Predictions for the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Mine are...

Enver Lisin slipping into round two.

Petteri Nokelainen making a jump into the first round.

Boris Valabik and Bruce Graham going in the top 20, possibly top 15.

Mike Green will be one of the sexier picks in the draft, because of his right-handed shot on defense in a draft where all the talent on defense seems to be left-handed. And most of the good middle tier of dmen will be gone relatively early into round two with a run on dmen.

Lauri Korpikoski going in the top 15.

A lot of European players will be taken on day one.

Pierre McGuire bashing Mike Milbury.

The Sharks will take at least one high school player and one German :)

clarkson16

Jun 14, 2004
North Country
I'm thinking that Pittsburgh will trade the 2nd to move to the 3rd maybe 4th depending on who they want. Reason being, with all the trouble they had with giving Fleury his rookie money, Malkin presents possibly an even bigger challenge.

I wonder who is second on their wishlist behind Malkin. Olesz or Barker. Pittsburgh has assembled some good D propspects, but who is the better overall player and will Craig Patrick be looking at it that way?

rebedom

Nov 27, 2003
X-SHARKIE said:
Ottawa selects Adam Pineault and the Colorado Avalanche select David Booth.

What??? Isn't there a question of this guys character? Would you pass up Graham, a 6'6" centreman for Adam?

What about Graham, Bolland, Green or O'Neil?

X-SHARKIE

rebedom said:
What??? Isn't there a question of this guys character? Would you pass up a 6'6" centreman for Adam?

What about Graham, Bolland, Green or O'Neil?

I don't think it well happen, but a friend of mine who talks to both of those players...told me David thinks he's an Avalanche for sure and the Sens told Pineault they would take him possibly in the first.

Just going by ear.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I don't think it well happen, but a friend of mine who talks to both of those players...told me David thinks he's an Avalanche for sure and the Sens told Pineault they would take him possibly in the first.

Just going by ear.

Colorado might be targetting Booth at #55. Doesn't seem like he's a first rounder given the rankings but obviously anything can happen.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Brain Hemorrhage said:
Mine are...

Enver Lisin slipping into round two.

Not far into Rd. Two if so, I can see the Pens taking him (if he slips) with that first pick of the second round, depending on who else is there of course. Malkin and Lisen as our first two picks would be huge upgrades where we need it (Lisin much more of a hit or miss kind but you can not teach speed).

And no way in hell is Pittsburgh trading the pick absent the kind of offer Florida supposedly made for AO. If Florida wants Malkin for a similar offer Keenan can have him.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
clarkson16 said:
I'm thinking that Pittsburgh will trade the 2nd to move to the 3rd maybe 4th depending on who they want. Reason being, with all the trouble they had with giving Fleury his rookie money, Malkin presents possibly an even bigger challenge.

I wonder who is second on their wishlist behind Malkin. Olesz or Barker. Pittsburgh has assembled some good D propspects, but who is the better overall player and will Craig Patrick be looking at it that way?

Terrible. Barker and Olesz are going to demand just as much as Malkin will.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
X-SHARKIE said:

Just going by ear.

Well, if thats true...its common for players to think they are going to be drafted by a certain team from the number of interviews they have with said team. How many times have we heard that so and so thought he was going here because they showed the most interest? Just last year, Milan Michalek was surprised that the Sharks took him since they only interviewed him once or twice.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
  • One of the big guys Ladd, Valabik or Graham will be picked way too early (there's not much room for Ladd, but still).
  • Kings will have to trade up if they want to get Schwarz or Montoya, this is the only kind of trade involving a top ten pick that can happen.
  • North American goalies will be picked surprisingly early.
  • Korpikoski's inertia still hasn't worn off, picked too early.
  • Meszaros will be a steal in the early twenties, probably for the Avs.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Laituri said:
  • One of the big guys Ladd, Valabik or Graham will be picked way too early (there's not much room for Ladd, but still).

Valabik and Graham are 6'6, Ladd is 6'2 which no bigger than Tukonen or Olesz. If you're generalizing about big guys going too high perhaps Jeff Schultz would have been a better example. Ladd is a consensus top 8 pick and the Hawks head scout was very complimentary of high in a recent article as has every scout who I've heard quoted on Ladd.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
True that, I had a vague thought about Ladd going high because of too strong an emphasis on his power forward abilities. Gut feeling says third overall would be "way too early".

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Here's My predictions:

1. Either Carolina, Anahiem or the Rangers will trade for #3 and pick Cam Barker.
2. With Barker gone Columbus trades #4 to LA for #11 and some additional picks/prospects LA selects Scwarz @#4.
3. Montoya goes #5.
4. Columbus takes either Thelen, Meszaros, Green whoever is available in that order.
5. The Rangers will end up with 3 1st rounders.
6. Wasington will move up into the teens using their 2 late 1sts to do so.
7. Schremp and Radulove will both be available in the 20's.
8. Korpikoski and Zajac will both go top 15
9. At least 4 goalies go in round 1 maybe 5.
10. Lisin Voloshenko and Sindel drop to round 2.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Malkin has already signed with the pittsburgh penguins, which is voidable if he is picked first overall, and is just waiting to be picked with the 2nd pick. As soon as his contract is signed, he defects to the united states. He does this because he is getting paid a good bit of money and his family is in the US also for the draft, so no backlash could come of his defection. :)

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad