Confirmed with Link: Preds Name Roman Josi Alternate Captain

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
The Nashville Predators defenseman was named an alternate captain on Tuesday by the club, joining Captain Shea Weber, alternate captains Mike Fisher and James Neal, as well as goaltender Pekka Rinne in making up the Predators core leadership group for the 2015-16 season.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Josi and Rinne are my favorite players on the team. But I have to disagree giving an A to such a young player yet again. But this is nothing new for this team. Perhaps im too old fashioned and expect a player to have a number of years in the league before being pinned as a leader. It has been a mistake with Weber who has been the most ineffective captain this team has had. Its more of a popularity contest these days. But glad to see Josi get recognition.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Josi and Rinne are my favorite players on the team. But I have to disagree giving an A to such a young player yet again. But this is nothing new for this team. Perhaps im too old fashioned and expect a player to have a number of years in the league before being pinned as a leader. It has been a mistake with Weber who has been the most ineffective captain this team has had. Its more of a popularity contest these days. But glad to see Josi get recognition.

Sometimes it is more attitude and personality than it is age. Look at Toews, he's been the captain of Chicago since 2008.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It's more about continuing to play the game the right way while showing above average work ethic than seniority. It's just an "a" anyway. Not even that it's the default "a" when one of the two aren't there. Meh.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
It's more about continuing to play the game the right way while showing above average work ethic than seniority. It's just an "a" anyway. Not even that it's the default "a" when one of the two aren't there. Meh.
As someone who follows the Jays as my AL team, I almost laughed when I saw your avatar's featured player was Hutchison. I mean, he's fine but, just wasn't expecting one that far off the board haha

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Yea..he's been chucking grapefruits what seems like all season long. That said I've been a fan of the kid for a while. I know there's a few brew crew fans over here. Hope Lind is servicing you guys well. But I digress..hockey talk, etc, etc.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY

What won't you complain about? :laugh:

Ribeiro, Jackman, Nystrom & Gaustad are the only other players on the roster who have significantly more NHL experience than Josi. I'd take Josi wearing an A over any of them.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I don't know how Weber has been ineffective as captain......because I haven't seen what goes on behind the scenes or hear what goes on on the ice and that's largely what being a captain is. The captain the known leader in the clubhouse and is the guy allowed to go and speak to the refs about issues and really be the guy able to complain or lobby for things on the team's behalf. I'm sure in that regard, Weber has a good amount of pull with the officials. I don't know if any of us are able to really say how efficient a captain is being.

Yea..he's been chucking grapefruits what seems like all season long. That said I've been a fan of the kid for a while. I know there's a few brew crew fans over here. Hope Lind is servicing you guys well. But I digress..hockey talk, etc, etc.
I'm a Padres fan, not Brewers, but yes some of those crazy Wisconsinites on here are Brew Crew fans.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What won't you complain about? :laugh:

It is kind of getting silly. I half expect if ever this team wins the Cup the next post we'd get from him would be "this is great and all, but can we repeat? No, I don't think we can, because stuff things et cetera..." ;)

Nice to see Josi get this kind of acknowledgment, even if it is as an alternate alternate. :)

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013

That's what got me actually - the "'A' if Fisher or Neal are absent'", huh? I have to have missed something because I didn't realize NHL teams gave out backup letters in anticipation of missing roster regulars? I mean, don't teams typically just name their letters (1C, 2As, or 4As if rotating, or 5As if rotating and no C) and only WHEN it actually happens that a someone who had a C or A is traded, long term injured, etc., THEN name a replacement? Never heard of a team designating replacement letters before anyone needs to be replaced.

Any chance mgmt has cause to believe one of Fisher or Neal is gonna need to be replaced very soon? Or is mgmt merely trying to keep Josi feelin' the love, despite that it's basically meaningless so long as Fisher and Neal are good to rumble?

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Let's face it, based on Fisher and Neal's history, one of them is likely to miss some time due to injury. This way there is no trying to guess who the A will go to. And it's a nice honor for Josi to be named to the leadership core and now he knows that he's now one of the top guys that is expected to lead the team on and off the ice.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Or is mgmt merely trying to keep Josi feelin' the love, despite that it's basically meaningless so long as Fisher and Neal are good to rumble?

exactly. first time I've ever seen 'alternate' A named ahead of time, but it's no doubt to reward Josi. I like the idea, expands the 'formal' leadership group in the locker room. and the preds have always tried to handle things by a leadership council internally. add in the old vets like Nystrom, Gaustad, Ribeiro, and Jackman and there should be plenty of accountability and guidance for the youngsters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad