Speculation: Predictions for Future Inductees of the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame

Hein57

Feb 5, 2021
EDIT: Just to clarify, this is about the Winnipeg Jets Hall Of Fame, not the Hockey Hall Of Fame.
Previous inductees include Bobby Hull, Ulf Nilsson, Anders Hedberg, Dale Hawerchuk, Ab McDonald, Lars Erik Sjoberg, Thomas Steen, and Randy Carlyle.

Who do you think will be inducted next into the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame? I feel like right now, TNSE might be done with players from the WHA and 80's era for a while, not to say that there isn't a chance for them in the future, but they are probably going chronologically and I'm sure they would like to induct Teemu soon.. I had to predict the next few years, this is what I think we could see:

2022 - Teemu Selanne (Including the return of the 90's era jerseys for a couple games)

2023 - Keith Tkachuk

2024 - Teppo Numminen & Alexi Zhamnov

2025 - Dustin Byfuglien

2026 - Andrew Ladd & Bryan Little

2027 - Blake Wheeler

2025 Might be a bit early for the new era players, but you gotta imagine True North will start putting them in there eventually.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Teemu yes... rest of those guys are still well behind a lot of the 90's guys not in with 1200 career points or more

Hein57

Feb 5, 2021
Teemu yes... rest of those guys are still well behind a lot of the 90's guys not in with 1200 career points or more

What other 90's jets players would you recommend for the Jets Hall of Fame ahead of those guys?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Who do you think will be inducted next into the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame? I feel like right now, TNSE might be done with players from the WHA and 80's era for a while, not to say that there isn't a chance for them in the future, but they are probably going chronologically and I'm sure they would like to induct Teemu soon.. I had to predict the next few years, this is what I think we could see:

2022 - Teemu Selanne (Including the return of the 90's era jerseys for a couple games)

2023 - Keith Tkachuk

2025 - Dustin Byfuglien

2027 - Blake Wheeler

2025 Might be a bit early for the new era players, but you gotta imagine they will start putting them in there eventually.

Thoughts?
Teemu yes. Any of the rest, not at all. Unless Wheeler sticks around for five more years and the Jets win three or more Cups during that time (and if that's the case, then you'd likely have to add Scheifele). Hellebuyck is the only Jet from this era with a major individual trophy.

At this point, keep your fingers crossed about future Stanley Cups, and long, productive careers in Jets jerseys for PLD, Perfetti and perhaps Heinola.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Just Teemu. Is Steen in? Off-chance they put him in for his longevity, but I doubt it.

Edit: This is the Jets HOF, not the Hockey Hall of Fame right? That’s how I read it.

Hein57

Feb 5, 2021
Just Teemu. Is Steen in? Off-chance they put him in for his longevity, but I doubt it.

Edit: This is the Jets HOF, not the Hockey Hall of Fame right? That’s how I read it.

Just the Winnipeg Jets Hall Of Fame. The players that are currently in our rafters.

Already Inducted:
Bobby Hull
Anders Hedberg
Ulf Nillson
Dale Hawerchuk
Ab McDonald
Lars Erik Sjoberg
Thomas Steen
Randy Carlyle

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Just the Winnipeg Jets Hall Of Fame. The players that are currently in our rafters.

Already Inducted:
Bobby Hull
Anders Hedberg
Ulf Nillson
Dale Hawerchuk
Ab McDonald
Lars Erik Sjoberg
Thomas Steen
Randy Carlyle
Then, yeah ... not sure I see much past Selanne to be honest.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Then, yeah ... not sure I see much past Selanne to be honest.

Selanne only played 231 games for the Jets, not sure if he would even qualify in my opinion....

Buff / Wheeler / Scheifele are only "current" potential additions from 2.0 version. Helly has a number more good seasons, and he can throw his name into the hat I would assume. Ehlers may be able to enter the conversation as well.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
What other 90's jets players would you recommend for the Jets Hall of Fame ahead of those guys?

There isn't anybody that has any chance... I mean yes you named the most likely that would make it but none have a chance.

Oh my bad I'm just realizing that you meant jets HOF. I don't see the Jets adding anyone from 1.0 ever would only be 2.0 players from here out.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Teemu yes. Any of the rest, not at all. Unless Wheeler sticks around for five more years and the Jets win three or more Cups during that time (and if that's the case, then you'd likely have to add Scheifele). Hellebuyck is the only Jet from this era with a major individual trophy.

At this point, keep your fingers crossed about future Stanley Cups, and long, productive careers in Jets jerseys for PLD, Perfetti and perhaps Heinola.
Oops. Didn't read this well. Thought it meant the Hockey Hall of Fame. My bad.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
EDIT: Just to clarify, this is about the Winnipeg Jets Hall Of Fame, not the Hockey Hall Of Fame.
Previous inductees include Bobby Hull, Ulf Nilsson, Anders Hedberg, Dale Hawerchuk, Ab McDonald, Lars Erik Sjoberg, Thomas Steen, and Randy Carlyle.

2023 - Keith Tkachuk

2025 - Dustin Byfuglien

2027 - Blake Wheeler

2025 Might be a bit early for the new era players, but you gotta imagine True North will start putting them in there eventually.

Thoughts?
I'm on the fence about Tkachuk.
No to Numminen and Zhamnov.
Yes to Byfuglien (he deserves a proper sending-off by the club and more specifically the fans anyways).
No to Ladd and Little.
Yes to Wheeler.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
The bar has been set quite low. There are already more names in Winnipeg's rafters than Edmonton's.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I would put Essensa in. He played 5 years for the Jets and was a top 10 goalie in the NHL for about 4 of those years. Several of those other players that are already in the Jets Hall of Fame only spent 5 or less seasons with the Jets, so saying someone like Wheeler has to play several more seasons with the Jets is incongruous with what has past induction standards. You can also induct a player without retiring their number.

For Jets 2.0:

Byfuglien - easy yes. He was the face of the Jets (and probably most recognizable and popular) for 8 years. 3-time all star. Top-15 d-man in the NHL during his time here. Top-5 in points for an NHL d-man during his time with the Jets.
Wheeler - easy yes. Top 2-10 right winger in the NHL during his time in Winnipeg. One of the best playmakers in the NHL. Two top-10 point finishes in the NHL. Four top-10 assist finishes. 2nd team all star. 13 years in Winnipeg by the time his contract has expired.
Scheifele - easy yes. First draft pick for Jets 2.0. Likely be the Jets career leader in goals, assists, points, games played by the end of his career. Top-10 centre in the NHL the past 5 years. Two seasons top-10 point finishes.
Connor - leaning towards yes. Looks to be one of the best goal scorers in the NHL for years to come. Will likely have played at least 10 years for the Jets when his contract expires. Two top-10 goal scoring finishes already.
Ehlers - leaning towards yes. Looks to be developing into a top-10 left winger in the NHL. Can see several top-20 point finishes in the NHL. Will have played 10 seasons with Jets when contract expires.
Morrissey - maybe - First 3 seasons he was progressing nicely and looked and appeared to have potential to be a top-20 d-man in the NHL. Last two seasons has displayed regression. If he can return to form and have a long career in Winnipeg, I can see induction.
Ladd - maybe - first captain of Jets 2.0 and a vocal supporter of the team in the city. Briefly flirted with top -10 winger in the league status. Only with the team 5 years though. Experienced severe regression after hernia surgery. We know the rest when he signed with the Islanders.
Little - maybe - our first line centre for almost 5 years. Good two-way player who produced decent but nor great first line offence. Probably a top-20-25 centre at his peak with the Jets. Beset by injuries in recent years which has hampered his production. 10 years with the Jets if you include this year.
Enstrom - leaning towards no - 6 years with the Jets. Came to the organization as a top 10-15 d-man in the league...poor man's Lidstrom we were told. Good contributions at both ends of the ice the first few seasons here, but the offense dried up. Continued to be a under-appreciated player in his own zone though. Did have a tendency to get pushed around by larger opponents. Divisive player among the fanbase.
Pavelec - NO - played 6 seasons with Jets 2.0. Had that half a good season in 2014-15. Played lots of games. That's all I got.

Hein57

Feb 5, 2021
I would put Essensa in. He played 5 years for the Jets and was a top 10 goalie in the NHL for about 4 of those years. Several of those other players that are already in the Jets Hall of Fame only spent 5 or less seasons with the Jets, so saying someone like Wheeler has to play several more seasons with the Jets is incongruous with what has past induction standards. You can also induct a player without retiring their number.

For Jets 2.0:

Byfuglien - easy yes. He was the face of the Jets (and probably most recognizable and popular) for 8 years. 3-time all star. Top-15 d-man in the NHL during his time here. Top-5 in points for an NHL d-man during his time with the Jets.
Wheeler - easy yes. Top 2-10 right winger in the NHL during his time in Winnipeg. One of the best playmakers in the NHL. Two top-10 point finishes in the NHL. Four top-10 assist finishes. 2nd team all star. 13 years in Winnipeg by the time his contract has expired.
Scheifele - easy yes. First draft pick for Jets 2.0. Likely be the Jets career leader in goals, assists, points, games played by the end of his career. Top-10 centre in the NHL the past 5 years. Two seasons top-10 point finishes.
Connor - leaning towards yes. Looks to be one of the best goal scorers in the NHL for years to come. Will likely have played at least 10 years for the Jets when his contract expires. Two top-10 goal scoring finishes already.
Ehlers - leaning towards yes. Looks to be developing into a top-10 left winger in the NHL. Can see several top-20 point finishes in the NHL. Will have played 10 seasons with Jets when contract expires.
Morrissey - maybe - First 3 seasons he was progressing nicely and looked and appeared to have potential to be a top-20 d-man in the NHL. Last two seasons has displayed regression. If he can return to form and have a long career in Winnipeg, I can see induction.
Ladd - maybe - first captain of Jets 2.0 and a vocal supporter of the team in the city. Briefly flirted with top -10 winger in the league status. Only with the team 5 years though. Experienced severe regression after hernia surgery. We know the rest when he signed with the Islanders.
Little - maybe - our first line centre for almost 5 years. Good two-way player who produced decent but nor great first line offence. Probably a top-20-25 centre at his peak with the Jets. Beset by injuries in recent years which has hampered his production. 10 years with the Jets if you include this year.
Enstrom - leaning towards no - 6 years with the Jets. Came to the organization as a top 10-15 d-man in the league...poor man's Lidstrom we were told. Good contributions at both ends of the ice the first few seasons here, but the offense dried up. Continued to be a under-appreciated player in his own zone though. Did have a tendency to get pushed around by larger opponents. Divisive player among the fanbase.
Pavelec - NO - played 6 seasons with Jets 2.0. Had that half a good season in 2014-15. Played lots of games. That's all I got.

I agree with all of these. It really is a question of where they set the bar. Ab McDonald is in and he only played 2 seasons for the WHA Jets. He was the first captain though. Ladd was the first captain of the new Jets and he played longer and was more productive than Ab, so you would have to think if thats where the bar is, Ladd would go in eventually. The question of the height of the bar does beg the question though if we should be putting all of these numbers in the rafters or maybe honor them in a different way, perhaps with a physical Jets Hall of Fame section in Bell MTS Place that you could go visit between periods. The rafters will begin to get pretty cluttered if they put in one or two players every year.

EDIT: Also, I don't believe any of the numbers hanging in the rafters are technically "retired" by the club. They look more to just be "Honored" players. Perhaps they would actually start retiring numbers when they start to put in players from the 2.0 franchise.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What about Housley. Whit out him Teemu doesn’t score 76.
Teemu set the rookie record.
Does he go in because of it because he pretty much only averaged a point per game after his first season?
Serious question.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
From Jets 2.0, maybe Hainsey, that is about all.

Seriously, at this point only Scheifele is anywhere close due to being the teams first draft pick and him ending up being the face of the franchise but ask again in 2035.

Reactions: RabidOne

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

2023 - Keith Tkachuk

2025 - Dustin Byfuglien

2027 - Blake Wheeler

Selanne (yes) will definitely be the next player inducted into the Jets Hall of Fame. He was a true ambassador to the city, set a rookie goals record that will never be broken, and was perhaps the most beloved Jets player ever.

Numminen (yes) played 8 seasons as a Jet, and was one of our top defensemen of the Jets 1.0 years. He stuck with the Jets until the end, and has a distinguished NHL career

Byfuglien (yes) has been the most beloved Jets 2.0 player, and managed to be an integral player for 8 seasons. He was a game changer, and when he turned it on, he was the most impactful and feared Jets player.

Wheeler (yes) has been with the Jets from 2011, and even if he has not retired, has been the Jets best captain of the 2.0 years, and an impact player throught the decade. Although his induction is a long ways away.

Tkachuk and Zhamnov (no) will never be inducted into the Jets Hall of Fame, as they did not play for the Jets long enough, and unlike Selanne, never were ambassadors for the team. Tkachuk has some black marks against him, notable the contract holdout and the incident with the flipped over vehicle. Zhamnov was a good player, but only played from 1992-96, and was never the best Jets player. Ladd the first 2.0 captain, but was nothing special.

Little and Ladd (maybe) may have an outside chance of being inducted into the Jets Hall of Fame, but it will not be anytime soon. Ladd may be inducted due to being the first captain of the Jets 2.0 team.

Other players (current or former) that may be considered for induction down the road: Schelfele, Enstrom, Hellebuyck, Ehlers, Joe Daley, Bob Essensa, Dave Ellett, Doug Smail (?).

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Teemu set the rookie record.
Does he go in because of it because he pretty much only averaged a point per game after his first season?
Serious question.

I would think Selanne would go in automatically, because of his off ice persona, being an unofficial ambassador for the city, and the most beloved man to ever put on a Jets uniform. If Ab McDonald can be in the Jets Hall of Fame for playing with the team for the first two seasons as a local Winnipegger, one would think Selanne is a lock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad