Premier League 2018-2019 Part II

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Ball-retrieving is not an aspect of that role in Sarri's system. To me it's better to debate if Sarri's system can work with better players in England, than constantly going on about why Kante isn't in that spot when Kante doesn't have the characteristics for that spot.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not being biased at all, but I think Kante would do best at Liverpool. His style would be a perfect fit for Klopp's philosophy and structure.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah he would but we have Fabinho.

I think it is very likely Kante will be playing for a team in another country next season.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Kante at Spurs is mouth watering. Kante next to Winks would be dynamite.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think it's clear Chelsea will fire Sarri before we sell Kante. That's one of the few knowns in sports, Chelsea will choose the players before the manager, every single time.

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah he would but we have Fabinho.

I think it is very likely Kante will be playing for a team in another country next season.
I actually think Kante could play as one of the 8s in Klopp's system. His ability to win the ball and instantly transition forward is part of what makes him such an amazing player (and why he functioned so well as part of a double pivot as opposed to an out-and-out 6). A lot of ball winners end up slowing the game down after winning the ball, or just kicking the ball away in order to thwart the attack. With Klopp's high press Kante would be amazing at winning the ball and closing down angles to create turn overs, but also controlling the ball once won and finding a quick outlet forward or taking that space himself.

It's obviously a dream scenario but something like Fabinho behind Kante and Wijnaldum in Klopp's 4-3-3 or Fabinho and Kante as a double pivot with Keita playing the 10 in the 4-2-3-1 would be mouth watering.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Crouch really has had a hell of a career. He's averaged a goal every 4 games. In Europe and for England, he has scored every other game, 46 in 95. One of 28 players to have scored 100 in the PL. Pretty good.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Ball-retrieving is not an aspect of that role in Sarri's system. To me it's better to debate if Sarri's system can work with better players in England, than constantly going on about why Kante isn't in that spot when Kante doesn't have the characteristics for that spot.

It can work in England (or any where).

People were dropping the same hot-takes with Pep when he was playing the likes of Kolarov in centre-mid and they came 4th in the league. Their philosophies aren't that different, nor the patterns of play. Sarri actually encourages more verticality than Pep, which funny enough, would lead to you beleive it's more conducive to the English game.

The major difference is Pep managed Bayern and Barca , and had titles, so the hot-take artists didn't have as much ammunition.

As for the other guy recieving a daily pasting, Jorginho, lets not forget Pep wanted him pretty badly. I'm almost certain had he gone to city this narrative wouldn't exist at all. He'd be orchestrating a a side that's perfectly in-tune.

It's going to take time for Chelsea's squad to understand the system (yes,longer than 7-8 months) and if you want, I could highlight the issues in more depth for you guys -- or we could just keep tossing out hot-takes and bickering.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It can work in England (or any where).

People were dropping the same hot-takes with Pep when he was playing the likes of Kolarov in centre-mid and they came 4th in the league. Their philosophies aren't that different, nor the patterns of play. Sarri actually encourages more verticality than Pep, which funny enough, would lead to you beleive it's more conducive to the English game.

The major difference is Pep managed Bayern and Barca , and had titles, so the hot-take artists didn't have as much ammunition.

As for the other guy recieving a daily pasting, Jorginho, lets not forget Pep wanted him pretty badly. I'm almost certain had he gone to city this narrative wouldn't exist at all. He'd be orchestrating a a side that's perfectly in-tune.

It's going to take time for Chelsea's squad to understand the system (yes,longer than 7-8 months) and if you want, I could highlight the issues in more depth for you guys -- or we could just keep tossing out hot-takes and bickering.

Yep. Sarriball can be described as vertical tiki-taka. To me Jorginho isn't he issue in the midfield, it's the Kovacic spot. He doesn't track back well and he isn't great moving forward. On the left of defense you have Alonso and David Luiz who get exposed defensively and Alonso hasn't been good moving forward this season.

I have faith that Sarri would improve next season as players learn the system better and there are some squad improvements.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
To me Jorginho isn't he issue in the midfield, it's the Kovacic spot. He doesn't track back well and he isn't great moving forward.

Jorginho is the issue to some because it's forcing Kante to play in an unfamiliar position. If Kante wasn't on the roster , I don't think people would be so hard on Jorginho, but then again, it's England. I think people find it hard to separate the two.

Sarri wants that position to provide things Kante can't , and he's essentially trying to grow him into the Allan role. I rate Kante higher than Allan , but he doesn't have the technical quality the Brazilian possesses, imo. I still believe Kante can grow into that role , and make it his own, but people are so bloody impatient. No more so than Chelsea supporters, who are ruthless. Roman has built a culture of only caring about today , and the supporters have adopted that mindset.

As for Kovacic, he's essentially in the Hamsik position, when he should really be playing in the Allan role. Sarri wants that position to be dynamic, incisive and daring, but that's just not Kovacic's game. In theory, Barkley would fit that role much better, but he's just not a high enough quality player (imo).

On the left of defense you have Alonso and David Luiz who get exposed defensively and Alonso hasn't been good moving forward this season.

They're both pretty average defensively , without a doubt. I've never been an Alonso fan, he just has a total lack of appetite for working hard/defending , and despite being quality going forward (at times) , he's just not good enough in that regard to off-set his deficiencies defensively (like a Marcelo, for instance).

Luiz , as most know by now, is fine in a 3-man defence when he has protection and his lack of awareness/concentration/positioning can't be exploited to the same degree. I also think he's just not as good as he used to be. It happens to everyone.

That said, I think all the players on the roster can gradually find ways to become productive pieces of Sarri's system. They just need to get it drilled in their heads , and then each player can find their niche , and Sarri can tinker to fit each player's attributes.

But the basics have to become instinctual first. Time is the only solution. Right now, there's several players who simply just don't understand what they should be doing , or worse, they're refusing to follow instructions.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Guess they're stuck with Sarri now. Can't see a top manager coming if he can't buy any players.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So Chelsea has two choices now :
1/ They keep Sarri with this roster for over a year.
2/ They fire Sarri and hire someone who can actually do something with this roster for over a year.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
An appeal could give them next summer window to do some business actually. But I doubt the ban will be reduced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad