Friedman: Predicts Avs Will Go “Big-Game Hunting”

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
What do people think about Sakic the GM lately? One of the best these days? He seems to have a lot of patience and he stays quiet. I respect that. I think he is going to wait for his chance to strike but how long can he wait? Good chance he does something in the short span and he has the cap space to make a move too.
He has been great. We were all pretty low on him pre-Duchene trade but that trade marked the beginning of a new era with him. Almost every trade he makes and extension he signs seem to be really good. Like the Girard extension is going to be amazing by the end, he is already worth that money. Burakovsky I thought was a bad move but the guy has been good so far so maybe Sakic was right on that one too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He has been great. We were all pretty low on him pre-Duchene trade but that trade marked the beginning of a new era with him. Almost every trade he makes and extension he signs seem to be really good. Like the Girard extension is going to be amazing by the end, he is already worth that money. Burakovsky I thought was a bad move but the guy has been good so far so maybe Sakic was right on that one too.

He's been patient which is key. He't not the type of GM to shoot his mouth off either. As a Habs fans, I respect the job he has done and I would say he is one of the best GM's today based on what he has done in the last few years.

Reactions: Mac Attack

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Hopefully the won't give up much if it's a rental. The roster is not good enough to win it all this year, not with the D core we are icing.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Big game hunting?

giphy.gif

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
They are pretty close... over the last 3 years.

I think 1 is .74 ppg and the other is .75... landy getting benefit of better line mates and more productive power play.

Its debatable sure... but i think rakell on that pp w/ those line mates likely goes off. And for the record i like landy a lot... he was a guy i always dreamed putting with perry and getzlaf

I love Rakell but Landy is easily the better all rounded player; Rakell the more talented offensively. Landy basically does all the dirty work for that top line and plays as the 1C in a sense for the top line and has turned into an elite/near elite defensive forward imo.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Ha! Wasn't Sakic "worst GM ever" three years back? He's flipped that coin for sure.

Yeah, a lot of people didn't understand how bad the Avs system really was when Sakic took over. They had some good players on the NHL team, but Duncan Siemens was pretty much the only NHL-potential prospect in the system, and there wasn't much behind him. As guys left, they were forced to get whatever UFAs and waiver pickups to fill out the NHL roster, which ultimately led to the dumpster fire of 2016-17. When you're 3 years into a job, it's hard to still blame things on your predecessor, so the blame fell on Sakic for that season, and first year coach Bednar was a failure too. But since then, they've made the playoffs two years in a row, and were an off-sides call away from likely making it to the WCF last season. It's hard to argue with the results, and the tweaks he made this off-season seem to have worked pretty well so far this season too, at least when everyone was healthy.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think that's a misquote. I believe the Avs are looking to go "big" game hunting, and as we all know, Jeff Carter only scores in blowouts, AKA "big" games with high scores. So I think it's pretty clear to see that Carter will be on the Avalanche sooner than later.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
I dunno if Rakell is a secondary piece though. I at least consider him very, very high end.

He had b2b 33 and 34 goal seasons before a down year last year(Still paced for 20+ goals and 50 points) and now this year he's being hindered by a heavily trap/defensive based system Anaheim is using.

I actually think Rakell in Colorado would be a real threat to hit 40 goals. He has a ridiculous shot and hasn't really had much opportunity to play with high offensive players like he would in Colorado.

But I have for a long time now been beating the "Hall to Colorado" drum and still do. He would turn this team from a Darkhorse cup team into a top tier contender. And I think we have the assets to put together a deal that actually gets him out of New Jersey that few other teams in the league could put together. They're obviously going to want Defense and probably Defense that can help now. If the Avs offered something like Zadorov/Timmins + 1st + Kaut/Newhook as a package I dont see anyone else topping that.

The beauty of it for Colorado is we have the cap space to get him signed as well.

...Now, all of that said, the obvious move is Hall but I'm not sure Joe goes down the obvious route. He's kind of made some surprise moves in the past and we've seen in some of his more recent moves that cap flexibility is still important for us. I do think we go big game hunting, but I wonder if we dont go big game hunting on a surprise name that people dont even expect to be available. A guy with term left on his deal and at a friendly cap hit like what we did this past summer with Kadri.

Getzlaf isnt a good enough player for Rakell? Wtf If anythiNg his point totals probably go down seeing he would be behind Rantanen, MacKinnon, Landeskog and Kadri rather than be the top threat.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think the Avs would be hesitant to give up a roster player. 1st + 2nd + Bowers/Kaut would be my guess.
I think if Avs get Hall, Jost is gone. There will be no room or role for him on the team anymore. He's up for new contract next year and if Avs to sign Hall, they couldnt resign Jost anyway. Also Burakovsky will be gone next year as well.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I think if Avs get Hall, Jost is gone. There will be no room or role for him on the team anymore. He's up for new contract next year and if Avs to sign Hall, they couldnt resign Jost anyway. Also Burakovsky will be gone next year as well.
Jost is only going to cost around $2.5m short term to $3.5m medium term. There is lots of room to keep him. Bowers and Kaut not looking like they'll be ready any time soon.

It will more than likely be Zadorov gone. The Avs can't keep him with the expansion draft anyway.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Jost is only going to cost around $2.5m short term to $3.5m medium term. There is lots of room to keep him. Bowers and Kaut not looking like they'll be ready any time soon.

It will more than likely be Zadorov gone. The Avs can't keep him with the expansion draft anyway.
If Avs get someone like Hall and end up resigning him, something gotta give. They cant keep everyone, specially when MacK signs his new contract in 4 years.

If let's say Hall resigns for more than 4 years, dont think Avs can resign Jost and Burakovsky next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->