Preds lead Jets 8-0 in minor penalties so far

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Jets deserved 6 or 7 of those penalties and aren't playing disciplined. Problem is refs aren't calling any penalties against Nashville (I count at least 2 clear penalties that should have been called and some minor stuff that I don't mind if they let go for both teams). Refs also manufactured a penalty from thin air to give Nashville a 5 on 3 which left a bad taste in my mouth.

I wouldn't call this a complete screw job, but the Refs have definitely let the game get away from them and are taking it out on the Jets. Lots of after whistle scrums and late hits not being called against the Preds.

This is how I sum it up too. Jets didnt do themselves any favours thats for sure.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Jets have been one of the most penalized teams the last 3 seasons. Maybe its time to stop blaming the refs and blame the players/coach

It seemed to me like they were just letting the bad blood out from their playoff series in a game that doesnt matter much. They definitely lost their cool, kept tempting the refs and breaking them on the way to the box every call.

Eight is kind of crazy though

StupidityKills

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta
I didn’t watch the game so I can’t comment on this specific circumstance; however we shouldn’t always expect penalties to be even in a game. Just because one team took 4 stupid penalties in a period doesn’t mean they should be gifted an easy call to ‘make up’. I find that kinda BS happens all the time in the playoffs and fans whine that the other team had 4 more power plays over the series and that makes it ‘unfair’. A properly reffed game means calling infractions, nowhere does it say they have to be even for both sides.

Thanks for reading my rant.

I agree that evening up calls is dumb but in this case it's not that they aren't even, it's that it certainly appears as if Winnipeg doing "action A" is a penalty but Nashville doing "action A" is not a penalty.

If the jets deserved all 8 penalties then Nashville also deserved at least 3 or 4.

Reactions: Big Cactus

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Actually saw this happen in a minor league game a number of years ago...a playoff game between the Chicago Wolves and the Milwaukee Admirals..before Mil. was affiliated with Nash...We here in Chicago call it the Harry Dumas game..Funny thing is the GM for the Wolves at that time, I believe,...Chevy...Milwaukee was given 18 power plays to the Wolves 2...do the math...Chicago spent 36 of a possible 60 minutes shorthanded...funniest part of it all...Chicago still won the game and bounced Milwaukee from the playoffs...Dumas never did another game in the league again

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
I feel like most, if not all of them were legit. I can't say I like how the Jets play. This game sort of reaffirmed it. With all due respect, I think Big Buff is a dirty savage, on the ice. I love intensity, but Buff is a dirtball and the Jets can be undisciplined.

Not much to see here, really.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
That was a ridiculously called game. Wrecked what started out as a high intensity match. Bush league.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
whats up with Laine?

only 7 goals in his last 31 games (including playoffs)

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The refs were nearly as biased as the Preds broadcast team. I like Chris Mason but someone tell the guy he sounds like a complete amateur when he refers to the Preds as “We”. I’ve heard very biased commentary before (hello Bruins) but Mason seems like he missed some lessons in broadcasting 101.

That Preds PP is downright awful. The Jets had about as many good looks short handed as they did on the PP. Even their 5-3’s were useless.

The only thing good in this game was the goalies who both played awesome.

And the start of the game. Before the penalty parade started fans were being treated to a hell of a game. Back and forth super fast and intense. More of that and less of the refs being “the show”.

Lesley Nielsen umping in Naked Gun has nothing on these guys.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
The refs were nearly as biased as the Preds broadcast team. I like Chris Mason but someone tell the guy he sounds like a complete amateur when he refers to the Preds as “We”. I’ve heard very biased commentary before (hello Bruins) but Mason seems like he missed some lessons in broadcasting 101.

That Preds PP is downright awful. The Jets had about as many good looks short handed as they did on the PP. Even their 5-3’s were useless.

And the start of the game. Before the penalty parade started fans were being treated to a hell of a game. Back and forth super fast and intense. More of that and less of the refs being “the show”.

Well it’s a good thing that Mason is playing to a Nashville Predator’s audience on a Nashville Predator’s broadcast then, huh?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Well it’s a good thing that Mason is playing to a Nashville Predator’s audience on a Nashville Predator’s broadcast then, huh?

Yes as all broadcasters do. He was just s bit too much of a cheerleader for his profession. He should say “The Preds need to” not “we need to”. He’s not playing. I’ve definitely heard more homers then him. But even they didn’t refer to themselves as being a part of the team.

Reactions: SoupaTroupa

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Yes as all broadcasters do. He was just s bit too much of a cheerleader for his profession. He should say “The Preds need to” not “we need to”. He’s not playing. I’ve definitely heard more homers then him. But even they didn’t refer to themselves as being a part of the team.

I mean, he's a Predators employee and former player (there are still players on the team that he played with). I agree that broadcasters should generally attempt to stay impartial as much as possible, but I give a break to local guys who are being paid by the team to be homers. If I tune in to a national broadcast, I want an impartial call, but if I tune in to a local broadcast I expect them to be somewhere on the homer scale.

Buffalo Preds

Jun 18, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I cut former players a break for saying "we" as long as they can be critical. And it's not like Mason was supporting every call by the refs - he said the slash on Trouba was a phantom call.

Mike McIntyre in the Free Press said the calls were mostly earned, which seems correct. Nashville's power play is dire, and it seemed like the Jets were confident that a harder edge in their play could soften the Preds without costing them a goal. They were half right. I can't wait for the next rematch.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Nashville gets some of the most biased officiating regularly in the form of different rule standards.

ESPECIALLY at Bridgestone. It's like the officials are called to a room before the game starts and told they aren't allowed to give Nashville penalties in Nashville, and any time they complain about something (every stoppage) they are probably telling the truth so call a penalty.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

If you single out the Bruins home network as being your primary example of bias I tend to question your judgement anyways as you're simply following the oft repeated opinions of rival fanbases.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
After awhile it got to the point that the refs were looking for stuff from a very frustrated Jets team. Not that we didn’t earn most of those because we showed a high lack of discipline.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
If you single out the Bruins home network as being your primary example of bias I tend to question your judgement anyways as you're simply following the oft repeated opinions of rival fanbases.

Not true.
In WPG we get the Boston channel that has most of the Bruins games.
In the dark days after Jets 1.0 left I watched a lot of their games. I had no horse in the race (wasn’t cheering either way). The colour guy (former Bruin whose name I can’t think of) was ridiculous. Everything the other team did was an absolute fluke and the Bruins were robbed at every turn.

Once TSN and Sportsnet expansed their coverage of the league I didn’t have much need to watch the Bruins games.

Note : I realize the commentator I’m referring to is likely long gone. He’s the gold standard for biased announcers in my books.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Nashville gets some of the most biased officiating regularly in the form of different rule standards.

*Citation needed.

Preds fans, we need to file this one away for the next time we are on the wrong side of unbalanced penalty calling and try to remember not to be so whiny. It happens several times a year to almost every team. Jets still got shut out so it's not like the calls cost them the game.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Thats weird because last season the Preds lead the league in penalty minutes while the Jets were about 15th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad