Premier League 2018-2019 Part II

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I mean, who cares. Those profits were heavily influenced by the Coutinho sale. Just like some of Chelsea's big profit years that are heavily influenced by player sales. None of the top clubs are hurting, it's just rich vs super rich.

Yeah, I'm genuinely not understanding the argument here. They are all in amazing financial condition by football standards.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
That is a bit like saying Everton is a sensational team - by football standards.

Anyway. I do agree it is not that interesting to discuss. The numbers speak for themselves.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Since the match day thread is closed...

@Corto Yes, it remains to be seen if Kovacic is World Class. I reckon he is already from a skill perspective, but the performances need to come together. When a player is his age or younger, I always look at it like "how good is he compared to players in his position or younger?" There seems to be a pretty good number of midfielders off the top of my head who are better or look like they'll be better. Of course CM is a deep position so it doesn't matter quite as much. I agree with you that the Madrid team he played on was a better fit and that is actually often overlooked when a player is evaluated. The problem is I just don't see him starting at Madrid that soon were he to go back.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Wasn't sure where else to put this but just watched Make Us Dream...kind of a Gerrard documentary on Amazon TV. Hit right in the feels...highly recommend to anyone. Definitely cried a little.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

giphy.gif

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Premier League Title Chances - Sports Club Stats

The numbers suggest a bigger gap than there actually is IMO.

Math indicates it’s closed to being wrapped up, but that’s far from the case. Plenty of season left still.

80% does not at all indicate it's close to being wrapped up, that still means failure 1 time out of 5. Although honestly I think 80% is a bit too low for Liverpool right now.

I'd say a team in their position (5 clear with 14 to play) should win the league 9 times out of 10 as opposed to 4 times out of 5.

Reactions: YNWA14

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Klopp's over reliance on James Milner, will cost them the league.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Verratti has done it for years. Like pretty much nobody else.
Ndombele is the new kind though. Not only can he cope with pressing pressure, but he breaks lines and is much more athletic and powerful than a Verratti (who resists pressure and delivers great passes, but doesn't rush).

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The Rise of Press-Resistant Midfielders | StatsBomb

Thought this was a pretty neat article. Doesn't give Wijnaldum enough credit, but it does at least mention him. Liverpool's midfield this season with and without Wijnaldum is absolute night and day. Dembele was always underrated (IMO).

Any idea the website where you can get those matrix wheels for per90 stats? the ones used in the article.

I can't remember which site it was that you can look at those by player/year.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Any idea the website where you can get those matrix wheels for per90 stats? the ones used in the article.

I can't remember which site it was that you can look at those by player/year.
Not really; I know that the base stats are all from Opta but the radars are made specifically by Statsbomb (at least those ones are). Not sure there's anywhere you can just go and ask for specific fields.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He’s not brutal as a squad player for cup games and stuff.

He absolutely shouldn’t be starting CL elimination round matches though.

Dalot may get better in time, but for now, we really need someone to take over at that spot.
Yep agreed. I still think an ideal summer is a top CB, RB, RW and a back up LB and maybe a CDM to take over for Matic. Obviously that’s a whole lot.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yep agreed. I still think an ideal summer is a top CB, RB, RW and a back up LB and maybe a CDM to take over for Matic. Obviously that’s a whole lot.

I’d focus on CB(Koulibaly) and a CDM. Mainly Koulibaly. Having a dominant CB like him changes so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad