GDT: Preds @ Caps - 9/25/13 @ 7 PM - Radio Only

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Agree he is a shooter but we seem to have very few playmakers. But that doesnt mean that they cant do it, they just do other things better, or prefer other things. Case in point as you said, Grabs. Ovi can pass and has revamped his game to pass more over the years. If anyone was a shooter, it was him and his ~500 shots.

Agree. And I don't mean to suggest Fehr can't be a passer either. I just guess I think he's best served as a winger. But in Oates we trust!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You know who is regarded as one of our playmakers, MP, Yet he is almost 50 50 on goals and assists.

yeah, no, Ovi was not always a great passer. He hasn't been a passer long enough to "always" have been a great passer.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
You know who is regarded as one of our playmakers, MP, Yet he is almost 50 50 on goals and assists.

yeah, no, Ovi was not always a great passer. He hasn't been a passer long enough to "always" have been a great passer.

Ovechkin has always been a great passer. 11-12 everyone except Ovechkin didn't want to score goals. Last year Ovechkin turned Ribeiro into a 30 goal scoring pace guy but he played less than half a season on a line with him, but other than that Ovechkin didn't even really play on a line with a guy who was at least on pace for 20.

Brouwer wasn't even in a position for Ovechkin to really feed and I think Ovi also returned Green to being the best goal scoring dman in the league.

Liberati0n*

Maybe Oates showing him confidence by playing him at center, has raised his confidence every where.

When scorers score, they cant miss. I bet he could play LW tonight and look as good.

What was it you said about managing players' confidence when I suggested that demoting Fehr following good playoff games was stupid?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Alzner-Green
Erskine-Carlson
Hillen-Oleksy
That's going to be our real defense... *shudder*

I've made the comparison before, and I'll do it again. Perreault and Grabovski play pretty similar styles. Both guys love to stick-handle and have possession of the puck. Both guys make plays at speed. Both guys love to buzz around the slot when they don't have the puck. Perreault isn't as good as Grabovski, especially when it comes to strength or his shot, so he has to rely on his energy a little more and be more opportunistic about his goals.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I would call Fehrs first goal unassisted... Defense man freaked out from Grabo pressure and turned it over, but Grabo didn't touch it.

Also pretty nice how on Backstrom's goal Ovechkin knocks the puck out of the air so gently for MoJo to be able to onetouch it to Backstrom.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Ovie has always been a good passer with good vision. He's not at the elite level, but he can make plays on a level with most NHLers, even putting aside rebounds. In other words, he's no Backstrom, but the boy can sling a pass, and he has been able to do so since he entered the league.

His 54 assists with the 05-06 Caps speaks volumes to his early career playmaking.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Nice playmaking from Grabo in the highlight package. If he can replace some of Ribs' offense while playing the kind of D he's capable of, he could be a very good addition to this team.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ovie has always been a good passer with good vision. He's not at the elite level, but he can make plays on a level with most NHLers, even putting aside rebounds. In other words, he's no Backstrom, but the boy can sling a pass, and he has been able to do so since he entered the league.

His 54 assists with the 05-06 Caps speaks volumes to his early career playmaking.

59 a few years later....

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Hard to think of a better way for Grabo to endear himself to new teammates than by getting 5 assists in his 1st 2 games. Everybody loves a guy that can dish.

SlappaDaBass

May 7, 2012
Hard to think of a better way for Grabo to endear himself to new teammates than by getting 5 assists in his 1st 2 games. Everybody loves a guy that can dish.

He really does look promising, I would love to know what Ovie said to him after he dished him the puck for the our 4th goal last night. Hopefully it was something along the lines of "Prepare for a whole season of this stat padding baby!"

foundhockey: my mistake, noted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->