Preds to rename Gaylord Entertainment Center "Nashville Arena"

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
As mentioned. Gaylord had the naming rights as soon as the arena was announced...before the NHL was a definite...at the time, Gaylord's focus was in Mid Tennessee with the Opryland Hotel, Gen Jackson Showboat, the Grand Ole Opry, and Opry Mills Mall...since that time, they've pulled out a lot of those stakes to focus on opening new luxury hotels(one in Dallas, that I know of) as well as a convention center somewhere in Texas. I think they viewed it as money that could be spent elsewhere. This was after they had welshed on payments for some time, something the Preds eventually sued them over.

Ah, thank you.

I feel especially bad for the fans because they have such loyal passionate fans.

I was skeptical at first, thinking what the hell is the NHL doing giving Nashville a team, but boy, what a bunch of fans. I hope things start going right for them, very soon.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Apparently you didn't read the part that said that Gaylord was still paying the Preds $9m.

Sure I did. Gaylord Entertainment hasn't had naming rights since the lockout, and the Predators are earning $0 on current naming rights. Why do you think it's called Nashville Arena now ?

But since you brought up a good issue, I have some further information regarding the subject (for those who think I don't care about facts :) ) :

Gaylord paid $ 4 million upon the termination of the naming rights agreement in february, 2005. They also paid $ 1 million in October, 2006. $ 1 million is remaining each year until October, 2010.

But guess what ? That money isn't guaranteed. If the Predators move, any outstanding money owed is voided.

Further, if the Preds were to move this summer, they'd have to pay Gaylord back $ 2 million.

Here are some snippets of info the Apologists would like to ignore:

i) The Predators had six cash calls between December, 2001 and February, 2004 - forcing infusions of money to cover losses.
ii) Gaylord owned 19.9 % of the Predators - a significant stake.
iii) Gaylord paid the following in naming rights:
1999-00 $ 2,050,000
2000-01 $ 2,152,500
2001-02 $ 2,260,125
2002-03 $ 2,373,131
2003-04 $ 2,491,787
iv) Gaylord agreed to pay a penalty (which was almost the equivalent to what their naming rights cost the previous five seasons) to immediately end their naming rights and relinquish their significant shares in the team so that they wouldn't be on the hook for any more losses.

The bad market apologists would like fans to believe that Gaylord Entertainment is simply reinvesting their advertising dollars elsewhere. The fact is, Gaylord gave away their 20% interest in the team in february, 2005 for free (sorry, 19.9% for the fact checkers) so that they wouldn't be on the hook for the current & future losses (after six cash calls in 2 1/2 years, who could blame them), and made a great deal to cut their losses for their naming rights' mistake when the team moves.

source : Securities Exchange Commission filings

Last edited:

Raoul Duke*

What stigma would that be?

Just the arena name of Gaylord. It sticks in minds.
Kind of like in Edmonton - I still here people call Rexall Place "Northlands Coliseum" which is asn't been since the early 90s and underwent 2 name changes since.

The first arena name always tends to stick. The Cow Palace in San Jose... Maple Leaf Gardens, Montreal Forum, The Philly Spectrum, ...

Nobody remembers the names that come later after companies pin their ads on it... and it changes every 3 years.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Awww! Don't correct him! IF you let him go on his own, he would be claiming Nashville gave away 21,000 tickets to every game by training camp. ;)

If you question my figures then let me know what you disagree with ? At least I post my opinions and put my views out there, unlike yourself, who sits on the outside taking potshots.

Yeah, I should have put Phoenix in that post rather than Nashville. My bad for posting while rushed.

Oh, is it "Your bad" ? Is that what we do now when we make a colossal blunder ?

Better luck next time !!!

:teach: :yo:

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Get your facts straight...2500 free tickets last year and significantly less this year.

if you are speaking about the coyotes, it was almost 3600 last year, and 1200 this year - according to the figures they've released.

if you are speaking about the predators, it's 1500 this year, according to the owner.

could you clarify what team you are talking about ?

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
As mentioned. Gaylord had the naming rights as soon as the arena was announced...before the NHL was a definite...at the time, Gaylord's focus was in Mid Tennessee with the Opryland Hotel, Gen Jackson Showboat, the Grand Ole Opry, and Opry Mills Mall...since that time, they've pulled out a lot of those stakes to focus on opening new luxury hotels(one in Dallas, that I know of) as well as a convention center somewhere in Texas. I think they viewed it as money that could be spent elsewhere. This was after they had welshed on payments for some time, something the Preds eventually sued them over.

I'm interested to know which payments Gaylord "welshed on for some time" ? . Since we know the Preds were owned 20% by Gaylord. (Not to mention "Welshed" is considered a racist term by people of Welsh descent).

Looking at Gaylord's financials, they made all their required payments.

Do you have information that they defaulted on any of their payments to a team they owned 20% of ?

Last edited:

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
Just the arena name of Gaylord. It sticks in minds.
Kind of like in Edmonton - I still here people call Rexall Place "Northlands Coliseum" which is asn't been since the early 90s and underwent 2 name changes since.

The first arena name always tends to stick. The Cow Palace in San Jose... Maple Leaf Gardens, Montreal Forum, The Philly Spectrum, ...

Nobody remembers the names that come later after companies pin their ads on it... and it changes every 3 years.

The Cow Palace is in San Francisco. Well, actually Daly City and San Francisco. The Sharks only played there for the first two seasons while the arena in downtown San Jose was being completed (think the Titans playing at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis). So, I'm not sure why you think Cow Palace is the name that stuck. That place was forgotten quickly after they moved into their proper home. In fact, very few people even remember that they played at the Cow Palace at all.

The original name for the arena in San Jose was... San Jose Arena, creatively enough. It got the nickname "the Shark Tank" pretty early on, and THAT has stuck with it through all the name changes (Compaq Center at San Jose, HP Pavilion at San Jose), but it's purely a nickname.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
"The soon to be in Kansas Entertainment Center"

:help:

Didn't think naming an arena could be so much trouble

Fighter of Foo

Sep 16, 2003
Morristown, NJ
Visit site
The Cow Palace is in San Francisco. Well, actually Daly City and San Francisco. The Sharks only played there for the first two seasons while the arena in downtown San Jose was being completed (think the Titans playing at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis). So, I'm not sure why you think Cow Palace is the name that stuck. That place was forgotten quickly after they moved into their proper home. In fact, very few people even remember that they played at the Cow Palace at all.

The original name for the arena in San Jose was... San Jose Arena, creatively enough. It got the nickname "the Shark Tank" pretty early on, and THAT has stuck with it through all the name changes (Compaq Center at San Jose, HP Pavilion at San Jose), but it's purely a nickname.

on a side note, that's probably my favorite corporate name for an arena in the country. It's not an "arena", "gardens", "forum", or "center", and it ties in an existing product line for the company that sponsors them. The synergy between everything makes it much for effective than something like the "St. Pete Times Forum" or "TD Banknorth Garden"

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Now don't be dis-ing the Palace of Fine Cows. Nobody who ever watched a game in the Bovine Bunker will forget it - especially not those late Feb games right after the two week road trip for the Grand National Rodeo.

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
Now don't be dis-ing the Palace of Fine Cows. Nobody who ever watched a game in the Bovine Bunker will forget it - especially not those late Feb games right after the two week road trip for the Grand National Rodeo.
Hell, the last game I went to was a few weeks ago aginst Chicago and the place smelled of a barn. I guess the rodeo tradition continues. God damn south county hicks...

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
So, that wasn't the Sharks stinking up the joint?

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
"The soon to be in Kansas Entertainment Center"

:help:

Didn't think naming an arena could be so much trouble

Woah, theyre moving an entire arena to Kansas? Where in Kansas?

I know there was some unfounded rumormongering that the Preds might move to Kansas City, but that's in Missouri.

Kansas? Wichita? Topeka?

You got a link for this new rumor?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'm interested to know which payments Gaylord "welshed on for some time" ? . Since we know the Preds were owned 20% by Gaylord. (Not to mention "Welshed" is considered a racist term by people of Welsh descent).

Looking at Gaylord's financials, they made all their required payments.

Do you have information that they defaulted on any of their payments to a team they owned 20% of ?
http://www.tennessean.com/business/archives/04/03/48401176.shtml?Element_ID=48401176

The Predators sued Gaylord in May when the company stopped making naming-rights payments

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad