Preliminary Media/Scout Poll for 2019 NHL Draft (OHL)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
It's time for the first media/scout poll for the 2019 NHL Draft.

Much has been made of the talent available (or lack there of) from the OHL this year. Many scouts are calling it the worst group from the league that they have seen. One scout when asked to contribute said, "I'm not sure there are 10 guys from the OHL that I would draft." And while he was obviously joking, the point remains that this is not a strong crop. That is perfectly visible in this poll too. Only Ryan Suzuki, Arthur Kaliyev, and Thomas Harley received votes from every contributor. That's pretty remarkable. Scouts are still so divided on who the top 5 from the league are, let alone the top 10. As of right now, only Suzuki and Kaliyev look like sure bets to be first round picks. And even then, Suzuki is not a sure bet to be a lottery selection and Kaliyev still has his detractors (for instance, HockeyProspect just left him outside their top 31 for November). It will be interesting to see how this all plays out before June.

For those unfamiliar with how this works, I poll many of the OHL's brightest minds; those who cover the league incredibly well and know the OHL inside, and out. These contributors supply me with their top 10 available players from the OHL, in addition to some comments. I then put it all together and provide you with a cumulative list. Call it "the consensus."

OHL Prospects: Preliminary Media/Scout Top 10 for the 2019 NHL Draft

Here's the Top 10:

1. Ryan Suzuki - Forward - Barrie Colts
Total Votes: 17
Highest Ranking: 1st (14x)
Lowest Ranking: 2nd (3x)
Comments:
"A player with a high end skill level and deft passing abilities. Uses a one touch pass for give-and-go type plays to create quick puck movement. Great vision. An underrated scorer who finds open pockets in the offensive zone. Not a speedster but uses his edges well. Can play the point or half-wall on the PP and can kill penalties. Should be the first OHL player off the board." - Levi Hill

"A tremendous playmaker, and the former first overall pick in the OHL Draft, Suzuki can saucer cross-ice backhanders better than most on their forehand. After a strong first year with Barrie in 2017-18, he’s making a significant impact this year as the main weapon on the Colts. He owns more speed than brother, Nick, but trails him in the goal-scoring department. Suzuki has electric stuff and can bring you out of your seat. However, he's still prone to the odd poor decision and could stand to improve his defensive positioning to help round out his game. He's right on the cusp of being a top-10 talent in this crop." - Cam Robinson

"Incredibly smart player who really drives the offence through creative passing plays. He's always thinking ahead of the play, working his positioning to create space for himself and teammates and utilizes that elite hockey IQ to make it all look effortless. Suzuki isn't going to wow anyone with his flashiness, but that doesn't mean he can't be dynamic when the time calls for it." - Dylan Galloway

"His smarts and playmaking ability make him the most dangerous prospect in the OHL pool this season and there is still a ton of upside left to unlock, though it's good to see him shooting and scoring more." - Ryan Kennedy

"Love this kid. An intelligent playmaking center who plays with his head up. Has quick hands, quick feet, sublime vision, creativity and a soft touch. Better skater than his older brother Ryan and makes strong decisions with and without the puck. Great production this season, I like him inside my top ten for the 2019 NHL Draft." - Dan Stewart

"Suzuki has been the straw that stirs the drink for Barrie, which is something I always look for in a top draft prospect. He’s quick, has exceptional vision and is a shark in the neutral zone. I wish he shot the puck more because he owns a wrister with pinpoint accuracy and rarely flubs his one-time attempts." - Steve Kournianos
"Top of the OHL class for good reason. His plus vision & creativity combined with his elusiveness & mobility make him a nightmare for defenders. Hockey IQ is on full display on a nightly basis with his sound positioning, defensive awareness and ability to create open ice. Quick soft hands and elite passing skills have me envisioning a high end playmaker at the next level." - Jason Maslakow

2. Arthur Kaliyev
3. Thomas Harley
4. Billy Constantinou
5. Connor McMichael
6. Nick Robertson
7. Matvey Guskov
8. Vladislav Kolyachonok
9. Blake Murray
10. Philip Tomasino

Check the link for all the comments and all the HM's (there were a lot of them).

Happy to answer any questions.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Will a guy like Andrew Perrott get drafted despite the lack of playing time at the moment

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
I must say you are still giving Vukojevic more love than anyone else.

I think it's all relative to be honest. I only see Suzuki and Kaliyev as first round prospects at this point. So in having Vukojevic just barely in a Top 10, it puts him in that 3rd round range for me, which I still think he has a very good shot of being selected in.

Reactions: rangersblues

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Will a guy like Andrew Perrott get drafted despite the lack of playing time at the moment

You know how big of a fan I am of his, based on where I had him in some lists entering the season and at the end of last year. But with his lack of playing time this year, there just hasn't been enough development. Maybe he ends up as a trade piece at the deadline to bring in another veteran player and can save his draft stock then? If not, I don't think his chances are great. Likely a late round candidate at this point. Still a fan of him long term, at least as an OHL player.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
You know how big of a fan I am of his, based on where I had him in some lists entering the season and at the end of last year. But with his lack of playing time this year, there just hasn't been enough development. Maybe he ends up as a trade piece at the deadline to bring in another veteran player and can save his draft stock then? If not, I don't think his chances are great. Likely a late round candidate at this point. Still a fan of him long term, at least as an OHL player.
Thank you for responding. What about if he gets to be on the third pair?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad