3​
|Liverpool|Atletico Madrid|Leverkusen|Napoli|Ajax
4​
|Arsenal|Celta Vigo|Gladbach|Internazionale|AZ Alkmaar

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I think United have definitely improved on paper but I have a hard time putting them on top with all the ego in the locker room.

Arsenal is good but I expect them to choke some big games.

Manchester City, Pep Guardiola is a football genius and he will improve the teamplay.

Chelsea: Conte is the most intense coach and he will lift this team for sure.

Liverpool: Missing Europe is a blessing they will be going all out every week.

My ranking:
1. Manchester City
2. Arsenal
3. Chelsea
4. Liverpool

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
1. Manchester United (Mou's initial success before falling out with players next year)
2. Chelsea (Conte can build teams that don't lose a lot, especially with no Europe)
3. Liverpool (Trending upward and gets close, but not quite yet, maybe 17/18)
4. Manchester City (Players can't adjust to Guardiola quickly enough)
5. Tottenham (Increased inconsistency because of Europe)
6. Arsenal (Wenger is finally gone after this season)
7. Leicester City (European commitments hamper them too much)
8. West Ham
9. Stoke
10. West Brom
11. Southampton
12. Crystal Palace
13. Everton
14. Sunderland
15. Watford
16. Middlesbrough
17. Swansea
18. Hull City
19. Bournemouth
20. Burnley

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2063007&page=4

I haven't changed my mind from the early summer prediction thread (see above), but at the bottom I'll predict Hull finish last with the way things are with them as of now.

In France, I'm obviously expecting PSG to win, and Lyon will finish second. Don't know the bottom teams well enough to predict the lower end of the table.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
EPL:

1. Spurs
2. Man United
3. Man City
4. Liverpool
5. Arsenal
6. Chelsea

Spurs to win. Best defense in the league by a lot, and they have Harry Kane who could be the top striker in the league this season. Man United could come close, but I think their defense isn't yet good enough. No proper holding mid, Bailly is still raw and they have no RB. Man City has no defense yet, and you don't know if Aguero will stay fit or not. I think Klopp maximizes the talent of Liverpool, but they still aren't that good. Arsenal and Chelsea have similar problems. Major problems at center-back. Chelsea has enough CB's, they are just too old and slow. Arsenal has one quality center-half. Chelsea will need a bounce back season from Hazard, Fabregas, Matic, and we don't know that will happen. Arsenal needs a better CF.

La Liga:

1. Barca
2. Real Madrid
3. Atletico

Not a very interesting league, besides the top 3 teams. I think Barca's front three is just going to be too good for the rest of the league. They need a RB, and better CB depth. RM has had a quiet summer, but I think their front three is going to struggle this year in comparison to MSN, so thats where I think the big difference in the two sides will be. Atletico will put up a fight, but they are overmatched, in terms of talent.

Bundesliga:

1. Bayern
2. BVB
3. Leverkusen
4. Wolfsburg
5. Schalke
6. Gladbach

I don't understand Bayern's plan at CB and CF. I think they have big depth issues at both positions, and they also have some really injury prone AM's. I think they've improved at coach, but it might take some time for them to learn the Ancelotti system. Dortmund has not addressed the biggest needs. A team that already struggled at CB lost their best CB, and only added Marc Bartra. #8 is also a problem, didn't address it. Brought in a ton of attackers. Most of them were good buys. Leverkusen could surprise people. They made some good buys in the summer, and already have a good squad. Wolfsburg could rebound after a terrible season. I also liked their transfer business. I think Schalke's going to struggle. They've made some good veteran signings, but they've struggled for real leaders defensively for years, and I don't think losing Matip helps. Some might say gaining Embolo makes the departure of Sane lessened, but I don't think Embolo is that good. I feel like Gladbach overachieved last season, and losing Xhaka does not help.

I think Juventus, PSG and PSV will all win their leagues by 10+ points.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Bundesliga:

1. Bayern
2. BVB
3. Leverkusen
4. Wolfsburg
5. Schalke
6. Gladbach

I don't understand Bayern's plan at CB and CF. I think they have big depth issues at both positions, and they also have some really injury prone AM's. I think they've improved at coach, but it might take some time for them to learn the Ancelotti system. Dortmund has not addressed the biggest needs. A team that already struggled at CB lost their best CB, and only added Marc Bartra. #8 is also a problem, didn't address it. Brought in a ton of attackers. Most of them were good buys. Leverkusen could surprise people. They made some good buys in the summer, and already have a good squad. Wolfsburg could rebound after a terrible season. I also liked their transfer business. I think Schalke's going to struggle. They've made some good veteran signings, but they've struggled for real leaders defensively for years, and I don't think losing Matip helps. Some might say gaining Embolo makes the departure of Sane lessened, but I don't think Embolo is that good. I feel like Gladbach overachieved last season, and losing Xhaka does not help.

I think Juventus, PSG and PSV will all win their leagues by 10+ points.

What what what.

Bundesliga top 4 will be the same as last year imo. Dortmund might have had a good chance if they had only sold one key player, but they sold their three best. Too many new and uncertain pieces. The team had already in large part come together by this point of last preseason and looked very good. They've had a lot more problems so far. I think they'll start slowly as a result of all the upheaval, and that will cost them any shot at the title. Hopefully they can do well in the cups at least.

My hunch for the EPL top 6:
City
United
Liverpool
Arsenal
Chelsea
Tottenham

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What what what.

Bundesliga top 4 will be the same as last year imo. Dortmund might have had a good chance if they had only sold one key player, but they sold their three best. Too many new and uncertain pieces. The team had already in large part come together by this point of last preseason and looked very good. They've had a lot more problems so far. I think they'll start slowly as a result of all the upheaval, and that will cost them any shot at the title. Hopefully they can do well in the cups at least.

My hunch for the EPL top 6:
City
United
Liverpool
Arsenal
Chelsea
Tottenham

Bayern has depth problems at CB and CF. They have two healthy CB's right now, Martinez and Hummels. Good players, but they don't really have any other healthy CB's. They also only have 4 CB's on their roster, and while a Hummels and Boateng pairing with Javi Martinez as the main back up is one of the best top 3's in world football, they have no depth after that. Badstuder is always injured. Are they going to keep the Pep strategy of playing full-backs and defensive midfielders as CB's? I think its a very poor strategy. They need CB's, not players who can line up for a few games as a CB. Benatia might've been out of favor, but why is he leaving on loan when they only have 3 CB's who can be expected to stay healthy this season, and one of those players is already injured?

I also don't understand what they are doing at striker. They have three strikers on their roster, two starters and then Julian Green, so you don't have a pecking order of three full time CF's. They have no depth at the position. Julian Green is not viable depth to replace Lewa when he needs a game off. Would it really have been such a big problem to sign someone for 10 million to sit on the bench? If they have an injury epidemic in March, what are the excuses going to be? They could strengthen in the winter, but they do need some better depth. Even the winger positions have questionable depth, considering that they are relying on very injury-prone wingers.

I think Pep is overrated, I've had this discussion with you and others before. It doesn't need to be rehashed. Also, I don't know why you are surprised that I said Dortmund has depth issues at CB. Sokratis is not a top level CB, its unlikely Bartra is either, otherwise why would Barca be getting rid of him? Bender and Ginter are stop gaps who can play a few positions, not starting CB's for a team that should be aiming to win titles. Dortmund needed to bring in CB's this summer before Hummels left. I don't know how you are happy with our CB depth. Sokratis and Bartra as your 3 and 4 CB's with the two stop-gap options is not bad, but those should be back ups, not the main CB's. CM is also a big problem. Castro, an extra AM, another DM are not long-term alternatives. Tuchel is building a team that can challenge Bayern eventually, but how can we challenge and do well in the UCL without CB's and a B2B mid? I liked the summer business, but the Schurrle money should've been spent on a CB or CM. The Guerreiro money could have also gone towards a CB or CM or Schmelzer could've been sold and that money went towards a CB or CM. Kagawa isn't needed either. Sell him, and buy a CB or CM.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Bayern has depth problems at CB and CF. They have two healthy CB's right now, Martinez and Hummels. Good players, but they don't really have any other healthy CB's. They also only have 4 CB's on their roster, and while a Hummels and Boateng pairing with Javi Martinez as the main back up is one of the best top 3's in world football, they have no depth after that. Badstuder is always injured. Are they going to keep the Pep strategy of playing full-backs and defensive midfielders as CB's? I think its a very poor strategy. They need CB's, not players who can line up for a few games as a CB. Benatia might've been out of favor, but why is he leaving on loan when they only have 3 CB's who can be expected to stay healthy this season, and one of those players is already injured?

I also don't understand what they are doing at striker. They have three strikers on their roster, two starters and then Julian Green, so you don't have a pecking order of three full time CF's. They have no depth at the position. Julian Green is not viable depth to replace Lewa when he needs a game off. Would it really have been such a big problem to sign someone for 10 million to sit on the bench? If they have an injury epidemic in March, what are the excuses going to be? They could strengthen in the winter, but they do need some better depth. Even the winger positions have questionable depth, considering that they are relying on very injury-prone wingers.

I think Pep is overrated, I've had this discussion with you and others before. It doesn't need to be rehashed. Also, I don't know why you are surprised that I said Dortmund has depth issues at CB. Sokratis is not a top level CB, its unlikely Bartra is either, otherwise why would Barca be getting rid of him? Bender and Ginter are stop gaps who can play a few positions, not starting CB's for a team that should be aiming to win titles. Dortmund needed to bring in CB's this summer before Hummels left. I don't know how you are happy with our CB depth. Sokratis and Bartra as your 3 and 4 CB's with the two stop-gap options is not bad, but those should be back ups, not the main CB's. CM is also a big problem. Castro, an extra AM, another DM are not long-term alternatives. Tuchel is building a team that can challenge Bayern eventually, but how can we challenge and do well in the UCL without CB's and a B2B mid? I liked the summer business, but the Schurrle money should've been spent on a CB or CM. The Guerreiro money could have also gone towards a CB or CM or Schmelzer could've been sold and that money went towards a CB or CM. Kagawa isn't needed either. Sell him, and buy a CB or CM.

You're thinking too superficially. Alaba put in class performances as a CB time and again. But he shouldn't even be a fourth option there, why, because he broke through as a LB and that's the only position you can associate with him?

Lewandowski never gets hurt and neither does Müller. Look up how many games those two have missed due to injury in recent years. CF depth is also irrelevant.

I'm concerned with Dortmund's CB's now, but it wasn't an issue last year as you implied.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're thinking too superficially. Alaba put in class performances as a CB time and again. But he shouldn't even be a fourth option there, why, because he broke through as a LB and that's the only position you can associate with him?

Lewandowski never gets hurt and neither does Müller. Look up how many games those two have missed due to injury in recent years. CF depth is also irrelevant.

I'm concerned with Dortmund's CB's now, but it wasn't an issue last year as you implied.

Even if you prefer Alaba at CB, who plays LB? Bernat is not good, and Lahm hasn't played LB regularly in years. CF is only not a problem if Muller and Lewa don't get injured. If they do, you are stuck using Julian Green as your CF. Having a Pizarro or Ramos type of player would help them out.

The Dortmund CB's weren't that much of an issue because the level of competition Dortmund faced. Adding UCL ups the competition. Outside of games against Bayern, there aren't many Bundesliga teams that can consistently threaten Dortmund's defense because they just don't have the ball that much. In the UCL, most teams will be able to play us pretty even, and so having good CB's will be important. Also, I wouldn't say the CB's were that great in that second Liverpool game.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
CM is also a big problem. Castro, an extra AM, another DM are not long-term alternatives. Tuchel is building a team that can challenge Bayern eventually, but how can we challenge and do well in the UCL without CB's and a B2B mid? I liked the summer business, but the Schurrle money should've been spent on a CB or CM. The Guerreiro money could have also gone towards a CB or CM or Schmelzer could've been sold and that money went towards a CB or CM. Kagawa isn't needed either. Sell him, and buy a CB or CM.

Guerreiro played CM in his first test for Dortmund. I think he has the skills to be a good CM too.
Maybe this will be not the season for something great.
If there is the Chance they should buy Toprak and Dahoud next season.

-----------------------Bürki
Pisczek--------Toprak-------Bartra---------Guerreiro

-----------------Weigl----------Dahoud

-------Dembele----------Götze------------Reus

----------------------Aubameyang

-

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
They've done nothing but improve over the summer and both Dortmund and Bayern have some sizable changes, plus Carlo isn't as strong in the league coupled with their entire squad played Euros basically.

Leverkusen is....Leverkusen. Bayern will win the league by a large margin. Rather 10 points than 5. Dortmund will be second, weaker than last year, but still better than Leverkusen or Schalke.
I have doubts the Wobbies will finish in the top 5 or 6.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
EPL

1. Chelsea
2. United (top 2 teams have no CL games to worry about)
3. City
4. Arsenal
5. Spurs
6. Liverpool
7. West Ham
8. Leicester City
9. Stoke
10. Southampton
11. Everton
12. Crystal Palace
13. Bournemouth
14. Middlesbrough
15. Swansea City
16. Watford
17. Hull City
18. West Bromwich
19. Sunderland
20. Burnley

La Liga

1. Barcelona
2. Atletico Madrid
3. Real Madrid
4. Valencia
5. Sevilla
6. Villarreal
7. Bilbao

Bundesliga

1. Bayern Munich
2. Borussia Dortmund (race will be close til the end)
3. Bayer 04
4. Mönchengladbach
5. Schalke
6. Wolfsburg
7. Augsburg

Serie A

1. Juventus
2. Roma
3. Lazio
4. Inter
5. Napoli
6. AC Milan

Ligue 1

1. PSG
2. Lyon
3. Saint-Étienne
4. Monaco

Champions League

some kind of final 4 of Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus and PSG.
Barcelona probably wins it all.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Guerreiro played CM in his first test for Dortmund. I think he has the skills to be a good CM too.
Maybe this will be not the season for something great.
If there is the Chance they should buy Toprak and Dahoud next season.

-----------------------Bürki
Pisczek--------Toprak-------Bartra---------Guerreiro

-----------------Weigl----------Dahoud

-------Dembele----------Götze------------Reus

----------------------Aubameyang

-

I'd buy Toprak, Brooks and Dahoud. That would be a really good team. I think it could contend for the UCL title.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
1st - Bayern Munich, 2nd - Dortmund
1st - Real Madrid, 2nd - Ath Madrid
1st - Paris, 2nd - Lyon
1st - Juventus, 2nd - Inter
1st - Man Utd, 2nd - Man City

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
1 - Man Utd - Great transfer window. Should be challenging for the title. I'm biased.
2 - Man City - Injury prone spine of the team. Fullback is a weakness. Title will be in Manchester this season.
3 - Chelsea - Hazard back on form. Kante/Conte should make them solid. No Europe.
4 - Arsenal - Good signings, eventually. Other teams will improve this season.
5 - Tottenham - Down year for Kane. No surprise if they finished top 4 though.
6 - Liverpool - Could make top 4. Will score and concede a lot.
7 - Leicester - Euro distraction and lack of defensive depth could hurt them.
8 - West Ham - No Europe, improved depth. 7th is their ceiling.
9 - Everton - Should improve under Koeman.
10 - Stoke - Needed a CF, got Bony.
11 - Southampton - Could finish higher.
12 - Crystal Palace - Benteke was desperately needed. Might need to get rid of Pardew.
13 - Swansea - Williams and Ayew are big loses. Will need Baston/Sigurdsson to carry them.
14 - Hull - Decent starting 11, anymore injuries and they're in trouble.
15 - Middlesbrough - Decent squad for a promoted team.
16 - Watford - Could struggle if Ighalo and Deeney don't score.
17 - West Brom - Depends if Pulis stays.
18 - Bournemouth - Needed to upgrade at CB.
19 - Sunderland - This is the year.
20 - Burnley - Can't see them staying up.

Anyone in the bottom 9 could get relegated.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Mostly bad predictions. Good for the people who had Chelsea winning. And for the guy who said Arsenal won't finish top 4... although they still could.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Rank​
| England | Spain | Germany | Italy | Netherlands
1​
|Chelsea|Real Madrid|Bayern Munich|Juventus|PSV
2​
|Manchester City|Barcelona|Dortmund|Roma|Feyenoord
3​
|Liverpool|Atletico Madrid|Leverkusen|Napoli|Ajax
4​
|Arsenal|Celta Vigo|Gladbach|Internazionale|AZ Alkmaar

Deng. I think I had all the right league winners except the Eredivisie (assuming Real doesn't stumble)...which is weird because I'd been talking about Feyenoord all off-season and mentioned them as league winners multiple times in the 'other domestic leagues' topic.

Underestimated Spurs this year. Pleasantly surprised with their performance.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Deng. I think I had all the right league winners except the Eredivisie (assuming Real doesn't stumble)...which is weird because I'd been talking about Feyenoord all off-season and mentioned them as league winners multiple times in the 'other domestic leagues' topic.

Underestimated Spurs this year. Pleasantly surprised with their performance.

I think your predictions were the best of the lot. Kudos

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Horrendous from me all-around.

But I think I pick Arsenal to win the title every year. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->