Friedman: Preds only untouchables are Josi, Ellis and Rinne

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Someone in Preds organization is sitting at home laughing loudly at Friedman. Rinne is untouchable in 2021? Yeah right.

He's 38 and has a NMC/NTC. He'll retire a Pred and get his number retired asap. He's not an "untouchable." like McDavid, he's an "untouchable" like Linden.

EDIT: Yes, I realize Linden moved around.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Whoever is dressing Friedman needs to be fired - or sent back to the 70s where they belong.

If you're gonna dress like that Fridge wave a pipe around and take a few puffs off it.

Yeesh - and my wife makes fun of me when I wear cargo shorts.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I don't think it is productive for any franchise to label any player as "untouchable".

Wayne Gretzky was traded. Anyone can be traded.

If a trade makes your team better or better positions you for a rebuild, then nobody should be considered "untouchable".

If some team wants to give you a couple of 1st round picks, or a 1st round pick and an elite prospect, for either Josi or Ellis, then you have to consider doing it.

They aren't going anywhere during the prime of those two players, so if you can start a rebuild by getting prime assets for them at the peak of their value, then you have to do it.

As for Rinne? I wouldn't consider him untouchable. More like "what would the point be of trading him?". I don't think you would get much for him. Goaltenders never fetch much of a return when traded. Some teams have trouble even giving goaltenders away for free. So they might as well just allow him to finish his career where it started.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
38 Pekka Rinne is untouchable? That makes no sense.
Assuming loyalty to their longtime franchise goalie. To let him retire a pred

Wait how long was he there? I assumed he was their franchise guy, I’ve never known them to have another big starter

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't think it is productive for any franchise to label any player as "untouchable".

If a trade makes your team better, then nobody should be considered "untouchable".

If some team wants to give you a couple of 1st round picks, or a 1st round pick and an elite prospect, for either Josi or Ellis, then you have to consider doing it.

They aren't going anywhere during the prime of those two players, so if you can start a rebuild by getting prime assets for them at the peak of their value, then you have to do it.

As for Rinne? I wouldn't consider him untouchable. More like "what would the point be of trading him?". I don't think you would get much for him. Goaltenders never fetch much of a return when traded. Some teams have trouble even giving goaltenders away for free. So they might as well just allow him to finish his career where it started.
In Josi's case, he just signed probably his retirement contract and has a NMC, so may have already conveyed his intention to stay in Nashville regardless.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
In Josi's case, he just signed probably his retirement contract and has a NMC, so may have already conveyed his intention to stay in Nashville regardless.
That complicates things in dealing him. Just like Kane and Toews in Chicago.

That doesn't make him "untouchable" though. Perhaps simply "untradeable".

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

If a trade makes your team better, then nobody should be considered "untouchable".

Yes, Gretzky was traded and anybody can be traded, BUT nobody wants to end up like Edmonton where they spent a decade + wallowing in suckitude. Josi literally just won the Norris and is our captain, Ellis is a solid vet, you can split them up and play them with our young guys so they don't get fed to the wolves every night.

A couple firsts from a contender would be such a pitiful return for Josi when we have several players that can get a first and a prospect back in a trade.

Rinne, as said before is about to retire and has a NMC/NTC and it's probably his decision to not move.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I actually buy that part - I'm 95% sure we've promised Rinne that he will retire a Pred. He's untouchable out of respect for what he's done with the franchise, not because of value.
That's not how you build winning teams. Kill your darlings and all that.

The fact that Forsberg is not on that list should be a fireable offense.
He's about to retire and has a NTC/NMC so likely already indicated he will not accept being traded.
Seems unnecessary to even name his name in a no-trade conversation then.
He's 38 and has a NMC/NTC. He'll retire a Pred and get his number retired asap.
What if he want to continue to play for another year?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don’t doubt that. And I’m willing to part with literally any other prospect that’s not named Robertson.

I’m not trying to Bracco + 2nd you guys lol
We'll see about that, you didn't actually make an offer yet. ;)

And frankly, most Predator fans disagree with the omission of Forsberg/Fabbro so it's going to be an extremely tough sell for us. I think it's more likely the org is going to listen to offers on some of these guys, but are not actively shopping them.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Josi and rinne got NMC
Ellis took a hometown discount of sorts.

anyone else has a price doesn’t mean there is a team willing to pay what the asking price is though

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Yes, Gretzky was traded and anybody can be traded, BUT nobody wants to end up like Edmonton where they spent a decade + wallowing in suckitude. Josi literally just won the Norris and is our captain, Ellis is a solid vet, you can split them up and play them with our young guys so they don't get fed to the wolves every night.

A couple firsts from a contender would be such a pitiful return for Josi when we have several players that can get a first and a prospect back in a trade.

Rinne, as said before is about to retire and has a NMC/NTC and it's probably his decision to not move.
Edmonton's decade + of "wallowing in suckitude" came almost 2 decades after trading Gretzky in 1988.

They won a Cup without Gretzky in 1990. Went to the Conference Finals in 1991 and 1992.

They also were a playoff team for several seasons from 1993 to 2004. They only hit rock-bottom after Pronger demanded to be traded after the 2006 Finals run.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
That's not how you build winning teams. Kill your darlings and all that.

The fact that Forsberg is not on that list should be a fireable offense.

Seems unnecessary to even name his name in a no-trade conversation then.

What if he want to continue to play for another year?
Edit: addressing your last quote on Rinne

Either way, if he himself doesn’t want to leave Nashville, I don’t believe they’ll push it. He’s probably content in the only city he’s known. His jersey is going up whenever.

If he wanted out they’d probably move him to a contender. I’m sure the Caps would like to collect another relic

I assume Friedman simply meant not to expect Rinne to get traded. He was mentioning it at the same time as the untouchables and just included him. Not sure why people read to much into that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad