GWT: Premier League 12/31-1/4

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Expected the streak to end today, yet I'm still disappointed. Absolutely incredible, 13 in a row. The league is far from over, but we have a solid shot.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
And they only have a 5 point lead. 3 of their next 4 games are against Leicester, Liverpool, and Arsenal. Highly unlikely they come through that gauntlet picking up all 12 points. 9 would be a success.

Yea, it's worth noting how much better the top 6 are doing versus historical numbers.

These are all after 20 games.

2015-2016 - 42, 40, 39, 36, 33, 32
2014-2015 - 46, 46, 37, 36, 34, 33
2013-2014 - 45, 44, 43, 39, 38, 37
2012-2013 - 49, 42, 38, 36, 34, 33

This year it's 49, 44, 42, 42, 41, 39

The 49 and 44 aren't crazy, but the rest are well above normal paces. Chelsea isn't just outlasting a single contender at the top, they're trying to fight off several, all of whom are very capable of going on a really good run.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well the streak had to end at some point. Unfortunate that it ended against Spurs, but they still have a healthy lead on the title and as long as they at least keep pace with the clubs chasing them they will win the title. Race is far from over, but they are still the favourites.

On another note, why is that Edo only ever seems to show up to talk about Chelsea when they lose, but vanishes off the face of the earth when they win?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Feghouli's red card was rescinded.

Four of West Ham's last five red cards have been rescinded upon review...

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Feghouli's red card was rescinded.

Four of West Ham's last five red cards have been rescinded upon review...

At least it was rescinded so they don't lose him for any games, but that was still a horrendous game changing decision.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
At least it was rescinded so they don't lose him for any games, but that was still a horrendous game changing decision.

Like Jersey Fresh said, it's not just the one call, 4 in 5.

Going back to last season, they were robbed of 6 points in the 2nd half of the season (Kouyate's red card vs Palace, last minute made up penalties vs Leicester and Chelsea) and ManU forced a Cup replay on a goal which never should've stood due to Schweini's foul on Randolph.

Who knows, 6 more points going into the last 3 games last year, maybe they play more motivated and end up in the CL. And in the CL, it's much easier to attract new players.

My point is, some of these referee decisions are not just awful, they do a ripple effect and cost clubs millions of pounds and fans suffer for no reason.

I'm not saying their job is easy (the refs - though West Ham have been getting the short end of the stick for the last season+=, but it's fairly obvious that at this point, with so many cameras around, with so much emotion and money invested, there's no reason why we shouldn't have appeals and replays for key stuff like red cards, penalties and offside goals.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
My favourite part of the game was Costa arguing with Pedro for about five minutes over a misplay

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Mike Dean is reffing the Spurs v Villa FA Cup game this weekend

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Mike Dean is reffing the Spurs v Villa FA Cup game this weekend

Spurs v Villa is just a sideshow. We all know the fans are really there to see Mike Dean and he will make sure to put on a good show.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Spurs v Villa is just a sideshow. We all know the fans are really there to see Mike Dean and he will make sure to put on a good show.

It's Mike Dean's world. We just live in it.

I've never seen a ref love a team as much and Dean loves Spurs. But I've never seen a ref hate a team as much as Webb hated Liverpool.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Well the streak had to end at some point. Unfortunate that it ended against Spurs, but they still have a healthy lead on the title and as long as they at least keep pace with the clubs chasing them they will win the title. Race is far from over, but they are still the favourites.

On another note, why is that Edo only ever seems to show up to talk about Chelsea when they lose, but vanishes off the face of the earth when they win?

It's just the way it is. I usually don't waste my time watching Chelsea. I had no choice Wednesday. :laugh:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
so watching a team that wins and has a better team is a waste of time, but watching a perennial fourth place team isn't?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
so watching a team that wins and has a better team is a waste of time, but watching a perennial fourth place team isn't?

What's a waste of time to one isn't a waste of time to another. If he doesn't derive pleasure from watching Chelsea for whatever reason, it might be a waste of time to him. But please, keep antagonizing, by all means.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's Mike Dean's world. We just live in it.

I've never seen a ref love a team as much and Dean loves Spurs. But I've never seen a ref hate a team as much as Webb hated Liverpool.

"There's only one Mike Dean, there's only one Mike Dean..."

Webb only gave one red card to a Liverpool player in his EPL career by the way. And only three penalties against Liverpool

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
"There's only one Mike Dean, there's only one Mike Dean..."

Webb only gave one red card to a Liverpool player in his EPL career by the way. And only three penalties against Liverpool

I watch a lot more Liverpool then you. I assure you those stats don't tell the full story, especially when considering Webb's background.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I watch a lot more Liverpool then you. I assure you those stats don't tell the full story, especially when considering Webb's background.

Those are stats. the teams that "benefitted" most from Webb as the ref, were City and Arsenal.

The last 20 Liverpool games he reffed, they were 5-2-13. Liverpool had 29 Yellow Cards and 1 Red Card. Liverpool opponents had 40 Yellow Cards and 0 Red Cards.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad