Predictions for 2018-19 Season

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Well let me be very clear... I’m not a homer. I’m not a Pom Pom cheer leader. I’m not a “John Garret” Canucks fan (no offence John). I am first and foremost a hockey fan. I have watched hockey, much like all of you have, for 35 years.

I borrowed the format from OEL for Norris. I would +/- goals by 3, +/- assists by 5, +/- points by 10.

I see this season as the first of that next era we’ve been waiting for since 2013 and losing in 4 straight to SJ.

Before I get into predictions a couple things... I can’t fathom this team being as injured as they have the last 3 seasons. In almost everything I’ve read, injuries are now an accepted prediction. So and so will miss 30 games, and I’m talking main roster guys.

PC, I respect your insights greatly! I pondered over what you said. I disagree about Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, Juolevi. If they show they can play at the NHL level, they will move vets. I believe this.

So my predictions are based on 3 assumptions, which are realistic. Less injuries, 4 rookies, and the most importantly they are in a declining division! LA, Anaheim, Edm, Cgy, even SJ. The gap has closed.

Baertschi (21G 34A 55Pts 80Gp), Horvat (27G 43A 70Pts 82Gp), Boeser (36G 39A 75Pts 82Gp)
First line totals: 84G, 200Pts
Eriksson (21G 23A 44Pts 78Gp), Pettersson (26G 47A 83Pts 79 GP Calder candidate), Dahlen (18G 21A 39Pts 75Gp)
2nd line totals: 65G 166Pts
Roussel (12G 13A 25Pts 75Gp), Sutter (12G 12A 24Pts 80Gp), Virtanen (18G 17A 35Pts 78Gp)
3rd line totals: 42G 74Pts
Schaller, (5G 6A 11Pts 68Gp) , Beagle (8G 13A 21Pts 70Gp), Grandlund (7G 10A 17Pts 67Gp)
4th line totals: 20G 49Pts
Leipsic (7G 12A 19Pts 24 GP Utica bound) Gaudette (5G 7A 12Pts 17GP starts in Utica plays full time by years end)

1st line was playing number 1 d’s for 30 games last season, so I have zero concerns here. Boeser may honestly have the best writer in the game, behind just Ovi and Laine. Horvat is always getting better, and Baer will have a relatively injury free season, driving the Canucks.

2nd line: new Swedish line. Alien makes Ericksson feel & look young again, while Dahlen steals a spot pushing Gagne, Goldobin off the roster and into a trade.

3rd line: solid 3rd line which can be used in multiple situations
4th line: better than Motte, and the other crap we’ve had which should reduce the GA

(I think OEL for Norris predictions are pretty good tbh... but I think with Edler...)

Edler, (3G 21A 24Pts 55Gp, demoted to 2nd line PP, major injury) Stecher (12G 25A 37Pts 78Gp 1st line PP breakout year)
Juolevi (5G 17A 22Pts 67Gp 2nd line PP)
Pouliot, (3G 16A 19Pts 47Gp battles with Hutton for this spot) Tanev (1G 22A 23Pts 65GP 65 games is a win)
Del zotto, (5G 14A 19Pts 60Gp his decline will force coaching move and possible trade)
Gudbranson (5G 13A 18pts 77Gp shows better with injuries behind him)
Hutton (7G 17A 24Pts 57Gp re-establishes himself as an everyday d man by 1/3rd Mark)
Hughes (3G 13A 16Pts 9Gp comes up with 9 games after NCAA season, and rips it up making the PP a monster

Def totals: 44G which is far better than last season. Boeser and Pettersson will on the pp make the def look better. Hughes late season makes a huge difference.

I lumped shoot out and otl into losses
Markstrom - 32Gp (29 started) 19W 29L 0.905SV% 2.27GGA 2SO
Nilsson - 21GP (18 started) 10W 11L 0.910SV% 2.55GAA 1SO
Demko - 31GP (29 started) 21W 10L 0.919SV% 1.98GAA 3SO
So I know it is 79 starts total, between them, but I strongly feel by 2/3 mark injuries to both Markstrom and Nillsson will force Demko to play, and he doesn’t let go of the reigns.

Overall the Canucks score total: 262 goals, 227 against, a modest +35

Here’s the thing... the Canucks might have lost 140 points, but they also lost (and I love the Sedins) 3 combined -60 players! Minus 21, 27, and 12 respectively. Yes that’s right MINUS 60. That is the difference combined with injuries that will see this swing in goals against vs goals for.

Folks I love the twins, but the last 2 seasons they were atrocious defensively and easy to be scored on. That is gone. Young hungry players that played in a defensive league the SHL will make up a huge chunk of that minus 60 along with a bottom 6 that is way better than the last 3 seasons of Megna

Prediction: 43 wins 32 losses, 5 otl, 2 SOL, 93Pts, 7th in conference, playoffs 5/6 game loss to Vegas in round 1

They cannot be as injured. They will be harder to score against. Demko is ready. Pettersson/Dahlen/Ericksson will be the talk of the “depth” of the Canucks, but Hughes will help them in a late surge to win 7 of 9 pushing them into the playoffs.

And all you’ll hear from from anyone is “who saw this coming”.

And if I’m wrong I’m wrong. But I won’t be on this one.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I thoroughly enjoy the predictions where Demko steps into the NHL and immediately puts up Vezina like W/L and GAA numbers but only a mediocre sv%. What happens on those nights, does the other team rest all of their top players?

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I thoroughly enjoy the predictions where Demko steps into the NHL and immediately puts up Vezina like W/L and GAA numbers but only a mediocre sv%. What happens on those nights, does the other team rest all of their top players?

I thoroughly enjoy the Pettersson predictions. I'm sure he'll be gifted a spot but he won't last long...he'll spend most of the season in the AHL

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
A number of young guys will show well in camp but as usual it won't be relevant because the vets need to continue to eat up minutes and the younger players who excel will either be waived or start in Utica.

Forward group is in disarray, Boeser and Horvat might struggle to carrying degrees as they try to adjust to being the team's marked men, Virtanen might get stuck to Beagle's hip which will ultimately prevent him from replicating the useful role he had last season. Sutter being thrust into being a 2C playing 20+ minutes a game with heavier offensive zone usage could be a disaster, especially if Pettersson is held back by playing on his wing. And boring, stale vets like Granlund and Gagner will continue to inexplicably eat up big-ish minutes despite not being able to produce jackshit.

Bringing back the same defensemen and goalies as last year will play out the way we expect, the possibility of Tanev righting the ship goes out the window when he can't make it to November with a clean bill of health.

The team will once again struggle to prevent and generate goals and will likely have another bottom-dwelling season barring a few elite performances from handful of players while racking up a ton of loser points.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I think that Henrik's production will be mostly replaced by EP and Vanek and Daniel's goals will be offset by improvements from the young guys like Boeser,Horvat,Virtanen,Goldobin,Leipsic,and Granny and contributions from Roussel and Schaller.In the end we end up with around the same GF unless one of Boeser,Horvat,or EP loses significant time to injuries.

Defense is the same as last year but with Edler,Del Zotto,Pouliot,and Hutton all playing for new contracts and Gudbranson coming in healthy,I'd expect a slight improvement.We also have better depth this year with Juolevi in NA with a year of pro experience behind him and with a big step taken by Ashton Sautner,we have decent call up options if injuries hit.

Goaltending is the same but with Demko having a very good year in Utica last season and being close to NHL ready,he will likely be given a look if Nilsson struggles again in the backup role.I also think that Markstrom will continue to build on his strong finish last season and will establish himself as a bona fide #1 starter and our GA will be down from last season unless he gets injured then all bets are off.

I'm predicting a better goal differential due to fewer GA but a sub .500 record with around 80 points and landing at the #25 spot at the end of the year.Of course if one our top line guys misses significant time,we could easily drop a spot or two but we do have enough scoring depth that we won't bottom right out.

Last edited:

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I predict a bottom 3 finish, but I do foresee some bright spots.

Pettersson makes the team (no way we hang on to such dreck as Gagner over him) and notches between 50-60 points... the vast majority of them after Xmas.

Boeser cracks 40 goals, maybe even 50.

Virtanen takes the next step and scores 20 goals while being solid defensively and a pain in the ass to play against.

Demko has the #1 job by the end of the season.

Gagner is waived after training camp... becomes the #1 center all the Comets’ fans have been clamouring for.

On the other hand...

Due to missing time from his injury, Juolevi continues to disappoint and is traded away by seasons end.

Gaudette spends most of the year in Utica working on his skating.

Dahlen stays in Utica due to the numbers game.

Gaunce and Goldobin get waived, picked up by other teams and thrive in their new environments.

Most everyone else flatlines, gets injured or regresses.

Lack of scoring (beyond Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson)... fragile and uninspired defense ... and generally shakey and/or inexperienced goaltending sink our ship by mid-January.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Not going to go into as much detail as some but some general highlights that seem as probable for the upcoming season:

- Horvat takes another step forward and produces 25 goals and 65 pts, which will possibly be a career high.

- Boeser continues at a pace similar to last season but avoids another major injury. 33 goals and 68 pts to lead the team.

- Pettersson displays flashes of high end skill but finds the NHL game a big adjustment from the style played on the bigger SEL ice. Does most of his damage on the PP and goes into the summer intent on adding strength to his core, improving his skating. 22 goals 47 pts.

- Virtanen shows some flashes and scores his first ever NHL hat trick. Still lacks a real scorers touch and continues to both tantalize with the chances his speed generates and also frustrate with his crest sniping. 17 goals 30 pts.

- Dahlen and Gaudette have 50+ pt seasons in their AHL debuts and both get ~10 games in the NHL as injury call ups and impress in their stints, but are returned to Utica to continue their strong play their.

- Demko plays his final season in Utica and posts numbers similar to this past season. His AHL development plateaus and the team anoints him Markstrom’s backup next season.

- Lind, Juolevi, and Gadjovich struggle somewhat in their first AHL seasons with the faster, stronger pace of play. Nothing disastrous but some of the shine comes off their projections, esp Juolevi.

- Hughes dominates offensively at Michigan and in the WJC but shows some lazy habits as a result of his talent gap. Michigan plays late into the year but Hughes manages to sign and play the final 3 games of the Canucks season, putting up 4 pts and exciting Canuck fans for the coming season.

- The rest of the NHL team is a dogs breakfast and finishes with 63 pts in 30th place ahead of only Ottawa. However the lottery finally smiles on Vancouver as we win the #1OA pick and spend 2 months hyping up the Hughes bros vs Sedin bros comparisons.

Maybe a bit (or a lot) of wishful thinking at the end but overall this seems fairly reasonable at the moment. This upcoming year is the 1999 equivalent from the 1997-2001 rebuild. The darkest season but also the one from which the brightest pieces for the future should emerge.

Reactions: Jay Cee

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
My predictions is that by mid season once Granlund/Ganger flame as a centre for Eriksson and Petterson that Gaudette will be given the chance and his tenacity sparks the line into clicking.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Well let me be very clear... I’m not a homer. I’m not a Pom Pom cheer leader. I’m not a “John Garret” Canucks fan (no offence John). I am first and foremost a hockey fan. I have watched hockey, much like all of you have, for 35 years.

I borrowed the format from OEL for Norris. I would +/- goals by 3, +/- assists by 5, +/- points by 10.

I see this season as the first of that next era we’ve been waiting for since 2013 and losing in 4 straight to SJ.

Before I get into predictions a couple things... I can’t fathom this team being as injured as they have the last 3 seasons. In almost everything I’ve read, injuries are now an accepted prediction. So and so will miss 30 games, and I’m talking main roster guys.

PC, I respect your insights greatly! I pondered over what you said. I disagree about Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, Juolevi. If they show they can play at the NHL level, they will move vets. I believe this.

So my predictions are based on 3 assumptions, which are realistic. Less injuries, 4 rookies, and the most importantly they are in a declining division! LA, Anaheim, Edm, Cgy, even SJ. The gap has closed.

Baertschi (21G 34A 55Pts 80Gp), Horvat (27G 43A 70Pts 82Gp), Boeser (36G 39A 75Pts 82Gp)
Eriksson (21G 23A 44Pts 78Gp), Pettersson (26G 47A 83Pts 79 GP Calder candidate), Dahlen (18G 21A 39Pts 75Gp)
Roussel (12G 13A 25Pts 75Gp), Sutter (12G 12A 24Pts 80Gp), Virtanen (18G 17A 35Pts 78Gp)
Schaller, (5G 6A 11Pts 68Gp) , Beagle (8G 13A 21Pts 70Gp), Grandlund (7G 10A 17Pts 67Gp)
Leipsic (7G 12A 19Pts 24 GP Utica bound) Gaudette (5G 7A 12Pts 17GP starts in Utica plays full time by years end)

1st line was playing number 1 d’s for 30 games last season, so I have zero concerns here. Boeser may honestly have the best writer in the game, behind just Ovi and Laine. Horvat is always getting better, and Baer will have a relatively injury free season, driving the Canucks.

2nd line: new Swedish line. Alien makes Ericksson feel & look young again, while Dahlen steals a spot pushing Gagne, Goldobin off the roster and into a trade.

3rd line: solid 3rd line which can be used in multiple situations
4th line: better than Motte, and the other crap we’ve had which should reduce the GA

(I think OEL for Norris predictions are pretty good tbh... but I think with Edler...)

Edler, (3G 21A 24Pts 55Gp, demoted to 2nd line PP, major injury) Stecher (12G 25A 37Pts 78Gp 1st line PP breakout year)
Pouliot, (3G 16A 19Pts 47Gp battles with Hutton for this spot) Tanev (1G 22A 23Pts 65GP 65 games is a win)
Del zotto, (5G 14A 19Pts 60Gp his decline will force coaching move and possible trade)
Hutton (7G 17A 24Pts 57Gp re-establishes himself as an everyday d man by 1/3rd Mark)
Hughes (3G 13A 16Pts 9Gp comes up with 9 games after NCAA season, and rips it up making the PP a monster

Def totals: 44G which is far better than last season. Boeser and Pettersson will on the pp make the def look better. Hughes late season makes a huge difference.

I lumped shoot out and otl into losses
Markstrom - 32Gp (29 started) 19W 29L 0.905SV% 2.27GGA 2SO
Nilsson - 21GP (18 started) 10W 11L 0.910SV% 2.55GAA 1SO
Demko - 31GP (29 started) 21W 10L 0.919SV% 1.98GAA 3SO
So I know it is 79 starts total, between them, but I strongly feel by 2/3 mark injuries to both Markstrom and Nillsson will force Demko to play, and he doesn’t let go of the reigns.

Overall the Canucks score total: 262 goals, 227 against, a modest +35

Here’s the thing... the Canucks might have lost 140 points, but they also lost (and I love the Sedins) 3 combined -60 players! Minus 21, 27, and 12 respectively. Yes that’s right MINUS 60. That is the difference combined with injuries that will see this swing in goals against vs goals for.

Folks I love the twins, but the last 2 seasons they were atrocious defensively and easy to be scored on. That is gone. Young hungry players that played in a defensive league the SHL will make up a huge chunk of that minus 60 along with a bottom 6 that is way better than the last 3 seasons of Megna

Prediction: 43 wins 32 losses, 5 otl, 2 SOL, 93Pts, 7th in conference, playoffs 5/6 game loss to Vegas in round 1

They cannot be as injured. They will be harder to score against. Demko is ready. Pettersson/Dahlen/Ericksson will be the talk of the “depth” of the Canucks, but Hughes will help them in a late surge to win 7 of 9 pushing them into the playoffs.

I am lazy to do the math but Markstrom and Demko GA and SP works out to no more than 25 shots a game. For sure Canucks are going to give up more than 25 shots.

Don't think Stecher is capable of getting 12 G 25 A 37 P even on 1st pp unit. Last 4 coaches AV Torts Willy and Green have all used Edler on the 1st unit. Don't think that will change until Hughes gets here and Boeser is on the other point.

I think Baer will find a way to say healthy as well.

Gudbranson will not get 18 points. Stecher and Hutton might not even get 18 points.

With all the injuries I think Gaudette will play a lot more than 17 games. I think he will end up playing at least 50 to 60 games.

Don't think Leipsic will make it to Utica. He won't clear waivers.

Reactions: theoriginalBCF

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I've predicted elsewhere that the Canucks won't manage to acquire any extra picks in rounds one through three of the draft. I'm interested in what others think.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I've predicted elsewhere that the Canucks won't manage to acquire any extra picks in rounds one through three of the draft. I'm interested in what others think.

It seems like betting whether or not water is wet and whether it could get a little drier lol.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
A plethora of injuries, bottom 3 finish and this time the Canucks win the lottery......

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
I think Virtanen comes to camp flying and dominates, perhaps even as an all around player. From what I saw last year, he didn't seem to be a defensive liability and I think it was an area Green really worked with him on in Utica so it wouldn't surprise me if gets both some top 6 and pk time at least early on. Doubt that he ever justifies where he was drafted but if he scores 20 or so and cranks it up in the playoffs when they ultimately get there, I can live with it.

Reactions: theoriginalBCF

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
I am lazy to do the math but Markstrom and Demko GA and SP works out to no more than 25 shots a game. For sure Canucks are going to give up more than 25 shots.

Don't think Stecher is capable of getting 12 G 25 A 37 P even on 1st pp unit. Last 4 coaches AV Torts Willy and Green have all used Edler on the 1st unit. Don't think that will change until Hughes gets here and Boeser is on the other point.

I think Baer will find a way to say healthy as well.

Gudbranson will not get 18 points. Stecher and Hutton might not even get 18 points.

With all the injuries I think Gaudette will play a lot more than 17 games. I think he will end up playing at least 50 to 60 games.

Don't think Leipsic will make it to Utica. He won't clear waivers.
Yeah I def have some holes for sure... I’ll have to refine. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
  • Boeser plays between 45-65 games
  • Tanev plays between 25-55 games
  • Pettersson makes the team out of camp, but Green deploys him too conservatively and his rookie numbers are modest but promising
  • Lepisic becomes Green's Linden Vey
  • Goldobin and Hutton are gone by the All-Star break
  • Gaudette and Dahlén both play the majority of the year in Utica
  • Beagle gets way too much ice time
  • Virtanen hits a career high in points. The total is still very modest, but some people celebrate this vocally as though he has emerged

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
  • Boeser plays between 45-65 games
  • Tanev plays between 25-55 games
  • Pettersson makes the team out of camp, but Green deploys him too conservatively and his rookie numbers are modest but promising
  • Lepisic becomes Green's Linden Vey
  • Goldobin and Hutton are gone by the All-Star break
  • Gaudette and Dahlén both play the majority of the year in Utica
  • Beagle gets way too much ice time
  • Virtanen hits a career high in points. The total is still very modest, but some people celebrate this vocally as though he has emerged

"Gaudette and Dahlén both play the majority of the year in Utica"

Utica fans wouldn't be disappointed in this prediction.

Where do you see Juolevi?

Does Boucher clear waivers?

Who do you see the Canucks trying to waive besides Boucher, Archibald, Kero, Sautner, and McEneny? I think Boucher is the only threat in that group. It's still not enough with all their contracted guys and Pettersson making the roster.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The mid-summer prognosticators have already weighed in on the Western Conference and every one of them has the Canucks dead-last, 15th overall. And ahead of only the Senators in the Eastern Conference. So that's 30th overall at best. Only question is how soon the "Jack Hughes" watch is on.

Same blueline; same goaltending; minus the Sedins and Vanek...team couldn't score last year (26th overall)....so who's going to score this year?.....only mild interest is how the kids fare, Pettersson and maybe Gaudette and Dahlen....and whether Boeser can build on his rookie season. But that's about it.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The mid-summer prognosticators have already weighed in on the Western Conference and every one of them has the Canucks dead-last, 15th overall. And ahead of only the Senators in the Eastern Conference. So that's 30th overall at best. Only question is how soon the "Jack Hughes" watch is on.

Same blueline; same goaltending; minus the Sedins and Vanek...team couldn't score last year (26th overall)....so who's going to score this year?.....only mild interest is how the kids fare, Pettersson and maybe Gaudette and Dahlen....and whether Boeser can build on his rookie season. But that's about it.

They obviously forgot that Thatcher Demko will come in and have the impact of 3 Connor McDavids.

Ignoramuses.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Training Camp / Opening day roster:
The signing of Beagle and Rousell and the lack of changes on D indicate that the Canucks are not prepared to lose with youth but are not good enough to win with experience or youth. They are prepared to have Pettersson make the team and are hopeful that Juolevi will as well, but have pretty much setup a competition between Goldobin / Leipsic on the wing and Gagner / Granlund as utility forwards. It is very clear that they plan to play Pettersson with Sutter and Eriksson. Dahlen and Gaudette will have to be mind blowingly good to force their way into the lineup and then it will be at the expense of Goldobin and leipsic. The D will be mostly unchanged from last year. They have been trying to move Ben Hutton, but so far there have been no takers. There will be an open competition for the backup goalie position between Demko and Nilsson - too hard to call at this point.

I think Gaudette, Dahen and Juolevi have the best chance of having impactful enough pre-seasons to force roster moves. I don't think Gadjovich or Lind are quite ready to challenge for a roster spot yet. Juolevi has the best opportunity - but since he is waiver exempt, even if he could start in Utica while they try to trade Hutton or Del Zotto to make space for him.

No sense posting a lineup - everyone knows what it will look like.

Season performance:
Offensively, the Canucks scored only 218 goals last year. This is not surprising since Horvat, Boeser and Baertschi missed 18, 20 and 29 games respectively, Vanek was moved at the TDL, Henrik's production dropped off the charts and Eriksson's bounce back season landed with a thud. We also got only 21 goals from our entire D.

This season, Horvat and Boeser are going to be expected to carry the offense without the Sedins, but with no other offensive support (Eriksson, Sutter and Pettersson - 2nd line) they are going to face intense checking every night. I know Benning and Green are hoping that Pettersson can reignite some kind of offensive rennaissance in Eriksson, but I think Eriksson is done as an offensive player and at any rate, with Sutter at C, it is unlikely. If Horvat, Boeser and Baertschi are healthy for the full season, they should make up for some of the loss of Daniel and Vanek, but realistically, to improve on last seasons 218 goals, Pettersson is going to have to have a Calder season and guys like Eriksson, Goldobin, Gagner, Granlund and Virtanen are going to have to pick it up a lot. We will also need better than 21 goals from our D.

The D was bad last year and is virtually unchanged. They gave up 259 goals (26th ranked) but were decimated by injuries (only Pouliot and Del Zotto played more than 70 games). This could improve if Tanev and Edler are healthy and Stecher and Hutton rebound from poor seasons. One of the keys will be moving Edler off of the first unit PP - while he lead the D in points with 34 (and 6 goals) I think if we are going with Newell Brown's perferred 4 forward set, Stecher would be a better option on the point. Tanev is not going to contribute much offensively, but if healthy he could make a big dent in the goals and shots against. I think Stecher is capable of far more. By the end of the season, either through injuries or merrit, Juolevi will be playing full time.

In 2017-18, the goal tending was mediocre and inconsistent last year. The plan appearred to be to let Markstom and Nilsson compete in a 1/1A situation, but Markstom struggled early with bad goals from impossible angles. Nilsson was hot early on, but got very little offensive support when he started and Markstrom still got the majority of the starts. From the new year on however Nilsson was horrible and Markstrom steadily improved. Nilsson showed real poise at the World Championships but will have to compete with Demko for the backup position.

Trade Deadline
Gagner and Hutton are almost certain to be moved at the TDL, however once again, Benning will get very little value for them. But they will make space for Gaudette and Quinn Hughes (if his season ends in time) as late season roster additions.

Standings:
I think only Detroit and Arizona will finish below us in the standing. We will lose the draft lottery and end up picking 5th.
I’d be good with that. I love Cozens and Dach

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

You predict that our top line score over a goal per game and more than the McDavid line from last year. And you think Hughes will score nearly 2 points per game as a rookie stepping into one of the worse roster in the league? I don't think even John Garret will go that far! I'm pretty sure you are wrong on this one.

Its too early for me to do individual predictions as the lines aren't settled (I know what I would do, but I don't know what Green would do yet).
For team prediction, I think bottom 5 in GF, bottom 10 in GA, middle of the league in PP (the Sedins became too predictable, a Horvat/Boeser led PP with Petterson on the 2nd unit should do better), middle in PK (Beagle will definitely help here), bottom 5 SV%. Overall a bottom 5 team that may finish anywhere from 22nd in the league to dead last, depending on injuries/Boeser's recovery/Petterson's impact.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

If we have a season where every rookie has a phenomenal season, every player under 27 hits a career-high, and every player over 27 has a "typical" season with nobody having an off-year and 11 players playing 75+ games it will indeed be something to talk about.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Some positives that could potentially come out of the season would be Elias Pettersson being in a Calder race, Boeser building on his production last season and potentially a breakout season for Virtanen. Also there is a good chance that Juolevi makes his debut and has a decent rookie campaign. With these improvements, if Bo, Baertschi, Tanev, Edler and Markstrom all have really strong season and maybe one of Stecher, Hutton, Del Zotto or Pouliot step up and make a statement, the Canucks could do better than expected - as in bottom 10 rather than bottom 5.

Offsetting these, Eriksson could be healthy yet continue to decline. I don't think anyone should count on Edler waiving his NTC for the TDL. If Granlund / Gagner have bounce back seasons it probably means serious injuries in the Top 6. Every team has to deal with injuries, but they are worst for teams with less depth - like the Canucks. Markstrom made strides last year, but is certainly not a top 10 goalie. I think Demko needs to play in the NHL, but he be given the chance? We are also likely to lose someone to waivers - Goldobin, Leipsic, Boucher, Gaunce, ...

Boeser breaking out is far from a sure thing. Last year his production was PP heavy and the PP was good (21.4%). If the PP regresses it will likely hurt Boeser. At ES teams are going to focus on him as the main source of offence. His main option for a "breakout" is staying healthy for another 20 games.

Pettersson could hit 60+. As he goes so goes the Canucks, though hitting 60 is just replacing one Sedin.

The biggest boost would be Nilsson not epicly sucking, that's worth 10+ goals and likely to have as much effect as anyone else.

Last edited:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks should be a fast young team. The top six looks very promising. The bottom six, ignoring salaries, should be effective. Green has reliable vets to do the hard stuff and a face-off specialist.

The defense is projected to be the same guys with more experience. They will also have faster forwards to work with, which, IMO, is a major factor. Again, the veteran bottom six will be diligent and able defensively, a boon for the defensemen.

Markstrom is aggressive. He is fearless in traffic. I think he would be the right guy for playoffs. If Canucks become a team that battles they need Markstrom's intensity, if he can keep it together. A veteran back-up would have been a nice add this Summer.

They changed goaltending coaches, I hope the new guy is up to it. The top three guys on the depth chart do not seem totally ready. Nilsson and Demko do not have a lot of NHL games. That's a lot of pressure, especially with a streaky starter. I don't think it's enough depth. If Markstrom missed ten games Nilsson would have to play all ten. On bad nights he'll be peppered unless they throw Demko in. That's not really sheltering the rookie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad