Premier League 2017-2018

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Everybodyyyyyyyyyyyy was riding City last year.

Except the one poster who kept bombing the thread calling him Pep Jackson and a fraud.

Lol that was classic.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I have Cristoph Kramer captaining my Prem side in season 3 lol until Tyias Browning can take over once he's 25 and then hopefully one of the Carrick/Jagielka/Terry regens lol.

Anyways, I'm guessing they didn't make it Cesc as VC because Bakayoko can legitimately displace him in the starting 11 and Matic is technically still there (and I hope he stays at least for this season).

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I think Conte missed the point of Levy's comments
Conte said:
"Every team has to understand what their ambitions are. If their ambitions are to fight for the title or win the Champions League, you must buy expensive players. Otherwise you continue to stay in your level. It's simple."
yet:
5fnddwe5vzbz.jpg

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And yet, if they fail in Champions League, it's no big deal. If they don't win a Cup, it's no big deal.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
And yet, if they fail in Champions League, it's no big deal. If they don't win a Cup, it's no big deal.

It isn't hard to understand that spending more money raises expectations. I also think Conte is underselling their ambitions a tad. Spurs performance in the european competitions was absolutely a tragedy.

The price of that XI above is just filthy.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah that's some damned fine business by Tottenham.

That said they did pay more for some other players who haven't panned out, and their performance in Europe has been pretty underwhelming.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, he was very complimentary of them. The only one he was critical of was Levy for not spending more on upgrading the squad to get to the next level.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Yeah, he was very complimentary of them. The only one he was critical of was Levy for not spending more on upgrading the squad to get to the next level.

Window is still open though. Everything has pointed towards Pochettino wanting to assess the squad, especially their youth players, before making any moves.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I guess it is difficult to graps the concept of making money before you spend it. Can´t expect a football manager to understand high level financial theory. Fair enough.

City, Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea (with Costa and I don´t know what the deal is with Matic) had big holes they had to fill. Completely different to Spurs. All makes sense to me.

Personally I don´t think Chelsea are any stronger than last year (assuming Costa and Matic leave). I would argue they are weaker - at least until the new players settle.

Last edited:

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
I guess it is difficult to graps the concept of making money before you spend it. Can´t expect a football manager to understand high level financial theory. Fair enough.

City, Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea (with Costa and I don´t know what the deal is with Matic) had big holes they had to fill. Completely different to Spurs. All makes sense to me.

Personally I don´t think Chelsea is any stronger than last year (assuming Costa and Matic leave). I would argue they are weaker - at least until the new players settle.

Chelsea has no depth....with Champs League etc...it's gonna be tough
United is pretty strong all-around
City still has Stones as starting CB...LOLLLLL
Spurs is pretty strong...but no depht and 1 injury away
Arsenal as no frking CM ...
Pool won Asian trophy...that's the only trophy they can hope for.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Just reading this thread, hadn't heard about the NBC paywall yet. That's garbage.

Yeah it's actually worse than I initially thought.

Doesn't seem like you can cut the cord - you can only buy the package in addition to having NBCSN on cable.

I need to read more on this to figure out if I need it for United matches, or if I have to go to a bar a few times a season

StatesideSensFan

Jun 29, 2003
Atlanta
Yeah it's actually worse than I initially thought.

Doesn't seem like you can cut the cord - you can only buy the package in addition to having NBCSN on cable.

I need to read more on this to figure out if I need it for United matches, or if I have to go to a bar a few times a season

yea right, like most United games wont be on one of the NBC properties.
you should just goto the bar a couple of times a year.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I think UCL can **** up Spurs season, but this is me speaking as a Spurs hater. They lack the overall squad depth to compete in both competitions at once. Gonna lead to injuries and reliance on a shady bench. They should just go all out in the League - they've shown that they're good enough to win it.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think UCL can **** up Spurs season, but this is me speaking as a Spurs hater. They lack the overall squad depth to compete in both competitions at once. Gonna lead to injuries and reliance on a shady bench. They should just go all out in the League - they've shown that they're good enough to win it.

They could just do what they did last year and do awful in Europe.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Once again, the transfer window is still open.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't see how that is a very good analysis of what happened with Spurs last season.

The same players finished the season fantastically. So they somehow were able to recover from fatigue during the season? Don't believe that for a second.

Depth isn't that bad. It isn't as good as RM etc. of course, but that will never be the case. Pochettino for large stretches didn't on purpose rotate much. Still they finished the season almost perfectly so it is hard to criticize him much for the way he managed the squad.

I'm not sure if Spurs were mentally ready to play important games mid-week last fall. Also some key players injured during that time (Kane and Alderweireld). One might argue Spurs didn't have the depth to replace those players, but no-one except maybe BM and RM have the depth to replace their best players in a good way.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don't see how that is a very good analysis of what happened with Spurs last season.

The same players finished the season fantastically. So they somehow were able to recover from fatigue during the season? Don't believe that for a second.

Depth isn't that bad. It isn't as good as RM etc. of course, but that will never be the case. Pochettino for large stretches didn't on purpose rotate much. Still they finished the season almost perfectly so it is hard to criticize him much for the way he managed the squad.

I'm not sure if Spurs were mentally ready to play important games mid-week last fall. Also some key players injured during that time (Kane and Alderweireld). One might argue Spurs didn't have the depth to replace those players, but no-one except maybe BM and RM have the depth to replace their best players in a good way.

To be fair, fatigue is a lot different when you're out of Europe and after the winter blitz of games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad