Speculation: Preferred 2nd round opponent?

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
Remember that game vividly. Ugh.

Cullen, Neil and Alfie get us a three goal lead. Cooke gets one back, then we get a goal that is disallowed because the net came off the moorings. Then in the third period, Guerin on the powerplay, then Cooke again to tie it up. In overtime, I believe it was Dupuis who scored.

Your memory is ****ing ridiculous man. I remember slamming my fist on the table do hard that I almost bled. That's all ;)

Exique*

I would love to play NYR, but it will most likely be Pens(not the End of the World). Still doable, PeskySens.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
Let's face it, Penguins are scary. That being said I want to play them the most and here is why.

#1: If we do end up losing the series, it is a good growing experience for the team and there will be zero blame for losing to the powerhouse Pens. It will be like last year when we took NYR to 7 but lost, everyone was a little disappointed but yet happy with the results of the year.

#2: If we win, we will have taken out the stiffest competition in the East and will be prepared to take a run to the cup. The team already has all the confidence in the world, imagine if they can rally to beat the Pens.

#3: We have the right counter for the Pens in our team system with Anderson backstopping. The Pens do have the most talented group of forwards in the league, but at the same token the Islanders have shown how they can be exposed on the backend. While all their star players are looking to make offensive plays, ours will be playing 200ft.

#4: Pens goaltending. Fleury has been terribad but Volkun did come in to post a shutout in game 5. Volkun is a pretty good backup having had a solid career as an NHL starter, as well as some previous playoff experience, but he is past his prime. If we can shake his confidence he could crumble under the pressure having not played many games, although he is a veteran so I feel his mental fortitude should be stellar compared to a career backup.

#5: I want to beat Crosby :nod:

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Sure the Pens are frightening but, they aren't un-beatable. Besides, if Ottawa is going to be a regular in the playoffs for years to come, they'll have to face off against them sooner or later.

edit: whoever we face, I hope the series is on TSN (with Cuthbert doin the play by play). I am so sick of the CBC panel ******** on our team at every given opportunity.

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
I think my order of preference out of the possibilities would be:

1) Caps
2) Rangers
3) Pittsburgh
4) Toronto
5) Boston

Caps and Toronto are the weakest 2 teams overall but Toronto always seems to have our number. Pittsburgh feels less complete of a team than Boston, mostly because their D isn't as tight and they might actually go back to Fleury to spot us a few games...

That said, there are no easy series.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I think my order of preference out of the possibilities would be:

1) Caps
2) Rangers
3) Pittsburgh
4) Toronto
5) Boston

Caps and Toronto are the weakest 2 teams overall but Toronto always seems to have our number. Pittsburgh feels less complete of a team than Boston, mostly because their D isn't as tight and they might actually go back to Fleury to spot us a few games...

That said, there are no easy series.

yeah i don't think this year is the time to face toronto (although that is going to become impossible after tomorrow). Next year though, it would be a better battle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad