Preds 2023-24 predictions

Preds 2023-24 Predictions

• Worst case scenario, blow up team as much as you can at TD

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • We might make the playoffs, don't dump anybody just yet (widely miss playoffs)

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Almost make playoffs, your season tickets were worth it

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Make playoffs, bounced first round

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Bounced second round

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I can't believe we made it this far

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
The real concern with Schenn is not going to be his play. He’ll play like what he is; slow and immobile. He is not improved by longevity and experience. The concern should ultimately be what in the world is he doing here? This will be a high level mistake but I reiterate, one game; it’s only been one game.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The real concern with Schenn is not going to be his play. He’ll play like what he is; slow and immobile. He is not improved by longevity and experience. The concern should ultimately be what in the world is he doing here? This will be a high level mistake but I reiterate, one game; it’s only been one game.
I think the big mistake will be if our coaching staff just refuses to see it and adjust accordingly. But I feel like they already did do that in Game #1, to be honest. Schenn was dropped in the rotation like a hot potato and ended up logging only 15:11, i.e. #5D minutes. If he can't keep up in the games and the staff just decides to keep trucking him out there despite that, then we'll have problems, sure. But so far I don't have any reason to believe they'll do that. I guess we'll find out.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I don't have a problem with Schenn in the vet 6/7D role that Boro had the last couple years. I do think he is a bit redundant since we have McDonagh which is a premium vet D option though. Schenn's contract is also pretty brutal, but cap space doesn't project to be an issue anytime soon so that isn't that big of a deal.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If you play schenn where he should be 6/7 D, then you have to do something about Lauzon. You cant pair a slower, less mobile Dman with one that constantly gets out of position in order to chase a hit.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If you play schenn where he should be 6/7 D, then you have to do something about Lauzon. You cant pair a slower, less mobile Dman with one that constantly gets out of position in order to chase a hit.
And it just so happens we have plenty of mobile D kicking around to put out there instead of Lauzon. Starting with Fabbro, but also Stastney waiting off camera as a true LD.

One thing that might be a little scary is if the staff falls in love with Barrie and opts to lock him up. This is another "well it's only 1 game" thing... but he seems like a good guy in the room, and if he performs well, I mean, I do see a tendency for Josi preferring to play with a mobile veteran partner, even if us fans never like it. I could imagine Barrie becoming his new Ellis. Imagine! :eek3: :sarcasm:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
And it just so happens we have plenty of mobile D kicking around to put out there instead of Lauzon. Starting with Fabbro, but also Stastney waiting off camera as a true LD.

One thing that might be a little scary is if the staff falls in love with Barrie and opts to lock him up. This is another "well it's only 1 game" thing... but he seems like a good guy in the room, and if he performs well, I mean, I do see a tendency for Josi preferring to play with a mobile veteran partner, even if us fans never like it. I could imagine Barrie becoming his new Ellis. Imagine! :eek3: :sarcasm:
Barrie will be 33 when this contract expires. If we lock him into more years ill be extremely disappointed

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Schenn was a reaction to a perceived problem on D. With Fabbro, Carrier, and Barrie down the right side, we were undersized and not overly physical. Throw in Boro's retirement and the situation didn't look good. As Trotz bluntly put it, he wanted someone that would bring the physical toughness to keep Josi from taking the cheap shots, etc.

Just have to see if the Schenn of game one is the "real" Schenn going forward. Schenn sat game 2 for Fabbro, so who knows.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Schenn was a reaction to a perceived problem on D. With Fabbro, Carrier, and Barrie down the right side, we were undersized and not overly physical. Throw in Boro's retirement and the situation didn't look good. As Trotz bluntly put it, he wanted someone that would bring the physical toughness to keep Josi from taking the cheap shots, etc.

Just have to see if the Schenn of game one is the "real" Schenn going forward. Schenn sat game 2 for Fabbro, so who knows.
So who would you sit in favor of Schenn

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

I guess i fall in the group that believe that players like Schenn dont really stop cheap hits from happening. Schenn just gives us a right handed Lauzon.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I do worry that our defense is too soft for playoff hockey. The problem is based on Game 1 and what I’ve seen previously is that Schenn is too slow for playoff hockey so that doesn’t really solve the problem.

Reactions: bdub24

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I do worry that our defense is too soft for playoff hockey. The problem is based on Game 1 and what I’ve seen previously is that Schenn is too slow for playoff hockey so that doesn’t really solve the problem.
Schenn just seems too slow for the system Brunette wants to run. If Hynes was still coach, i think schenn would fit right in

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
So who would you sit in favor of Schenn
Personally, nobody. I might rotate him in every so often to give one of the guys a game off.

On the other hand, I'm not too hung up on my first impressions. Maybe he's better than that and will be an asset of some sort?

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
This is about Schenn’s 17th NHL season. I give him great credit for that since he’s always been fairly slow but adjusted his game accordingly. Also, yes, he was on TB cup teams and his name is on it but he was a role player there and used sporadically. His role here is probably to play sporadically when Preds play one of those rough house teams(a dying concept) and for injuries. I feel that’s to be his role and that he knows it. It’s a good role for an older vet. I think he started against TB out of respect for his days there and to wake up Fabs who has a tendency to play too relaxed; has the skill, needs a fire! Schenn will give his all, provide leadership and be what he is; a tough old guy on his way out.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I guess i fall in the group that believe that players like Schenn dont really stop cheap hits from happening. Schenn just gives us a right handed Lauzon.
Yeah. I can see that. Is Schenn really known as a tough guy who'll drop the gloves and punch people in the mouth?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yeah. I can see that. Is Schenn really known as a tough guy who'll drop the gloves and punch people in the mouth?
6 major penalties last year which is tied with cole smith.

He led the nhl in hits at 318. Lauzon was 9th with 250. Just means that if you put those two out together theyre probably just gonna go out there and hit people.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What is Schenn's injury? Did he sustain it in the Tampa game, or maybe it was something that has been bugging him through camp, and he wanted to play through it in Tampa, but couldn't really? Maybe he'll come back magically better and is not actually as bad as that game? :crossfing

<Wishful thinking mode>

I believe he can fly!

1697209298549.png
1697209310380.png

Last edited:

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
What is Schenn's injury? Did he sustain it in the Tampa game, or maybe it was something that has been bugging him through camp, and he wanted to play through it in Tampa, but couldn't really? Maybe he'll come back magically better and is not actually as bad as that game? :crossfing

<Wishful thinking mode>

I believe he can fly!

View attachment 752223 View attachment 752224
Porter, we need more of these!

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
Well, provided we make the playoffs (knock on wood), this team obviously fooled 75% of the voters, including me. Pulling for the two folks that voted for the last choice!

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Well, provided we make the playoffs (knock on wood), this team obviously fooled 75% of the voters, including me. Pulling for the two folks that voted for the last choice!

I was definitely part of the 75% and missing the playoffs was the most likely outcome. No one saw this coming, especially with how it has unfolded. If they did I'd really like to understand the logic walk on that one so I can leverage it for future betting opportunities!

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Lol 39 votes in that poll. Either we have a whole lot of lurkers who never post or a bunch of non Preds fans voted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad