premature. WJC lines for Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

macleafs

Jan 1, 2004
No one has played in as many big games!!

clay said:
Over whom?
With the amount of returning players being maybe one, Comeau will be one player that has played under the spotlight of the Mem-cup (3 times) that team Canada will need. Don't be surprised if he gets a letter. He knows what it takes to be a winner.

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
Birko19 said:
I guess McGrath read this thread before the game today against Toronto because he has 2 goals and 1 assist in the game so far and it's only the first period.

Geez man are you his girlfriend or somethin. You seem to have an unnatural affection for this guy.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Crosby still young enough to make it. Only if Pittsburgh picks it up tho.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
octopi said:
Crosby still young enough to make it. Only if Pittsburgh picks it up tho.

i don't think the penguins would release crosby for the WJCs. they were willing to loan marc-andre fleury since they didn't intend to pay him $3 million in bonuses. crosby's been one of the best players on the pens (their leading scorer) and he's been a major draw to the arena.

it's not like another WJC is going to help his development, so i really think it would be a huge stretch for pittsburgh to loan crosby.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
its nice to see some ncaa kids on the roster (albeit premature)

sometimes here on hf I get the feeling that the ncaa is the ******* child of pre-nhl hockey

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
TheCoach said:
What are Cody Bass's chances?
I personally think very good. He was one of my favourite players at the summer camp; works hard, forechecks great, creates turnovers, backchecks, wins puck battles, hits, and generally plays exactly how Sutter likes. Perfect fit on a checking/grinding line that Canada always likes to have.

Transported Upstater

skk_82 said:
i don't think the penguins would release crosby for the WJCs. they were willing to loan marc-andre fleury since they didn't intend to pay him $3 million in bonuses. crosby's been one of the best players on the pens (their leading scorer) and he's been a major draw to the arena.

it's not like another WJC is going to help his development, so i really think it would be a huge stretch for pittsburgh to loan crosby.

I agree. NO WAY Crosby plays in the the U-20's this year.

Hendo2k

Feb 12, 2003
Palm Coast, FL
members.shaw.ca
Boondock Saint said:
Why??? Corey Perry came out of camp as the 13th forward last year after leading the OHL in scoring and played his way onto the top line....

He's going to have to be hot for more than 5 games to play his way onto this team.

2 points and -3 in his last two games????

i will gaurentee u right now evan McGrath will make it. he's only leading the league in points :shakehead

based on his skill and potnetial i see no reason why he wont maintain the pace either

Avery4Byng*

Fistric will have trouble cracking the roster... His foot speed will put him down the list....

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
tray said:
Fistric will have trouble cracking the roster... His foot speed will put him down the list....
I completely disagree. Fistric is a near certainty to be on the team barring injury. His footspeed is perfectly fine at this level, and won't even begin to possibly become an issue until he reaches the NHL, and even then I don't think he has particularly worse footspeed than most young defensemen - his mobility for his size is quite good. I don't think he has any offensive upside really at all, but that certainly won't hold him back from making the WJ team. I expect him to play top 4 minutes even strength, possibly on the top pairing with Barker, and play on the first PK unit.

Speaking of Giants defensemen, Cody Franson is a name that's been thrown around at least locally as a guy who could get a potential invite to camp if he keeps up his play. To this point in the season he has been absolutely outstanding for the Giants, maybe better than Fistric. I don't actually think he will get an invite, especially because Sutter likes his camps small and he wasn't at the summer camp, but he should without question be at next summer's evaluation camp, and if his development continues the way it has thus far in his career, he has a great chance of making the team next year.

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
Hendo2k said:
i will gaurentee u right now evan McGrath will make it. he's only leading the league in points :shakehead

Actually... he is 9 points behind the leader in third Link .... not that I don't think he has a chance to make the team... gotta keep it accurate though ;)

Last edited:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
skk_82 said:

Well, as far as the being a major draw part, they've presold the season tickets already, but I think you're right about the second part.

Obviously, Malkin gets to go for Russia, though. Betcha they wished he'd come over this year.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
Since basically everyone picked chucko to be on the team, I guess I'm curious about something. A) Is Travis Zajac too old to be on the WJC team? B) If not, why is he not being picked by people to be on the team? He had a better year in the NCAA last year and the year before at Salmon Arm. Thanks in advance.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Why hasnt Setoguchis name even been mentioned? I honestly think he'll make this team, I cant say hes a lock but I can put my personal guarantee on it. He plays sutter hockey and scores, what more is needed? He'll get invited to camp for sure and that'll decide his fate though. I think hes one of the best players out there though and I was at the canada camp in whistler over summer for 2 intrasquad games and I think Setoguchi is better than at least half the forwards there if not 3/4.

Ice Cream Man

$1 Oysters
Aug 22, 2002
Visit site
crosby_87 said:
Since basically everyone picked chucko to be on the team, I guess I'm curious about something. A) Is Travis Zajac too old to be on the WJC team? B) If not, why is he not being picked by people to be on the team? He had a better year in the NCAA last year and the year before at Salmon Arm. Thanks in advance.

If Zajac is eligible to play, pair him with Chucko.... those two are deadly on the ice together.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Eb0la11 said:
Why hasnt Setoguchis name even been mentioned? I honestly think he'll make this team, I cant say hes a lock but I can put my personal guarantee on it. He plays sutter hockey and scores, what more is needed? He'll get invited to camp for sure and that'll decide his fate though. I think hes one of the best players out there though and I was at the canada camp in whistler over summer for 2 intrasquad games and I think Setoguchi is better than at least half the forwards there if not 3/4.
He wasn't invited to summer camp. It's not like he's the kind of player who is having a breakout year this year - everyone knew what he could do before the summer camp and he still wasn't invited. For whatever reason Sutter and Mackasey and the rest don't appear to be interested in him, so unless he has an absolutely excellent first half, I don't think his chances are very good at all to even be invited to camp.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
crosby_87 said:
Zajac is an 85. Too old.

Towelie*

Although Vincent is the top goalie in the Q right now, I don't think he has a shot. Not because he isn't good enough, right now its quite obvious that he is. More because I don't think he was even invited to the earlier camp.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
Bourdon will be, without a doubt, the #1 d-man on team canada, anyone putting him on the 2nd pairing needs to read up about his camp with the canucks, the guy is Phanuefesque.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Don't be suprised if Toews will make it...

Greg7 said:
Toews will have a difficult time making it as a 17 year old. Few 16 and 17 year olds make the team, but if he has a very good season in college this year he certainly can give himself a chance. I'd be very surprised though.

as Toews is the sort of player that can elevate his game. His skills are absoulutely superb. His skating is very strong and his balance and strength on the puck are well above his age level. He has excellent size. He can score, dish, and throw bodychecks fearlessly on opponents. He is a strong player in his defensive and off puck assignments. He will role play - he has leadership properties. He is gritty, not shying away from the rough going.

He is a lot like Mike Richards as a player: all of the above with fabulous hockey sense. He has the ability and ethic to rise too and above the level of competition.

On another note, pencil Plante from Brandon in as a strong goalie possibility. ;)

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Jakethesnake said:
Geez man are you his girlfriend or somethin. You seem to have an unnatural affection for this guy.

Right :shakehead

Anyways, what's fair is fair, and if the beggening of the season means anything then McGrath has been one of the best players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad