Preferred skate blade hollow?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Interesting. I thought goalies didn't like such sharp skates
Yeah, 3/8 is super sharp for a goalie. And remember that goalie skate blades are wider, so the same ROH on a goalie blade results in bigger edges/more bite than it would on a player blade:

hollowcomparison.png

With the same radius the thicker blade (the goalie blade) will have a deeper hollow and more bite. 3/8 is very sharp/unconventional for a goalie.

Thresh

Dec 30, 2010
What does FBV 100/50 mean? I've heard a few people here mention it, but it's not a typical inch measurement like the others, so where does it lie on the scale of bite/speed?

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010
I'm a beginner, what hollow should I sharpen too?

The guy at my rink says he'll just sharpen it to a "medium", whatever that is, but I'm pretty sure that if I tell him what radius, he'll know what I mean.

I'm 5'9" 175lbs, and I find that my current radius makes my skate "chatter" a bit when stopping. Any advice?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'm a beginner, what hollow should I sharpen too?

The guy at my rink says he'll just sharpen it to a "medium", whatever that is, but I'm pretty sure that if I tell him what radius, he'll know what I mean.

I'm 5'9" 175lbs, and I find that my current radius makes my skate "chatter" a bit when stopping. Any advice?
Chances are he's giving you a 1/2" radius right now, if you want to be able to scrape the ice more easily/smoothly you could try something with less bite, like a 5/8" or even 3/4" radius. But mostly it's just poor technique that has your skates chattering, a good skater can stop smoothly regardless of the radius.

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010
Chances are he's giving you a 1/2" radius right now, if you want to be able to scrape the ice more easily/smoothly you could try something with less bite, like a 5/8" or even 3/4" radius. But mostly it's just poor technique that has your skates chattering, a good skater can stop smoothly regardless of the radius.

Thanks,

It most like is because I suck at skating :P.

I just thought it would help by getting something with less bite, no?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
At 5'9 175, 1/2"-5/8" would be about average. I was an 11/16" (between 5/8" and 3/4") at 5'8 175 before switching to FBV 100/50.

FBV 100/50 is a pretty standard cut, similar amount of bite on the edges as 1/2" but with the glide of 1-2" hollow.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Thanks,

It most like is because I suck at skating :P.

I just thought it would help by getting something with less bite, no?
Yeah, it won't be a massive difference, but with less bite it'll be easier for you to get the feel of a nice, even, smooth stop, once you get those down you should be able to stop well regardless of the hollow. Stopping is weird, it's hard for people to describe exactly how to do it, it's so much just getting a feel for your edges and really learning how to apply pressure properly, once you get that down it'll feel so natural that you'll wonder how you ever had problems with it :)

On a side note, shallower hollows/less bite tends to be a bit less forgiving for beginners in general (outside of stopping). Strong skaters are always very balanced over their edges, and can hold an edge well with even very shallow hollows, but for newer skaters a deeper hollow can help you hold your edge despite imperfect technique/balance. You should generally go with the shallowest hollow that still gives you good edging ability (in general higher weight and better technique lets you go shallower), as a shallower hollow means more speed.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Found this article on the sharper goalie skates.

http://www.hockey-skate-reviews.com/2011/01/goalie-skate-sharpening-techniques.html

“My hollow is 5/16,†Thomas wrote in an email to InGoal shortly after the game in Toronto on Saturday night. “That’s pretty deep but a lot of NHL goalies are using deeper hollows nowadays. We need it for the big pushes cross crease."
Very interesting, times are definitely changing, when I was playing more competitive hockey (in high school, just 7 years or so ago) even a 1/2" hollow was considered real sharp for a goalie, and 3/4" or so was more standard. I'm guessing you're right that it has to do with the change in style, as a more standup goalie you'd want less bite so you could slide laterally while still on your skates, but if you're instead down on your pads for the slides then a real deep hollow could help give stronger push offs.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
Been experimenting lately again, think I originally had 7/16, but then I went to 1/2 now I'm on 3/8 which I think is what I used forever before falling out of the game for a while.

macgyverthatshiz

Apr 3, 2010
North Carolina
Also, as a general rule of thumb, if you're lighter you're putting less pressure on the ice, so you tend to need a smaller hollow (more bite), while if you're heavier a small hollow results in excess bite and too much friction, so a shallower hollow tends to work better for heavier skaters. But then there's just personal preference too, Paul Coffey for example was not particularly big but used ridiculously shallow hollows, up to 2", which is basically unheard of.

Great points, but also take into consideration where you are playing. The hollow for a 200+ pound guy playing in Tampa or San Diego will be different than a 200+ pound guy playing in Montreal or North Dakota. The hotter the ambient temperature and high humidity, the softer the ice, and vice-versa

IslesZoso

Apr 30, 2010
Great Neck, LI
Not to derail here, but do certain radii require more frequent sharpenings to maintain? For example, does a guy who 5/8 need to hit the skate shop more often than the guy who uses the 11/16?

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Not to derail here, but do certain radii require more frequent sharpenings to maintain? For example, does a guy who 5/8 need to hit the skate shop more often than the guy who uses the 11/16?

it's actually the reverse. the deeper the hollow, the faster the edges wear down.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
A guy with 3/8 will need more sharpenings (in general) than a guy with a 5/8.

3/8 - Smaller radius, deeper groove, more acute edge angle, easier to dull, more sharpening.

5/8 - Larger radius, shallow groove, less acute edge angle, slower to dull, less sharpening.

But even still how often you sharpen is also personal taste.

bOILing point

Dec 10, 2008
What does FBV 100/50 mean? I've heard a few people here mention it, but it's not a typical inch measurement like the others, so where does it lie on the scale of bite/speed?

fbv 100/50 is the flat bottom V. (i think) its a new way to sharpen skates. instead of a radius it has A v cut with a flat bottom in the centre of the groove to increase glide! it is supposed to give you the best of everything Glide/cut wise. I do find it is a lot more important to keep the grind centred so if its someone less than an experienced skate guy id stay away. When done properly it is Good!

bender1077

Sep 23, 2010
Chicago
I'm 5'11'' and float between 165-170 lbs depending on how much I skate during a week! I love the 1/2" hallow. I think this is the perfect balance between bite and glide for my height and weight. I tried 5/8 for about a month; loved the speed, but could not get the sharp turns like with the 1/2. About 1 out of 3 times I'd lower a shoulder and really drive in for a sharp turn and lose my edge with 5/8.

forbs02

Blergh
Jun 17, 2008
I'm 5'4" 140lbs and I skate on 5/8". I love it and won't be going back to 1/2".

Interesting note on the goalie skate hollow discussion. I recently sharpened a pair of skates for a nationl level (women's) goalie. She wanted 1/8". Absolutely ridiculous. I couldn't get a good dress on the stone and as soon as I touched her skate to the wheel it burned the hollow. I said F it and sharpened them at a 1/4" which was still too much, but at least it was manageable for me.

She tried them out and said they weren't sharp enough. She is maybe 165 lbs, if that. I know that goalies these days are into deep hollows, but when it takes 25 minutes to sharpen one player's skates, something needs to change. I'm not new to sharpening either, I've been doing it for about 12 years at high volume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad