Waived: Preds release Jonathan Ismael-Diaby

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

Very interesting. I know he didn't develop and is basically a throwaway at this point, but this is a stark move that typically indicates that something went down.

If I had to guess I'd think we just want to clear a contract spot sooner rather than later. Don't we have some prospects that we have to sign before June 1? And the RFAs and UFAs that we don't plan to qualify or resign aren't released until July 1, right?

A shame he never panned out.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
obvy not a preds fan, but the thread appeared on the side. looked him up - what happened to his face since his draft year? he got real gaunt looking. health issue?

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
If I had to guess I'd think we just want to clear a contract spot sooner rather than later. Don't we have some prospects that we have to sign before June 1? And the RFAs and UFAs that we don't plan to qualify or resign aren't released until July 1, right?

That, and I don't think there's really even room for him on the Ads roster now with all the new guys like Girard, Carrier, Dougherty etc coming in. Playing in the ECHL may not be the best for his development either. One of those situations where it's better to just let him go and wish him the best of luck.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
obvy not a preds fan, but the thread appeared on the side. looked him up - what happened to his face since his draft year? he got real gaunt looking. health issue?
There's definitely a....change in his face since he's gotten older. It's kinda weird. Maybe it's just how he's aging though, hopefully no real health issue. Doubt he'd be able to play if there were one.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005

Yes but even if these players are signed/re-signed before June 1st or July 1st, their contracts will only impact the 50-contract list in 2017-2018.

Had Diaby been an impeding RFA, I believe the Preds would have just let him become a UFA on July 1st.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Man...I was actually excited after we drafted him. Big body. I was hoping he became a really good bottom pairing D.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Diaby didn't really drop off. He just had unrealistic hype behind him. He had size, and that's just about it.

He has a body like Tarzan but played like Jane.

Somebody described him as a deer on skates. I agree.

He couldn't play at the AHL level. He can't stay at the ECHL level.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Watched him over the past 2 years. He's definitely not an NHL prospect, so there's no point in keeping him around. If someone picks him up on waivers, then a roster spot gets opened.

However, he has a year remaining on his deal. His first two years were "entry level slides". I'm no CBA guru, but I think that the Preds are still responsible for the last year of his deal if no one claims him. If I'm not mistaken, he's due his NHL salary if he gets released, so that's not going to happen. I'll guess he's with some Nashville affiliate next season or the Preds will arrange for him to play for some European team or "loan" him to another AHL or ECHL team.

https://capfriendly.com/players/jonathan-ismael-diaby

He could fight and he had a decent shot. But he's an average skater at the ECHL level and that precludes him from probably even having a career in the AHL. As someone pointed out, he had an athletic pedigree as his dad was a soccer player for the Central African Republic's olympic team. Given his size and the (former) hope that he could have become a better skater, he was probably worth a flier on a 64th overall pick.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Watched him over the past 2 years. He's definitely not an NHL prospect, so there's no point in keeping him around. If someone picks him up on waivers, then a roster spot gets opened.

However, he has a year remaining on his deal. His first two years were "entry level slides". I'm no CBA guru, but I think that the Preds are still responsible for the last year of his deal if no one claims him. If I'm not mistaken, he's due his NHL salary if he gets released, so that's not going to happen. I'll guess he's with some Nashville affiliate next season or the Preds will arrange for him to play for some European team or "loan" him to another AHL or ECHL team.

https://capfriendly.com/players/jonathan-ismael-diaby

He could fight and he had a decent shot. But he's an average skater at the ECHL level and that precludes him from probably even having a career in the AHL. As someone pointed out, he had an athletic pedigree as his dad was a soccer player for the Central African Republic's olympic team. Given his size and the (former) hope that he could have become a better skater, he was probably worth a flier on a 64th overall pick.

No they will not. That's what unconditional waivers is for they will terminate his contract (or have already). Otherwise he would just have been waived.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
No they will not. That's what unconditional waivers is for they will terminate his contract (or have already). Otherwise he would just have been waived.

I was, I guess, under a false impression that ELCs couldn't be terminated. Perhaps the slides impact this specific case.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Someone mentioned somewhere, might have been Ads Roundtable, that he's focusing on his music career for now.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Someone mentioned somewhere, might have been Ads Roundtable, that he's focusing on his music career for now.

I reread the story about Diaby parting ways and the 10 comments. It did not come from there. Either it was an earlier story or another source.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad