Premier League 2017-2018

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You said that Salah didn't really deserve PotY and ignored that he's been producing literally since game 1 with Liverpool.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Salah deserved to be POTY. De Bruyne also deserved to be POTY. There can be only one.

To say one wasn't worthy is preposterous.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If KDB woulda won player of the year I wouldn’t have been up in arms about that. Being I’d say by far the best player on the best team in the league makes you a worthy POTY candidate. But it’s really hard to argue against Salah winning the POTY, both guys are more than deserving players.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You said that Salah didn't really deserve PotY and ignored that he's been producing literally since game 1 with Liverpool.
Never said anything of the sort. I mention that it's hard to judge and give Salah POTY award since he had a very strong second half of the season compared to KDB who had a very strong first half of the season. I was more targeting that majority of these awards in ANY sport don't really judge on consistent basis like Kane has been (except for his first month) for instance...they normally tend to target "what have you done for me lately" which I disagree with. Now with all that said, Salah should absolutely be a major candidate for POTY award just like Kane and KDB should also be other candidates. If Salah wins which he did then so be it, he deserved it, but lets not arguing that this was a cakewalk for him as KDB was just as good as he was in the first 3-5 months of the season.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Never said anything of the sort. I mention that it's hard to judge and give Salah POTY award since he had a very strong second half of the season compared to KDB who had a very strong first half of the season. I was more targeting that majority of these awards in ANY sport don't really judge on consistent basis like Kane has been (except for his first month) for instance...they normally tend to target "what have you done for me lately" which I disagree with. Now with all that said, Salah should absolutely be a major candidate for POTY award just like Kane and KDB should also be other candidates. If Salah wins which he did then so be it, he deserved it, but lets not arguing that this was a cakewalk for him as KDB was just as good as he was in the first 3-5 months of the season.

They were both fantastic, I don't think anyone who said Salah deserved POTY said otherwise. He didn't even start off slow either, they rotated him because they needed to beat Hoffenheim.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
They were both fantastic, I don't think anyone who said Salah deserved POTY said otherwise. He didn't even start off slow either, they rotated him because they needed to beat Hoffenheim.
That's where I disagree on, I called him Welbeck at the beginning of the year because he would miss 4 out of every 5 great chances he got. No one in their right mind would agree with the statement that Salah was better than KDB at the first quarter of the season. Hell, you lot of Reds were saying how amazing of a player Mane was....until he got injured and Salah took advantage of that (to a degree).

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That's where I disagree on, I called him Welbeck at the beginning of the year because he would miss 4 out of every 5 great chances he got. No one in their right mind would agree with the statement that Salah was better than KDB at the first quarter of the season. Hell, you lot of Reds were saying how amazing of a player Mane was....until he got injured and Salah took advantage of that (to a degree).

KDB was better at the start for sure, but Salah was no slouch. He missed four or five chances at the very start and still misses chances these days, but everyone ignores it because his conversion rate is still really high.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Except one, nobody said that it was a cakewalk and everyone pretty much agreed that KdB would be just as deserving (lol Kane). Two, your response was, and I quote, 'not really' when I said that the award winners were deserved...but sure, you never said anything of the sort.

Why does it matter if KdB was better at the beginning and Salah was better at the end anyway? They were both incredibly consistently great over the season and were the only two deserving players.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So if United win their last 3 games (away to Brighton and West Ham, hosting Watford), they'll have more points than the average league winner during the 38 game PL era. Their 86 point total would have them winning/level with the title in 10 seasons and within 5 points of a title in all but 2 seasons (Chelsea's 95 in 04-05 and 93 last year)

Yet somehow this season is talked about like a disaster.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So if United win their last 3 games (away to Brighton and West Ham, hosting Watford), they'll have more points than the average league winner during the 38 game PL era. Their 86 point total would have them winning/level with the title in 10 seasons and within 5 points of a title in all but 2 seasons (Chelsea's 95 in 04-05 and 93 last year)

Yet somehow this season is talked about like a disaster.
Well, they did go out to Sevilla and spent like a bazillion dollars.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
United actually have beaten all the other big clubs in the last couple of months..Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Liverpool and Spurs. Of course, there's also the exit to Sevilla in that time frame.

And that kinda illustrates their problem. Their style of play is so boring and unattractive that nothing but titles will allow people to view them positively. A very good 2nd place in a tough Premiership alone won't placate people.

Mourinho shouldn't get fired but only a league title and/or CL title will reconcile people with him.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I mean, second in the PL is not a bad season by any metric. Except the same kind of one that looks at, say, a PSG team 19 points clear of 2nd but not even making the CL semis as a failure. Plus, let's not forget the optics - a team that should by rights be dominating playing often chaotic or unsightly football.. even if they end up eking out the points. But no, it's certainly not the grounds for Mourinho to be fired, although from a historical perspective it may be prescient to do so before he completely loses the room and everything goes to shit

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Has it been considered yet that Liverpool aren't yet qualified for the Champions League next season? If Chelsea beat Liverpool, they have two games left after that against the 10th and 16th place teams. If they win all three of those games, Liverpool would be required to beat Brighton to finish ahead of Chelsea. A draw, and they'd finish below Chelsea.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Has it been considered yet that Liverpool aren't yet qualified for the Champions League next season? If Chelsea beat Liverpool, they have two games left after that against the 10th and 16th place teams. If they win all three of those games, Liverpool would be required to beat Brighton to finish ahead of Chelsea. A draw, and they'd finish below Chelsea.
Yes.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It actually wouldn't be the weirdest outcome. Liverpool looked pretty tired tonight. Their lack of depth could cause a rather spectacular collapse (if they miss out qualifying for the CL in the league and lose the CL Final).

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Yea, if Chelsea wins Sunday, it'll almost assuredly go into the final Sunday with Liverpool needing an equal result to Chelsea to finish top 4.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Curious because I haven't been paying too much attention to the EPL since I am an Arsenal fan....

I noticed something odd, almost two months ago I saw that the top 4 is for the CL and 5th place qualifies for Euro. However, just last week in the standings where it said top 4 for the CL, but places 5th, 6th, and 7th is for Europa. Did the EPL get more spots from UEFA?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad