Friedman: Predicts Avs Will Go “Big-Game Hunting”

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Quite a few players don't match with Babcock, He pretty much had troubles with his players at the end there in Detroit.
Yeah! And you guys told as ... but I was too stupid back then. Thought you guys are too pissed that you lost him and we are getting some Superman. Well you guys were right all along ... it took me much time, but it turned out that he is just a stubborn old man, who values only his opinion and will never change. Now I will even say that he seems to have been carried by star players on Detroit and team Canada ... and it's not certain if he has even contributed to any success.

Reactions: noway and 63 others

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If you want to try and explain how Milan Lucic's talent level is even close to Rakell or Hall's...then be my my guest and grab the podium.

Hall won an MVP trophy for his talent level, you’re the guy that trotted out games played as some kind of be all end all. Rakell is an ant compared to Hall’s boot.

Reactions: Gabe the Babe

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
if a team can pull Hall, give a very good package and still be a contender, it's the Avs.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
if a team can pull Hall, give a very good package and still be a contender, it's the Avs.

True. We might not be able to give the best offer, but we have to be one of the better teams suited for Hall to extend with. If Sakic can get a handshake agreement from Hall I'd offer

Zadorov
Newhook
2020 protected first
2021 second

Then for the next three years we run with

Hall - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Kadri - Burakovsky

Girard - Makar
Byram - Timmins

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Hall is a great player and I'm usually on the "get an elite core & then focus on the supporting cast" bandwagon; but I'd rather we saved Byram & used our other ammo on 2nd tier targets...ideally something like Zucker, Pageau & Savard to give us that legit top 6er who could step right in next to MacK, that middle-pairing vet to help stabilize our young blueline, and an elite 3C to give us an advantage we can lean on down the middle.

Those are the caliber of target that best fit what we've got to spend; as opposed to trying to piece together some Byram-free uber-package for Hall...or worse, burning that Byram card now when we don't need a Hall caliber addition to get to where we want to go.
I'm happy with Jost as the 3c. If we add one more top six guy and then Compher and Donskoi are Jost's linemates we could have a dominant 3rd line.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How about taking back Barrie? He and Babcock do not match.
It took Bednar a year to realize he needed to let Tyson dance around forecheckers before getting on his horse, instead of trying to force him into being a stationary-outlet-passer; so I wouldn't give up on Babs figuring it out, yet...but sure :naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
It took Bednar a year to realize he needed to let Tyson dance around forecheckers before getting on his horse, instead of trying to force him into being a stationary-outlet-passer; so I wouldn't give up on Babs figuring it out, yet...but sure :naughty:
If it took Bednar a year ... it means that it will take at least 3 years for Babcock to figure this out. But poor Barrie ... I am actually very sad for him, because we are totally screwing him up during his contract year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If it took Bednar a year ... it means that it will take at least 3 years for Babcock to figure this out. But poor Barrie ... I am actually very sad for him, because we are totally screwing him up during his contract year.

lol well this time around at least there's footage of how not to handle Barrie, whereas when Bednar was doing it wrong we had only ever seen Roy utilize Barrie properly...so maybe that helps Babs figure it out over the holidays?

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
lol well this time around at least there's footage of how not to handle Barrie, whereas when Bednar was doing it wrong we had only ever seen Roy utilize Barrie properly...so maybe that helps Babs figure it out over the holidays?
No ... Babcock trusts only his eyes. The only footage Babs watches these days seems to be on the hunting channel. :D Thanks for the nice chat, dude! :)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Tyson Jost+Justus Annunen+2020 2nd for Taylor Hall with max retention (50%).

Would think Annunen would be hugely appealing to New Jersey given their goaltending woes and his eye popping stats in Finland.

Jost is a good young replacement for Hall, as a speedy winger with some upside.

New Jersey lacks a 2nd and a 3rd this year but has two 4ths. So the 2nd makes them somewhat whole again at the draft.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

Would think Annunen would be hugely appealing to New Jersey given their goaltending woes and his eye popping stats in Finland.

New Jersey lacks a 2nd and a 3rd this year but has two 4ths. So the 2nd makes them somewhat whole again at the draft.

Umm mm no thanks from the Devils.
Goalies do not hold much value unless a stud blue chip slam dunk stud . So a bottom 6 forward , a goalie prospect and a second for Taylor Hall? Plus salary retained ???
If that’s all Hall would get, I’d prefer to keep him and retain salary at the deadline where more teams could absorb his pro rated cap hit .

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

IMO that's a pretty weak package from the Avs, they could do significantly better. And retaining on Hall for half a year really doesn't do anything for us. The Avs have the second most cap space in the league right now.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Doesn’t seem like a good trade. For one you’re asking for salary retention which increases Hall’s value. Problem is, Avs don’t need salary retention. If anything they’ve shown that they’d rather take a bad contract back WITH Hall to lower the asking price.

Second, it’s a bad offer for the Devils. They can and will get better offers for Taylor Hall.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What do people think about Sakic the GM lately? One of the best these days? He seems to have a lot of patience and he stays quiet. I respect that. I think he is going to wait for his chance to strike but how long can he wait? Good chance he does something in the short span and he has the cap space to make a move too.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Landeskog?
They are pretty close... over the last 3 years.

I think 1 is .74 ppg and the other is .75... landy getting benefit of better line mates and more productive power play.

Its debatable sure... but i think rakell on that pp w/ those line mates likely goes off. And for the record i like landy a lot... he was a guy i always dreamed putting with perry and getzlaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad