Rumor: Preds interested in Gaudette

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I think Fabbro is too high an ask straight up. So, I will ask Nashville fans what the Predators Expansion Draft protection would like like right now since they have Jossi, Ellis, Ekholm, Fabbro on D who are eligible. Would Nashville go 4/4/1?

How much more of an add would be required?
Right now we go 4/4/1 as we don't have more than 4 forwards worth protecting.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Right now we go 4/4/1 as we don't have more than 4 forwards worth protecting.
Ok. That's fine. Canucks have a slot on D open for the ED, so they would be shopping for a Dman from teams who have 4 guys but need to go 7/3/1.

Just took a quick look at the Preds roster and it's better to lose that #5 forward than the #4 dman who are eligible. Even if that means Tolvanen who would also be eligible.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I think Fabbro is too high an ask straight up. So, I will ask Nashville fans what the Predators Expansion Draft protection would like like right now since they have Jossi, Ellis, Ekholm, Fabbro on D who are eligible. Would Nashville go 4/4/1?

How much more of an add would be required?

The add to get Fabbro would have to be significant.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
That's actually legitimately what the Canucks DO need. They need better coaching, a top 4 defenceman, and a completely revamped bottom 6. Given the flat cap and Green's expiring contract, coaching and bottom 6 are two areas that the Canucks can quickly revamp, but they need a solid 3C to build around.
So you think the best way to go about this type of transformation is to trade away the only regular bottom 6 player on the team with offensive upside and a cap hit under $1million dollars. I also disagree with you on the team needs. Right now the Canucks have 4 top 6 forwards (9,40,6,53) if the Canucks want to be a cup contender they need 2 additional top 6 wingers. As for the bottom 6, sure Sutter plays that type of role, but at $4.38 he is paid as a top 6. How do the Canuck's easily rebuild their bottom 6 with $3x2yrs owed to Roussel and Beagle, $4+ owed to Sutter and $6 million on our 14th forward. On defense we have 1 top pairing guy (43), 1 2nd pairing guy (88) and a whack of third pairing/AHL players to round out the defense.
So in your scenario we add cap over Gaudette, get older, lose years of control, lose any offensive upside and do nothing to correct the current issues the team is having.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Not to derail the thread, but I'd give up a 3rd for Gaudette this offseason from the Wild.
Any coach that trades Gaudette right now for a 3rd should be fired on the spot. Gaudette has shown he can play in this league and has had some offensive splashes. A 3rd is a 12% chance of doing what Gaudette has already done.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Would David Farrance be an option?
I think only if he has expressed some indication of not signing with us. We don't anticipate that. But otherwise if we're re-entering a bit of a retooling mode, then I don't think moving our best D prospect is likely on the table. Not for Gaudette, who we have versions of already, anyway.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Pretty much anybody under 25 should be no go for us, especially guys like Fabbro or Farrance.

Only exception would be if Farrance explicitly says that he's not signing here, in that case sure why not.
if the Canucks are moving Gaudette it also better be for someone under 25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad