Predictions for 2018-19 Season

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Training Camp / Opening day roster:
The signing of Beagle and Rousell and the lack of changes on D indicate that the Canucks are not prepared to lose with youth but are not good enough to win with experience or youth. They are prepared to have Pettersson make the team and are hopeful that Juolevi will as well, but have pretty much setup a competition between Goldobin / Leipsic on the wing and Gagner / Granlund as utility forwards. It is very clear that they plan to play Pettersson with Sutter and Eriksson. Dahlen and Gaudette will have to be mind blowingly good to force their way into the lineup and then it will be at the expense of Goldobin and leipsic. The D will be mostly unchanged from last year. They have been trying to move Ben Hutton, but so far there have been no takers. There will be an open competition for the backup goalie position between Demko and Nilsson - too hard to call at this point.

I think Gaudette, Dahen and Juolevi have the best chance of having impactful enough pre-seasons to force roster moves. I don't think Gadjovich or Lind are quite ready to challenge for a roster spot yet. Juolevi has the best opportunity - but since he is waiver exempt, even if he could start in Utica while they try to trade Hutton or Del Zotto to make space for him.

No sense posting a lineup - everyone knows what it will look like.

Season performance:
Offensively, the Canucks scored only 218 goals last year. This is not surprising since Horvat, Boeser and Baertschi missed 18, 20 and 29 games respectively, Vanek was moved at the TDL, Henrik's production dropped off the charts and Eriksson's bounce back season landed with a thud. We also got only 21 goals from our entire D.

This season, Horvat and Boeser are going to be expected to carry the offense without the Sedins, but with no other offensive support (Eriksson, Sutter and Pettersson - 2nd line) they are going to face intense checking every night. I know Benning and Green are hoping that Pettersson can reignite some kind of offensive rennaissance in Eriksson, but I think Eriksson is done as an offensive player and at any rate, with Sutter at C, it is unlikely. If Horvat, Boeser and Baertschi are healthy for the full season, they should make up for some of the loss of Daniel and Vanek, but realistically, to improve on last seasons 218 goals, Pettersson is going to have to have a Calder season and guys like Eriksson, Goldobin, Gagner, Granlund and Virtanen are going to have to pick it up a lot. We will also need better than 21 goals from our D.

The D was bad last year and is virtually unchanged. They gave up 259 goals (26th ranked) but were decimated by injuries (only Pouliot and Del Zotto played more than 70 games). This could improve if Tanev and Edler are healthy and Stecher and Hutton rebound from poor seasons. One of the keys will be moving Edler off of the first unit PP - while he lead the D in points with 34 (and 6 goals) I think if we are going with Newell Brown's perferred 4 forward set, Stecher would be a better option on the point. Tanev is not going to contribute much offensively, but if healthy he could make a big dent in the goals and shots against. I think Stecher is capable of far more. By the end of the season, either through injuries or merrit, Juolevi will be playing full time.

In 2017-18, the goal tending was mediocre and inconsistent last year. The plan appearred to be to let Markstom and Nilsson compete in a 1/1A situation, but Markstom struggled early with bad goals from impossible angles. Nilsson was hot early on, but got very little offensive support when he started and Markstrom still got the majority of the starts. From the new year on however Nilsson was horrible and Markstrom steadily improved. Nilsson showed real poise at the World Championships but will have to compete with Demko for the backup position.

Trade Deadline
Gagner and Hutton are almost certain to be moved at the TDL, however once again, Benning will get very little value for them. But they will make space for Gaudette and Quinn Hughes (if his season ends in time) as late season roster additions.

Standings:
I think only Detroit and Arizona will finish below us in the standing. We will lose the draft lottery and end up picking 5th.

Reactions: sting101

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Ideally for this year AND the future our lineup with whats available should be:

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Goldy Gaudette PBP
Lipesic Sutter Virtanen
Rousell Beagle Eriksson
Gaunce Schaller

Edler Tanev
Hutton Stecher
Del Zotto Gudbranson
Poo

Marky
Demmer

Trade Granny Gagner and Nielsson

Reactions: pomorick

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC

Feel as though I am looking at some twisted version of Boggle.

