure? Cause I’m pretty sure with Zidane comes respect. Especially from two of our most important players that also happen to be French (Pogba and Martial)

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
There's honestly no way of knowing if Zidane would be a success at United or not . You can state what you think might happen , but acting as if you're an oracle serves no purpose.

It's a completely different set of challenges in Manchester vs Madrid , I think we all know that , but that doesn't mean Zidane is for certain incapable of doing a good job at United.

Fact is, we haven't seen Zidane outside of Madrid managing a lesser club. Until we do, we won't know what he's capable of.

Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad