Premier League 2018-2019 Part II

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I think the Sanchez downturn is easily explainable due to his lack of freedom in this team; I know Barca supporters were never that high on him. Lukaku is performing at the same level he did at Everton and Mkhi just seems past his best and never fully adjusted to the PL. I don't think that it's really down to them 'underperforming' persay under Mou.

As a Liverpool fan, would you rather United extend Mourinho, or bring in Jardim/Blanc?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
As a Liverpool fan, would you rather United extend Mourinho, or bring in Jardim/Blanc?
Personally I don't really care. I'd rather they keep Mou only because he aggravates the fanbase more, but he's also a proven winner and I don't think Jardim/Blanc would get more out of this team and their buys have not been great of late so I don't think either of them would change the landscape immediately.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
On a completely unrelated note... what do people think of Eddie Howe as a manager? I think he’s a fantastic manager and what he’s done with Bournemouth is just so so impressive.

He's been my number 1 target for United for a couple years now.

I think he'd be a great replacement for Mourinho if fans are willing to be patient.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Was never very high on him to begin with to be honest; he's lacking in confidence currently but I think 16/17 Everton was the anomaly for him...he's much more of what he showed in his first season at United and previous seasons at Everton.

I do think United could have a good team (not great) if they played more openly and had Sanchez/Martial/Rashford up front supported by a midfield of Herrera, Pogba and Matic.

I still think that United getting 2nd last season with the quality they have and the style they play is a minor miracle.

They played about where they should and de gea was absolutely insane. This year they're well below where they should be.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I think he'd be a great replacement for Mourinho if fans are willing to be patient.

The big question is whether he can handle being the man at a top club, with ridiculous expectations and little patience. I think he could do it but we’ll never know till he makes that’s step. Huge fan of his though.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Personally I don't really care. I'd rather they keep Mou only because he aggravates the fanbase more, but he's also a proven winner and I don't think Jardim/Blanc would get more out of this team and their buys have not been great of late so I don't think either of them would change the landscape immediately.

Explaining to a bunch of United fans that the current state is a result of too high expectations and an average squad, and that a managerial & system change wouldn't do much, while rooting for a team that just started a MF of Milner, Henderson & Wijnaldum in a CL final is some of your best work here.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
The big question is whether he can handle being the man at a top club, with ridiculous expectations and little patience. I think he could do it but we’ll never know till he makes that’s step. Huge fan of his though.

This is the thing. You'll never know until you try it. United has tried the big name route with LVG and Mourinho.

Howe incorporates youth , he gets this generation of players , he plays attacking football , he works with what he has, he's receptive , humble, and willing to try new things.... I mean, for me, he checks a lot of boxes.

You give him a quality DOF , and let him build the club from the academy to the 1st team , and you might have another legacy manager.

Or, you can keep bringing in 2-3 year short term solutions for problems that can only be addressed in the long term.

United has lost their identity , and whilst Howe might not offer the same degree of certainty as a big name manager , he's a hell of a lot closer to what United supposedly stand for.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Explaining to a bunch of United fans that the current state is a result of too high expectations and an average squad, and that a managerial & system change wouldn't do much, while rooting for a team that just started a MF of Milner, Henderson & Wijnaldum in a CL final is some of your best work here.
I'm glad that you think so. Enjoy mid table.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I LOLed.
Hard.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
This is the thing. You'll never know until you try it. United has tried the big name route with LVG and Mourinho.

Howe incorporates youth , he gets this generation of players , he plays attacking football , he works with what he has, he's receptive , humble, and willing to try new things.... I mean, for me, he checks a lot of boxes.

You give him a quality DOF , and let him build the club from the academy to the 1st team , and you might have another legacy manager.

Or, you can keep bringing in 2-3 year short term solutions for problems that can only be addressed in the long term.

United has lost their identity , and whilst Howe might not offer the same degree of certainty as a big name manager , he's a hell of a lot closer to what United supposedly stand for.

Yup. I totally agree with all of this. I’d rather go for a younger manager with some long term potential and have him bust than cycle through older managers who won’t stay longer than a few seasons anyways.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Your saying while we started Fellaini in midfield yesterday...

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No I'm not saying liverpool are ****. I'm saying how someone could watch them and not see the glaring difference that coaching/managing/systems can make is crazy to me.

But coaching and management is only half the problem... it all stems from the top and Woodward’s complete lack of football knowledge.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
No I'm not saying liverpool are ****. I'm saying how someone could watch them and not see the glaring difference that coaching/managing/systems can make is crazy to me.
Except that's not what I said at all. The difference is that Klopp has molded the team to his liking and has players that fit his system, and regardless of how others like to joke they are quality players. Bringing in a new manager with a new system and trying to fit square pegs into round holes isn't going to change anything in a positive way (which is why I mentioned their poor transfers of late).

You asked for a discussion and then didn't like what you heard so quipped in with a one liner about Liverpool's midfield quality when it's clearly quite a bit higher level than United's.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
But coaching and management is only half the problem... it all stems from the top and Woodward’s complete lack of football knowledge.

Well, let's be honest, it goes higher than Ed. It starts with the Glazers.

I don't think they're completely poisonous owners , but they certainly don't elevate the club either. I do believe if the right people are hired, United can prosper once again , but getting those people and allowing them to do their job is the issue.

Whilst the Glazer do suck a lot of money out of the club, there's still enough to compete, imo. You can see by their transfers that the requisite money is available. But, there's so much wasted dough and a terrible job selling players too.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Well, let's be honest, it goes higher than Ed. It starts with the Glazers.

I don't think they're completely poisonous owners , but they certainly don't elevate the club either. I do believe if the right people are hired, United can prosper once again , but getting those people and allowing them to do their job is the issue.

Whilst the Glazer do suck a lot of money out of the club, there's still enough to compete, imo. You can see by their transfers that the requisite money is available. But, there's so much wasted dough and a terrible job selling players too.

I think the Glazers don’t really care what happens as long as money is being made. And as long as Woodward is there money will be made at a ridiculous rate. And since so much money is being made they have money to spend and don’t really care how much they’re spending(for the most part) since they can make it back so easily. So it’ll be interesting to see what happens when the DOF comes in terms of how much money is spent and how much smarter the buys come.

Reactions: Il Mediano

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
about Liverpool's midfield quality when it's clearly quite a bit higher level than United's.
See, individually, they are not.
And that's what good coaching does. It makes units better collectively than the sum of all 3.
Henderson+Wij+Milner is not of higher quality than Pogba+Herrera+Matic.
But they're playing better.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

After watching his game management vs United just recently, hard pass and I'm not the only one who thought so. Mourinho schooled him on substitutions.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I think the Glazers don’t really care what happens as long as money is being made. And as long as Woodward is there money will be made at a ridiculous rate. And since so much money is being made they have money to spend and don’t really care how much they’re spending(for the most part) since they can make it back so easily. So it’ll be interesting to see what happens when the DOF comes in terms of how much money is spent and how much smarter the buys come.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. There could be more funds available if the Glazers weren't paying off debt, but there's still enough. They just have to bit smarter than they typically would be being as rich as they are. United rakes in a ridiculous amount of revenue. There's really no excuse when you consider the football clubs like Dortmund and Sevilla can provide on shoe-string budgets (by comparison).

The transfer business post-Fergie has just been awful for the most part. I would get rid of so many guys on their roster if I was DoF of United , lol. They have the money as to where they don't have to worry about making profits on sales or receiving market value.

Sometimes I wonder if United were better off just keeping LVG. His football was super boring at times , but at least he was building a young foundation. Mourinho wants win-now players for a league he'll never win.

Last edited:

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
After watching his game management vs United just recently, hard pass and I'm not the only one who thought so. Mourinho schooled him on substitutions.

That's really enough evidence for you? You're just going to discount everything else he's done for Bournemouth because Mourinho has way better players/options to change games with?

I mean, if you don't want Howe - that's fine , but that reasoning is a little off , imo.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Except that's not what I said at all. The difference is that Klopp has molded the team to his liking and has players that fit his system, and regardless of how others like to joke they are quality players. Bringing in a new manager with a new system and trying to fit square pegs into round holes isn't going to change anything in a positive way (which is why I mentioned their poor transfers of late).

You asked for a discussion and then didn't like what you heard so quipped in with a one liner about Liverpool's midfield quality when it's clearly quite a bit higher level than United's.

They're already a team of square pegs in a round hole. They're already disjointed. They're already making bad buys driven by a bad manager who is past it.

Yes, I think a better manager with the rest of the season to work the current squad, and transfer windows to get some of their guys would be a hell of a lot better than the status quo. That is what we're talking about here.

If you saying that no manager is going to walk in and take this team over and win the league, I agree. It's gonna take a lot more than that. Otherwise, I'm not sure where you're going with this.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Yeah definitely ignore the fact that he got Bournemouth promoted to the PL in 6 tries from League 2 and then on the smallest budget in the PL has had them finished in 16th at worst. In their first year. Now they’re basically one of the 11-12 best teams in the league. What Howe has done since he took over is nothing short of incredible and speaks to his managerial prowess.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It also helps that United's bench for that game likely had more individual talent than Bournemouth's starting XI.

It's a hell of a lot easier to make great subs when you're pulling big country internationals off your bench.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
See, individually, they are not.
And that's what good coaching does. It makes units better collectively than the sum of all 3.
Henderson+Wij+Milner is not of higher quality than Pogba+Herrera+Matic.
But they're playing better.

Herrera is far from the form he was in two seasons ago and age is catching up to Matic sooner than hoped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->