Friedman: Preds only untouchables are Josi, Ellis and Rinne

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Someone in Preds organization is sitting at home laughing loudly at Friedman. Rinne is untouchable in 2021? Yeah right.
I would assume this is a loyalty thing. They probably asked him “Do you want us to trade you for a chance at a cup?” and he said no, so they chose to honor his wish.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
That complicates things in dealing him. Just like Kane and Toews in Chicago.

That doesn't make him "untouchable" though. Perhaps simply "untradeable".
I mean, he's trying to convey info in 140 characters (or whatever) so probably didn't want to take the extra space to clarify. It may be value to the org or it may be the NMC, but I'd expect things would change if Josi ever asked to be traded. Until that happens, no point in pursuing further.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
If the expansion draft wasn't coming up from the leafs id offer
2021 1st
Amirov
Hirvonen
Kerfoot ( for cap reasons)
2022 2nd

For
Forsberg ( 15% retention)

Buzzman17

Apr 13, 2017
Would like to see forsberg on line with Tavares and Nylander.

is Kerfoot, First in 2021 and Amirov enough to get it done for Forsberg 40 percent retained.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
That's not how you build winning teams. Kill your darlings and all that.

The fact that Forsberg is not on that list should be a fireable offense.

Seems unnecessary to even name his name in a no-trade conversation then.

What if he want to continue to play for another year?

What do you think Rinne's value actually is? He's almost 40 and he's just not very good anymore. We'll be fine "not build a winning team" if we don't trade our franchise goalie for a 4th out of respect for all he's done for us.

I don’t doubt that. And I’m willing to part with literally any other prospect that’s not named Robertson.

I’m not trying to Bracco + 2nd you guys lol

If we thought about dealing Forsberg we'd need at least one prospect that a team is hesitant on dealing, otherwise we could just deal Arvidsson or Ekholm, Robertson seems to be that guy for Toronto

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
We'll see about that, you didn't actually make an offer yet. ;)

And frankly, most Predator fans disagree with the omission of Forsberg/Fabbro so it's going to be an extremely tough sell for us. I think it's more likely the org is going to listen to offers on some of these guys, but are not actively shopping them.
Haha I mean fair enough.

now for prospects Sandin is kinda weird cause I don’t wanna say we wouldn’t trade him but even if we could part with him I don’t think you guys would be going for a defensive prospect cause you have enough of those.

So what if instead the leafs do 2021 1st + Abramov + Hallander + 2022 2nd + Roster Player for Cap (Kerfoot probably)

Abramov and Hallander are both C Prospects, Hallander is 20Y/O but had 19 points in 41 games in the SHL this/last year.

Abramov was basically solo carrying his QMJHL team, having something like 30+ more points than the next closest player on his team. I think at one point he had more goals than anyone on his team had points. it was ridiculous.

Ledge And Dairy

This makes sense, they seem to have passed their window now.
- Josi is their captain and just signed a long term deal, he's the perfect vet to guide a new team
- Ellis is also on a long term deal and a was a core part of what brought them to the finals, another vet presence for the team
- Rinne has always been a Pred and probably asked to retire there, they are likely just respecting his wishes since he brought so much to the organization

Ledge And Dairy

Imagine present day Rinne being an "untouchable" let's hope for Preds fans sakes that Friedman is out to lunch here.
Nah his untouchability is justified because of what he did for the Preds. They probably approached him first and asked if he would move for a cup chance. They are basically saying "Out of respect for Rinne we aren't going to shop him"

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
What do you think Rinne's value actually is?
Not much, and that's why I feel it's strange to put out his name on a no-trade list. I guess it's some way to publically show Rinne that he'll retire as a Nashville Predator, but I don't see why that kind of showing would even be necessary.
He's almost 40 and he's just not very good anymore. We'll be fine "not build a winning team" if we don't trade our franchise goalie for a 4th out of respect for all he's done for us.
Sure, I get that.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
2021 1st
Amirov
Hirvonen
2022 2nd

For

is Kerfoot, First in 2021 and Amirov enough to get it done for Forsberg 40 percent retained.

Forsberg is great but come on guys what are these offers

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
To Toronto-
Ekholm
Forsberg
Granlund

To Nashville-
Rielly
Nylander

Lol no.

Edmonton's decade + of "wallowing in suckitude" came almost 2 decades after trading Gretzky in 1988.

They won a Cup without Gretzky in 1990. Went to the Conference Finals in 1991 and 1992.

They also were a playoff team for several seasons from 1993 to 2004. They only hit rock-bottom after Pronger demanded to be traded after the 2006 Finals run.

I was referencing a different era of Edmonton, you mentioned Gretzky. Yes, Edmonton won without Gretzky, then they sold off all their good players and sucked until '05. Then Pronger demanded a trade and they sucked for a decade more. Teams need meaningful veteran depth.

2021 1st
Amirov
Hirvonen
2022 2nd

For

Most of those assets we could get by dealing someone else.

That's not close at all.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think the NHL might need to introduce one compliance buyout every five seasons. It'll make things interesting as a whole because I imagine teams will make trades so other teams will use one that hasn't been used yet. Reason I say that is because there are too many stupid contracts in the league holding teams back, and the Duchene contract is one of many Nashville contracts that need to be bought out because no way they'd be able to trade that contract.

But also, I imagine nobody wants Rinne as he's getting to his final days and will likely retire a Nashville Predator.
And what do you think GM's would do once they freed themselves of a bad contract? Why they'd just go out and spend that capspace on more bad contracts...

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Forsberg is great but come on guys what are these offers

Those aren't good offers. A recent 1st in Amirov, a late 1st before adding Forsberg and a cap dump is frankly very poor. Adding Hirvonen and a 2nd makes it less so, but even then it's quantity over quality and we can get similar players dealing our other players. Offer something you don't want to lose or don't bother.

Buzzman17

Apr 13, 2017
Lol no.

I was referencing a different era of Edmonton, you mentioned Gretzky. Yes, Edmonton won without Gretzky, then they sold off all their good players and sucked until '05. Then Pronger demanded a trade and they sucked for a decade more. Teams need meaningful veteran depth.

Most of those assets we could get by dealing someone else.

That's not close at all.
I don’t think the trade market is going to be strong this year

Buzzman17

Apr 13, 2017
Those aren't good offers. A recent 1st in Amirov, a late 1st before adding Forsberg and a cap dump is frankly very poor. Adding Hirvonen and a 2nd makes it less so, but even then it's quantity over quality and we can get similar players dealing our other players. Offer something you don't want to lose or don't bother.
I would do Nick Robertson straight up for forsberg 40 percent retained

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Yes, Gretzky was traded and anybody can be traded, BUT nobody wants to end up like Edmonton where they spent a decade + wallowing in suckitude. Josi literally just won the Norris and is our captain, Ellis is a solid vet, you can split them up and play them with our young guys so they don't get fed to the wolves every night.

A couple firsts from a contender would be such a pitiful return for Josi when we have several players that can get a first and a prospect back in a trade.

Rinne, as said before is about to retire and has a NMC/NTC and it's probably his decision to not move.
You do realize Edmonton won the Cup after the Gretzky trade?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Haha I mean fair enough.

now for prospects Sandin is kinda weird cause I don’t wanna say we wouldn’t trade him but even if we could part with him I don’t think you guys would be going for a defensive prospect cause you have enough of those.

So what if instead the leafs do 2021 1st + Abramov + Hallander + 2022 2nd + Roster Player for Cap (Kerfoot probably)

Abramov and Hallander are both C Prospects, Hallander is 20Y/O but had 19 points in 41 games in the SHL this/last year.

Abramov was basically solo carrying his QMJHL team, having something like 30+ more points than the next closest player on his team. I think at one point he had more goals than anyone on his team had points. it was ridiculous.
It doesn't sound like Bracco+a 2nd, but I think we'd want to get a higher quality asset back.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
idk what the rest of the leafs fans are offering here. if you really want a player like forsberg you have to be real with your offers.

I don’t think the leafs really need many C prospects. We are gonna be running Matthews Tavares for a long time so I’m not worried about that right now. If we need a 3C or 4C that’s something you can go out and get.

so if the preds would do 2021 1st + Abramov + Hallander + Kerfoot I would do that as well.

hell, I’d add another prospect if they wanted, just not at that high a level. (More like a Kral/Kokkonen/Abruzzese)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->