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Goldy Gaudette PBP
Lipesic Sutter Virtanen
Rousell Beagle Eriksson
Gaunce Schaller

Edler Tanev
Hutton Stecher
Del Zotto Gudbranson
Poo

Marky
Demmer

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Amazingly, the 218 goals we got last year was our highest total in 3 years, and an improvement of 40 over 16-17. The 21 goals from the D is in line with the season before (22) and the season before that (23.) Expecting anything different wouldn't make much sense.

My guesses:

For = 200
Allowed = 260
Points = 69

Finish: Probably 2nd or 3rd last, win a lottery spot and have everyone congratulate each other on another job well done.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
For fun, I developed a very simple projection system for goals, using the last 3 seasons, adjusting for age, and regression towards the mean.

Here is how some of our players came out:

Brock Boeser 36
Bo Horvat 24
Sven Baertschi 18
Nikolay Goldobin 17
Markus Granlund 14
Brandon Sutter 12
Loui Eriksson 11
Jake Virtanen 11
Brendan Leipsic 11
Sam Gagner 10
Tim Schaller 9
Antoine Roussel 8
Jay Beagle 7
-----------------
Alex Edler 6
Michael Del Zotto 6
Derrick Pouliot 4
Chris Tanev 3
Erik Gudbranson 3
Troy Stecher 3
Ben Hutton 3
------------------

Nothing too shocking, just to put some math behind what most of us probably would have guessed.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Predictions:

--Another year, another tedious slog through an uninspired season to an early elimination from the playoff race. "Let's give the Sedins a good sendoff!" is a more potent rallying cry than: "Let's just not suck generally!" Bottom five finish. The team is in projected playoff position for exactly zero days from November on. The offensive production is at or very near record lows.

--Gaudette, Pettersson, Demko and probably Dahlen all shine at training camp, but none make the team over returning or recently signed vets. Juolevi underwhelms, is sent to Utica. Is unimpressive in injury callups.

--Boeser/Horvat line struggles under pressure of being the only real scoring line on the team. Sutter starts the year as 2nd line C, is back to 3rd by November. Goldobin and Leipsic busted their asses to make the team out of preseason, but both are flagging by game 25. Leipsic has no offence, Goldobin has no defense. In news that surprises exactly one person, Beagle and Roussel do not have more impact on the Canucks than Tavares does on the Leafs.

--D and G continue to flounder. Pouliot continues to get first call on the PP and gets points, but is equally clueless in his own zone. Again. Edler and Tanev are easily our best dmen, but both continue to struggle with injuries. Again. Stecher and Biega try gamely to keep up, MDZ and Gudbranson are going through the motions, and Hutton is either lost on waivers or traded for nobody of significance.

--Benning and Weisbrod find themselves under increasing scrutiny from fans and the media as attendance continues to flag and demand for tickets sinks lower, however no attempts are made to make serious alterations to the team. The few transactions made are minor deals around the periphery of the team. No draft picks over round 5 are acquired.

--After the season, the list of super-awesome, can't-possibly-fail-to-be-superstars in the prospect pool rotates some names out from the 2016 and 2017 draft years for the new players taken 2019. The usual suspects remain unshakable in their conviction that in just a few more seasons, the team will rise from the basement.

Again.

And it won't.

Again.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Goldy Gaudette PBP
Lipesic Sutter Virtanen
Rousell Beagle Eriksson
Gaunce Schaller

Edler Tanev
Hutton Stecher
Del Zotto Gudbranson
Poo

Marky
Demmer

Last edited:

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
For fun, I developed a very simple projection system for goals, using the last 3 seasons, adjusting for age, and regression towards the mean.

Here is how some of our players came out:

Brock Boeser 36
Bo Horvat 24
Sven Baertschi 18
Nikolay Goldobin 17
Markus Granlund 14
Brandon Sutter 12
Loui Eriksson 11
Jake Virtanen 11
Brendan Leipsic 11
Sam Gagner 10
Tim Schaller 9
Antoine Roussel 8
Jay Beagle 7
-----------------
Alex Edler 6
Michael Del Zotto 6
Derrick Pouliot 4
Chris Tanev 3
Erik Gudbranson 3
Troy Stecher 3
Ben Hutton 3
------------------

Nothing too shocking, just to put some math behind what most of us probably would have guessed.
Thanks for putting this together Melvin. Puts some reality behind some of our unrealistic hopes for some of the guys (myself included no doubt lol). I still have hope Virtanen will lighter up this year and i have a feeling Goldy boy Golderson will as well. Could be wrong, and probably all signs pointing to me being TOO hopeful there but we will see. Also looks like more goals from our blueline with THOSE projections too. Again, we will see :)

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Predictions:

--Another year, another tedious slog through an uninspired season to an early elimination from the playoff race. "Let's give the Sedins a good sendoff!" is a more potent rallying cry than: "Let's just not suck generally!" Bottom five finish. The team is in projected playoff position for exactly zero days from November on. The offensive production is at or very near record lows.

--Gaudette, Pettersson, Demko and probably Dahlen all shine at training camp, but none make the team over returning or recently signed vets. Juolevi underwhelms, is sent to Utica. Is unimpressive in injury callups.

--Boeser/Horvat line struggles under pressure of being the only real scoring line on the team. Sutter starts the year as 2nd line C, is back to 3rd by November. Goldobin and Leipsic busted their asses to make the team out of preseason, but both are flagging by game 25. Leipsic has no offence, Goldobin has no defense. In news that surprises exactly one person, Beagle and Roussel do not have more impact on the Canucks than Tavares does on the Leafs.

--D and G continue to flounder. Pouliot continues to get first call on the PP and gets points, but is equally clueless in his own zone. Again. Edler and Tanev are easily our best dmen, but both continue to struggle with injuries. Again. Stecher and Biega try gamely to keep up, MDZ and Gudbranson are going through the motions, and Hutton is either lost on waivers or traded for nobody of significance.

--Benning and Weisbrod find themselves under increasing scrutiny from fans and the media as attendance continues to flag and demand for tickets sinks lower, however no attempts are made to make serious alterations to the team. The few transactions made are minor deals around the periphery of the team. No draft picks over round 5 are acquired.

--After the season, the list of super-awesome, can't-possibly-fail-to-be-superstars in the prospect pool rotates some names out from the 2016 and 2017 draft years for the new players taken 2019. The usual suspects remain unshakable in their conviction that in just a few more seasons, the team will rise from the basement.

Again.

And it won't.

Again.
Brutally depressing feeling for what will happen. Just taking the worst possible situ for every possible player, line or take. Wow, you outdid your self here PC :shakehead

And NO i do not think the world is over type perspective you have here

Pettersson and Gaudette WILL be on the team you can guarantee that pal

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Predictions:

Again.

And it won't.

Again.

I don't see your predictions as unlikely, thought I think not all of them will hit.

If it unfolds exactly as you say, I don't think that'd be the worst thing. It's the accidental tank, once again.

It would be worse if the team ended up finishing, say, 20th. That would mean poorer draft picks. It would also mean an ownership and management group even more convinced that the rebuild is over and that all they have to do is add some more grit and character guys to support Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat as they lead the Canucks to contention.

Feb 24, 2017
E819F168-F286-4919-AB38-DAB495CDDFEF.gif

Reactions: Jay Cee and geebaan

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Brutally depressing feeling for what will happen. Just taking the worst possible situ for every possible player, line or take. Wow, you outdid your self here PC :shakehead

And NO i do not think the world is over type perspective you have here

Pettersson and Gaudette WILL be on the team you can guarantee that pal
That's nowhere near the worst possible situation. That's just assuming trends continue as they have in the past. Pro players who weren't good last year or the year before are more likely to continue to not be good rather than improve. Benning has shown a clear preference to veteran players over rookies, especially the ones he himself signed. He has also shown inordinate preference to the junk he think fits his "age gap" theory (ie: Granlund and Pouliot).

I don't think these are likely to change. I think Benning's become more secure in his vision, having been given the keys by Aqualini over Linden. And anyway, that's not the worst possible situation at all.

The worst possible situation is that Pettersson and Dahlen will leave for Sweden rather than report to Utica and just wait there until they're free agents. Horvat and Boeser can get major injuries. Gaudette can come down with a serious gambling addiction, Hughes can be outed as a closet necrophiliac, Juolevi can be caught trying to smuggle 55 endangered ferrets across the border in his pants and get arrested...lots of things are worse than what I posted. Players can hold out and demand trades or just f*** off like Tryamkin. They can be traded for junk like McCann.

I don't think Pettersson or Gaudette will be on the team to start the season because I can count. As in, the number of vet contracts up front. Pettersson and Gaudette got bumped from the opening night roster on July 1. They don't have to clear waivers. Sending them down over Granlund or Gaunce (who I doubt will be here at the end of the season one way or another) doesn't risk losing them for nothing. It doesn't force Benning to do something he sucks at: make a decent trade. Especially as every other GM in the league can see his lineup dilemma if he tries to keep everyone and give everyone icetime. He's just got too many bodies and yet somehow not enough actually good ones.

And anyway, I'm not pessimistic because I want to be. A low scoring team lost 140+ points of offensive production and replaced it with a $7.9 million fourth line. Thinking scoring will decrease under circumstances like that isn't being pessimistic for the sake of it.

Go dig up the predictions thread from last year and tell me how wrong I was. Go on. Tell me.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I wanna believe anything is possible, because an X factor for me is Demko somehow providing us with the goaltending that can win us some games, we could potentially be a playoff team if we have a really good power play. If Boeser, Pettersen make us a killer power play team then who knows
But then again positivity doesn’t go over well here so let’s just hate everything

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Some positives that could potentially come out of the season would be Elias Pettersson being in a Calder race, Boeser building on his production last season and potentially a breakout season for Virtanen. Also there is a good chance that Juolevi makes his debut and has a decent rookie campaign. With these improvements, if Bo, Baertschi, Tanev, Edler and Markstrom all have really strong season and maybe one of Stecher, Hutton, Del Zotto or Pouliot step up and make a statement, the Canucks could do better than expected - as in bottom 10 rather than bottom 5.

Offsetting these, Eriksson could be healthy yet continue to decline. I don't think anyone should count on Edler waiving his NTC for the TDL. If Granlund / Gagner have bounce back seasons it probably means serious injuries in the Top 6. Every team has to deal with injuries, but they are worst for teams with less depth - like the Canucks. Markstrom made strides last year, but is certainly not a top 10 goalie. I think Demko needs to play in the NHL, but he be given the chance? We are also likely to lose someone to waivers - Goldobin, Leipsic, Boucher, Gaunce, ...

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
I don't know boss. The other day you told me you think MDZ is better than Hutton. I don't know what to think!
Hopefully Hutton becomes better. But your right atm MDZ is better. Guess im just been too hopeful boss

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Projected line-ups/points projections/record predictions (My best guess as to what Green will do, but not what I want personally)

**Note** - These are the best case outcomes for this roster. It is very unlikely that they achieve the best outcome.

Baertschi (21G 26A 47Pts 76Gp), Horvat (33G 29A 62Pts 80Gp), Boeser (39G 33A 72Pts 81Gp)
Eriksson (14G 18A 32Pts 78Gp), Sutter (17G 14A 31Pts 79Gp), Pettersson (21G 36A 57Pts 80Gp)
Roussel (12G 13A 25Pts 75Gp), Beagle (8G 13A 21Pts 70Gp), Virtanen (14G 11A 25Pts 78Gp)
Schaller, (5G 6A 11Pts 68Gp) Granlund, (7G 5A 12Pts 66Gp), Gagner (10G 16A 26Pts 71Gp)
Leipsic

Edler
, (8G 33A 41Pts 75Gp) Stecher (3G 16A 19Pts 78Gp)
Pouliot, (3G 25A 28Pts 80Gp) Tanev (1G 22A 23Pts 78Gp)
Del zotto, (5G 14A 19Pts 78Gp) Gudbranson (1G 6A 7Pts 65Gp)
Hutton

Markstrom
- 65Gp (62 started) 26W 29L 4OTL 3SOL 0.910SV% 2.62GGA 2SO
Nilsson - 20Gp (16 started) 5W 8L 2OTL 1SOL 0.901SV% 2.88GGA 0SO
Demko - 7Gp (5 started) 2W 3L 0OTL 0SOL 0.906SV% 2.82GGA 0SO

PP1 - Boeser, Horvat, Eriksson, Pettersson, Edler
PP2 - Gagner, Sutter, Baertschi, Pouliot, Stecher

Canucks - 33W 40L 6OTL 4SOL 76Pts 208-229GF 249-258GA

Yikes

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
This team is in a lot of trouble. They are neck and neck with Carolina for worst goaltending tandem in the league. Way too many early deflating goals let in by Markstrom, while Nillson didn't look like he belonged in the NHL aside from a brief ray of optimism coming out of the world championships.

We don't really have a top pairing on D at all. Our first pairing would be a second pairing at best on most teams. We have a lot of 4-5-6-7-8 (on the depth chart of a playoff team) but no top end. However there have been no major changes as QH decided to go back to college.

Up front, we may have lost a rapidly declining Henrik, but I think Daniel could have potted 20 goals this year had he not retired. If Boeser stays healthy and gets a playmaking C, he could challenge for 50g.

Using league translation numbers posted here

Elias Petterson would have had 26 goals and 35 assists in 82 NHL games, and I only expect him to go up from there. Forecasting 60 points for EP may actually be a conservative guess.

I think our top 6 improves slightly overall, even if the Sedins are subtracted, because EP should be close to point per game and Boeser hasn't hit his ceiling yet. Baertschi as 1LW isn't ideal but we have 2/3rds of a top line and a #2 C and a spare in Sutter if EP can't handle 2C.

Our bottom 6 improves by playing guys like Beagle and Roussel rather than Motte. There are a few wild cards in Virtanen, Granlund and Gagner who all look to bounce back.

On thing that this team is lacking is leadership. Sure, Horvat could step in but he's not the focus of the franchise like the previous 3 captains.

My prediction: 59 points They will be battling the Sens for last overall all season.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Canucks miss the playoffs but do a lot better than most people expect.

I think our point total and overall standing will be similar to that of our 2007-2008 season.

Virtanen and Leipsic will have very good years. Boeser will have a sophomore slump. Roussell ends up being a pleasant surprise. Eriksson finds chemistry with Pettersson.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
- The same defence and goaltending group as last year will perform much the same as last year - below average.

- Overall the forward group will still struggle to score.

- Fully healthy, the team won't be too below league average, but with the regular dose of injuries they will be among the worst. Expect one or more of: Horvat, Boeser, Tanev, Edler, Sutter, Pettersson to miss significant time.

- Out of the playoff race by January, the team will still not trade enough veterans (Edler, etc.) to make the team uncompetitive enough to vie for a top lottery pick. By a small margin of points in the standings, the team will finish outside of the bottom 5 and end up with the something between the 6th to 10th lottery slot.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I simply don't know where the goals are going to come from.

This league should have no trouble keeping Horvat & Boeser in check now that their going to see the other teams best checking lines against them. It also could get interesting if Green goes power vs power and they go up again the leagues best. Sure hoping Horvat worked on the defensive side of things this summer.

Pettersson ain't going to save sh*t...your going to be shocked how non NHL ready he really is.

Bottom 6 will be too busy running around trying to keep the puck out of the net so no offense from them.

The defense is a complete train wreck and Benning didn't do a goddamn thing to fix it??? 0 offense from them and should bleed like a hemophiliac.

Behind that D we should get the same goaltending as we saw last year regardless of who's in net.

Injuries are a given and it will be all the usual suspects.

Benning's 4 year and 5 off season vision should be on full display this year :biglaugh:

Sub 60 point season and fighting for the 1st pick sounds about right.

Reactions: pomorick

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I will start the year saying I won’t spend a penny at the games (season ticket holder so that ship has sailed)but at some point beer will be required to make through the third period......

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Simple prediction.. we are considered a surprise team relative to performance.

Similar to how people were talking about us when we had just beat Carolona last yr 3-0 to move to 14-10-4 when Horvat when went down with injury.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
We are going to waive one or two worthwhile guys right off the hop with them maybe or maybe not getting claimed. Pre season performance for our young players is going to be mostly irrelevant because there is no room, besides guys already pencilled in the lineup (EP only?)

Barring elite seasons from our good young players we will be historically bad given that we are now without our 2nd 3rd and 5th top scorers from a terrible last year and replaced them with 4th liners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad