Preliminary Media/Scout Top 10 OHL'ers for the 2020 NHL Draft

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
OHL Prospects: Preliminary Media/Scout Top 10 for the 2020 NHL Draft

It's time for the first media/scout poll for the 2020 NHL Draft.

After last year's poor crop, the OHL bounces back strong in 2020; much more in line with what is expected from such a top notch development league. We have a candidate for first overall in Quinton Byfield, who swept all first places votes in the poll. We have three other players who are candidates to be taken inside the Top 10 (Drysdale, Perfetti, and Rossi). And we have a handful of other players who look like potential first round picks. This group has star talent but also great depth.

For those unfamiliar with how this works, I poll many of the OHL's brightest minds; those who cover the league incredibly well and know the OHL inside, and out. These contributors supply me with their top 10 available players from the OHL, in addition to some comments. I then put it all together and provide you with a cumulative list. Call it "the consensus."

As always, this list involves contributions from a rather colourful cast of characters. Contributing their rankings and thoughts to this preliminary list for 2020 were:

Corey Pronman - NHL Prospects Writer for TheAthletic (@coreypronman)
Dominic Tiano - Writer for The OHL Writers (@dominictiano)
Dylan Galloway - OHL Scout for Future Considerations (@dylangalloway_)
Mike Morreale - Staff writer for NHL.com (@mikemorrealeNHL)
Ryan Kennedy - Associate Senior Writer for The Hockey News(@THNRyanKennedy)
Scott Wheeler - NHL Prospects Writer for TheAthletic (@scottcwheeler)
Mark Scheig - OHL writer for The Hockey Writers (@THWMark)
Cam Robinson - Managing Editor for Dobber Prospects (@Hockey_Robinson)
Steve Kournianos - Founder of The Draft Analyst(@TheDraftAnalyst)
Steve Clark - Play by play voice of the Niagara IceDogs (@ClarkPlaybyPlay)
Dan Stewart - Director of Drafts Prospects Hockey (@DStewartDP)
Will Scouch – Founder of Scouching Draft Analytics (@Scouching)
Victor Findlay – Writer for Around the OHL and Mississauga Steelheads broadcaster (@Finder_24)
Tony Ferrari – OHL Scout for Future Considerations and NHL Draft Writer for Dobber Prospects (@theTonyFerrari)
Steven Ellis – Digital Content Producer for The Hockey News (@StevenEllisTHN)
Mark Seidel - Scouting Director for NACS Hockey (@MarkSeidel)

and of course...myself (@BrockOtten)

Here's the List:

1. Quinton Byfield – Forward – Sudbury Wolves
Total Votes: 17
Highest Ranking: 1st (17x)
Lowest Ranking: -
Comments:
“He's a powerful skater, has breakaway speed and is an excellent puck- possession player. He's got great vision and playmaking ability, and a real heavy shot. He has scored goals where his shot has overpowered goalies. He plays the right way and works hard. At this point in the season, and in my opinion, the best player in the OHL.” - Mike Morreale

“Byfield has a great frame, but what excites me the most is the fact he still has room to get bigger and stronger. Considering how dominant he can be already, that's impressive. On top of the build, we're talking about a player with excellent offensive skills and mobility. As the top center in the entire draft class, Byfield has the chance to help turn around an NHL franchise.” - Ryan Kennedy

“This one is a no-brainer. The combination of size, skill, creativity, scoring ability, and puck protection are extremely rare to find. I came into the season wondering if he’d be a more physically dominant junior player, or dominate with a more powerful skill game. The latter seems to be the case from my viewings, and the data on him is promising. Considering his age, Over 40+INV% and an NHLeS of over 40 is remarkable. The only knock I’d note is a bit of a lack of consistency as games wear on, and being a net negative defensive player on paper, but his offence more than outweighs whatever cons there may be. To me, it isn’t an outlandish discussion as of today that Byfield may be the first name called in June.” - Will Scouch

“A combination of size, speed, and skill that is so rare it makes his ceiling almost scary. Taken steps forward throughout his game early this year. I love the way he sees the ice and can manipulate his body and puck to create and find lanes for himself and his mates. A kingmaker for whichever team lands him.” - Cam Robinson

“The more I watch him play, the more I see shades of Eric Lindros with Oshawa in the early 1990s. Of course, Byfield isn’t as physical from a seek-and-destroy standpoint, but the way he uses his size, reach and lower body to protect the puck and drive into the heart of prime scoring areas is very reminiscent of No. 88. I still think he isn’t done growing, so you’re looking at a 6’5, 220-pound playmaking center with soft hands who can win draws and kill penalties. His skating has improved a lot since last year as well.” - Steve Kournianos

“A couple things really stand out for me when it comes to Byfield. The first is how he drives time of possession for his team. He controls the zone entry, but does not relinquish the puck. His poise, strength, and skill on the puck, in combination with his agility, allows him to maintain control below the goal line for near entire shifts. And with his vision, he's consistently able to find those passing lanes when they eventually open up because teams send a second defender to him to try to separate him from the puck. The second thing is how much his defensive game has improved under Cory Stillman in Sudbury. He has truly become a force in all three zones. The scary thing? That there's still room for improvement as he gets even stronger. Byfield is a player who will be worth the price of admission in the NHL.” - Brock Otten

2. Jamie Drysdale
3. Cole Perfetti
4. Marco Rossi
5. Jacob Perreault
6. Antonio Stranges
7. Jean Luc Foudy
8. Jaromir Pytlik
9. Ryan O'Rourke
10. Will Cuylle

HM's: Jack Quinn, Tyson Foerster, Ty Tullio, Jack Thompson, Oliver Suni, Nico Daws

Check the link to see all the write ups and comments. As always, happy to answer any questions.

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
Thanks Brock. Any thoughts on Niagara’s Tucker Tynan? As a 17 yo goaltender, the kid has been very strong behind a rebuilding team in Niagara. He’s faced the most shots in the league and still has the 5th best SV%.

Reactions: three dog night

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Excellent list as per usual. I think that any team taking Stranges, Foudy, or Pytlik over O'Rourke would be making a mistake. He projects as an impact player on both sides of the puck, while the others, particularly Stranges, have serious questions about whether they can play defense.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Thanks Brock. Any thoughts on Niagara’s Tucker Tynan? As a 17 yo goaltender, the kid has been very strong behind a rebuilding team in Niagara. He’s faced the most shots in the league and still has the 5th best SV%.

I've been very impressed by him and know others have been as well.

Just needs to keep it up and show that he's durable enough to withstand the workload. Always takes a bit longer for goalies like Tynan to get attention, as scouts look for it being more than just a hot start (as in, OHL teams make adjustments in the second half).

I think he's definitely trending to being a draft pick at this point though. Certainly has the athleticism. Where that is (3rd round? 7th round?), remains to be seen.

Reactions: icepups

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->