Premier League 2018-2019 Part II

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
van Dijk, Mane, Hazard, Sterling, Silva and Aguero shortlisted for the PFA player of the year.

PFA Player of the Year: Sterling, Van Dijk, Aguero, Hazard, Mane & Silva on shortlist

Maybe it's bias but I feel it has to go to van Dijk. Nice to see Mane get recognition though.

The correct six, an absolute no brainer of a shortlist (it's Bernardo, not David BTW, for anyone who is just scrolling by).

It'll be Van Dijk, and correctly so.

Shortlist for Young Player:

Sterling, Alexander-Arnold, B. Silva, Rice, Brooks, and Rashford.

Sterling would make the most sense, but often they treat it as more of a "breakout player" rather than best player in the age group who may already be established, so I wouldn't be shocked if it were Alexander-Arnold.

Team of the Year will be something like this:

Aguero - Sterling
Hazard - Silva - Silva - Mane
Robertson - Laporte - VvD - Alexander-Arnold
Allison​

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Feels like they should lower the age requirements for young player of the year. Sterling and Silva don't feel like they qualify for young players anymore, at least not when compared with TAA, Rice, Brooks or Rashford. Although even for Rashford it's starting to feel odd calling him a young player despite him only being 21 and theoretically having 3 more years of eligibility for the award.

Reactions: Machinehead

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Considering Rashford has been around since, what, the second half of the '15-'16 season, I would have to agree. Nobody's expecting players to burst on the scene from the moment they debut or turn 18 or whatever but for someone to win a young players' award when they're well into their senior team careers is a bit bizarre to think about.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Feels like they should lower the age requirements for young player of the year. Sterling and Silva don't feel like they qualify for young players anymore, at least not when compared with TAA, Rice, Brooks or Rashford. Although even for Rashford it's starting to feel odd calling him a young player despite him only being 21 and theoretically having 3 more years of eligibility for the award.
They could either lower the age requirement or add a maximum appearances limit to the award, so that someone who starts at 18 can't still be winning it at 22, but someone who starts at 21 probably can.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't think it's age that's the problem. It's experience.

Yeah, Sterling is young, but this is what, his 6th PL season?

It should be like 3rd season or less. And you can only win it once, like Rookie of the Year.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
First signs of Ole getting tough in the Everton game press conference. Pretty much all the press conferences since he came in have been 100% positive.

Reactions: Gecklund

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
They could either lower the age requirement or add a maximum appearances limit to the award, so that someone who starts at 18 can't still be winning it at 22, but someone who starts at 21 probably can.
I don't think it's age that's the problem. It's experience.

Yeah, Sterling is young, but this is what, his 6th PL season?

It should be like 3rd season or less. And you can only win it once, like Rookie of the Year.

Yea appearance or season limit (where season is defined as a year with a certain number of games played)

I just checked and Sterling has more than 300 club appearances and almost 50 national team caps, and yet he’s a “young” player because he was 23 for a couple months at the start of the season.

The app limit also lets a guy like Brooks be considered while limiting a guy like Rashford. Right now Rashford actually has a year *more* eligibility for the award than Brooks because he was born a few months later.

100 career top flight apps at the start of the season seems a decent break point. That’s basically three full years or four partials before you’re ineligible.

Guys like TAA would have a year left. Rashford wouldn’t be eligible, obviously Sterling and Silva wouldn’t be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blender

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Obviously always a balance for any manager in terms of how positive you want/need to be. It made sense to be very positive in the beginning, but that was never going to be permanent. There need to be some accountability from the players as well. Only time will show is OGS will get this balance right. Mourinho is a good example of someone that could get away with a lot early on in his career while he in recent years clearly hasn´t got that balance right (when to be positive, when to support your players, when to challenge them etc.).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
With the way Arsenal are playing today we could give Man U some help. If we don't take the points here and get some separation Man U gets away with their terrible performance of today. The question becomes can OGS rebound if given the chance?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The correct six, an absolute no brainer of a shortlist (it's Bernardo, not David BTW, for anyone who is just scrolling by).

It'll be Van Dijk, and correctly so.

Shortlist for Young Player:

Sterling, Alexander-Arnold, B. Silva, Rice, Brooks, and Rashford.

Sterling would make the most sense, but often they treat it as more of a "breakout player" rather than best player in the age group who may already be established, so I wouldn't be shocked if it were Alexander-Arnold.

Team of the Year will be something like this:

Aguero - Sterling
Hazard - Silva - Silva - Mane
Robertson - Laporte - VvD - Alexander-Arnold
Allison​

Sterling and Rashford shouldn't be there, too proven and been in the league too long. Would like to have seen one of the Leicester guys in Chillwell or Maddison and Nevas from Wolves.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Mourinho despite his weaknesses mostly has method in his madness, Solskjær just looks exposed.

I mean I’d at least wait until next year to really start critiquing Ole. I do think hiring him was way to emotional of a decision, but I’d like to see what he can do when he gets a a couple new players and a full offseason to get the players adapted to his system.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I sat around 5th row at the Rose Bowl, I thought when I got there that I had picked a seat too close to the field, until I sat down and realized the stands are slightly raised off the field. Listened to Conte and Klopp going absolutely nuts with their instructions during a preseason game of all things. You don't forget that.

That was also the season Chelsea won the title and we got back in top four. What I realize in the aftermath of that was the level of instruction making that goes into creating a top team. Everything to the finest level of details is coached in the extreme.

Reactions: YNWA14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad