Recalled/Assigned: Preds recall Filip Forsberg

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
could he not be sent to Milwaukee initially?

They'd have to recall him from the loan and send him down. I'm not sure if the timing worked out so they could have sent him down same day, if it was a deliberate choice to get a practice with the big squad and see if anything changed since the loan to Sweden, of if it was Poile's way to just upset message boards. I'm not going to ask Poile about it either.

The reality is that Forsberg needs to adapt his game to playing on smaller ice against men rather than international ice against other kids. The talent shows but it isn't translating yet to the NHL game. 17 career games .... 182:29 of ES TOI ... one total ES point, an assist ... not even Clune like numbers. That coupled with his horrendous GA/60 at ES indicates some time working on his game with the Ads could do him a lot of good.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
I want to see FF as much as the next guy but i don't see any harm done.

My hope is he plays well in Milwaukee and then when the team hopefully gets blown up at the trade deadline we see him and a few other guys come up into the mix to see what they can do. Kind of like last year.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Hey good job being the MVP of the world juniors, now go sit at the kiddie table again. You don't think this is detrimental to his confidence?

I am sorry. This is the last straw for me. I can't condone cheering for this team with Poile and Trotz leading the group anymore. I will be cheering for individual success (Hornqvist, Fisher, others) but I don't want this team to win. All good things must come an end,and Poile and trotz have reached that point. The name on the front is more important than the one on the back, but if the guys in charge of the name on the front are completely senile, you gotta realize that the only way to fix things is to lose.

This is a stupid opinion and a stupid way to root for a team. I wish you the best in being a hawk or pens fan....

Compare it to another sport...Football. He would be in the middle of his sophomore year playing in the NFL, as a 4 star recruit maybe? Gets to go and play in a high school all star game, almost a year older than everybody...of course he should look good.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
so, maybe they did this to give the kid one NHL game check? (he gets paid at the NHL level even if he's scratched, right?)

not sure how much money that is, but maybe its the only legal way they can give him a little bonus for doing well at the WJC.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
so, maybe they did this to give the kid one NHL game check? (he gets paid at the NHL level even if he's scratched, right?)

not sure how much money that is, but maybe its the only legal way they can give him a little bonus for doing well at the WJC.

NHL pay is NHL salary/# of season days (usually in the 180-186 range per season) x # of days on the roster.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I don't understand all the consternation. He did well at a junior tournament; now he's going to keep working on his game and developing in the minors so he'll be ready to contribute when the time comes. In other words, a pretty standard development path. He's a teenager. Give the kid a little time.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I don't understand all the consternation. He did well at a junior tournament; now he's going to keep working on his game and developing in the minors so he'll be ready to contribute when the time comes. In other words, a pretty standard development path. He's a teenager. Give the kid a little time.

He's seen as having offensive talent so he must play immediately and every game no matter what. C'mon. :laugh:

I agree that he needs to work on his game. Talent is great, but does nothing if he doesn't know how to make it work at this level. We need him to provide more than secondary assists on the PP and grow into the scorer he has the potential to become.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Because we are starved for offensive talent that's the rush in people's minds-- people are looking for someone to attached to. Also, people are looking for a reason to hate Trotz/Poile so this just gives them another reason to vent.

It's great the Forseberg did well in the WJC, but it's a glorified high school tournament. He was still raw at the NHL level. Give him some time in Milwaukee against a middle ground competition to continue to develop. If he continues to do well and develop, he'll be back in Nashville shortly.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Also, while he's in Milwaukee he's building chemistry with other prospects like Beck, Sissons, Moser, Watson... You know. The kids that are right on the verge of making it and will probably be playing with Forsberg on the team in the future.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
A few days later, I'm calmer about this. Still disappointed, still disagree, but I'm calmer. I don't see the harm in bringing him up and giving him a shot in Hornqvist's spot as long as 27 is hurt, but I guess him gaining more confidence in the AHL is nice too.

Still, the guy has scored at over a PPG pace in the AHL so far this year. How much more does he have to prove down there?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
A few days later, I'm calmer about this. Still disappointed, still disagree, but I'm calmer. I don't see the harm in bringing him up and giving him a shot in Hornqvist's spot as long as 27 is hurt, but I guess him gaining more confidence in the AHL is nice too.

Still, the guy has scored at over a PPG pace in the AHL so far this year. How much more does he have to prove down there?

A week isn't really a good sample size. Gaustad was a goal per game player after the opener at St Louis ...

Forsberg needs to learn how to play 5on5 hockey on North American sized ice. Every goal he's scored in the NHL or AHL was on the PP. He was on the ice for too many goals allowed in the AHL, a bothersome trend that shows in his NHL play with the worst GA/60 ES TOI on the team (3rd worst in the league for players with 10+ games played).

Last edited:

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser

I don't think it is a "prove it" thing as much as it is a physically mature thing at this point.

For example, when the staff reigned in Jones's minutes for a 2-3 week span to get his legs back under him, they had no option to send him down where he could get multiple days rest in between games. I know the AHL has a funky schedule sometimes, but for the most part, there is a good rest period. They peeled back his minutes and now he is getting good mins again. I think this is because he is going to have a nice break at the Olympics and then they can continue to run him hard. Point is, they had to let the kid grow a little and rest.

With Forsberg you do have that opportunity. He doesn't need to get pummeled every night by grown professionals. He learns the rink, how to take checks, how to take care of himself on and off ice, he will be up.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
I don't think it is a "prove it" thing as much as it is a physically mature thing at this point.

For example, when the staff reigned in Jones's minutes for a 2-3 week span to get his legs back under him, they had no option to send him down where he could get multiple days rest in between games. I know the AHL has a funky schedule sometimes, but for the most part, there is a good rest period. They peeled back his minutes and now he is getting good mins again. I think this is because he is going to have a nice break at the Olympics and then they can continue to run him hard. Point is, they had to let the kid grow a little and rest.

With Forsberg you do have that opportunity. He doesn't need to get pummeled every night by grown professionals. He learns the rink, how to take checks, how to take care of himself on and off ice, he will be up.

He is tearing it up again for the Ads.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I tnink ill take a 4 point game every other night even if he stinks it up the other game..

1 ES point ... doing well on a PP that is converting at 50% against Calvin Pickard tonight. If he can keep this up, he works his way back to the big club. If it is an anomaly, he doesn't get called back up so quickly. Raving about small sample sizes doesn't mean he's improved his game on NA ice. On ice for an ES goal last night and a shortie tonight ... haven't seen the video to know if he was innocent or to blame on either.

twig

Dec 8, 2013
For Forsbergs sake, keep him away from the stink that is this season's preds.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Also, while he's in Milwaukee he's building chemistry with other prospects like Beck, Sissons, Moser, Watson... You know. The kids that are right on the verge of making it and will probably be playing with Forsberg on the team in the future.

In other words, the guys that are part of the re-build we have so many clamoring for while it's actually happening.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
In other words, the guys that are part of the re-build we have so many clamoring for while it's actually happening.

Exactly. I think a lot of people say "rebuild" but they really mean "instantly better". It just doesn't work that way. This team isn't a veteran forward away from a Cup run. The offense needs a serious injection of talent, and that's only going to happen by building through drafting and development. If someone is available during free agency, great, but these days that's even rarer than it was before. You're not going to see a Paul Kariya type of player on the market this summer.

Let Forsberg develop and grow. Trade off a veteran forward or two this year for high draft picks or blue-chip prospects. Add young talent. Then DEVELOP them properly. We're at least a couple of seasons away from competing (barring somebody big coming onto the FA market this summer and Poile managing to land them). Don't rush it. Let the defense gel. Let Rinne get completely healthy before coming back. And let the offensive prospects come through the system the way they're supposed to. The team will be better for it in the long run.

Of course that could just be my optimistic side speaking. I guess time will tell.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Will Cehlin ever be an NHL:er?

I haven't seen too many reports on him lately but the times I've seen him at prospects camp and even training camp, I thought he had a shot. He's a great skater and made drills look easy because of this. He was head and shoulders above everyone else that I saw on the ice in that respect. His game reminded me a lot of Martin Erat. Hopefully he keeps on developing like I remember and hopefully he gets a shot in another year or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad