Prediction: Will Danault ever hit 60 points in a season?

Prediction: Will Danault ever hit 60 points in a season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I posted that it's a good thing that we have 2 centers like Danault and Suzuki.

You posted:
"best way to be somewhat competitive and never win anything, have a load of two way players and no game breakers! :thumbu:"

How can you possibly justify this post??? Just answer the question instead of moving goal posts. That was your original post. How can you justify it?
First of all having two centers like Danault and Suzuki is a good thing.
Secondly, we also have KK, Poehling, and Caufield in the system. Why are you whining about not having any game-breakers??
And what does having two good two-way centers have to do with having no game breakers??
Just ignore this clown. Either he can't speak english, his reading comprehension sucks or he's trolling. Not sure which one of those that is yet.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I posted that it's a good thing that we have 2 centers like Danault and Suzuki.

You posted:
"best way to be somewhat competitive and never win anything, have a load of two way players and no game breakers! :thumbu:"

How can you possibly justify this post??? Just answer the question instead of moving goal posts. That was your original post. How can you justify it?
First of all having two centers like Danault and Suzuki is a good thing.
Secondly, we also have KK, Poehling, and Caufield in the system. Why are you whining about not having any game-breakers??
And what does having two good two-way centers have to do with having no game breakers??
Yes, you also posted that the are/will be EXCELLENT both offensively and defensively... pretty clear your definition of excellence is in the 50 pts range (cause you know, one got 0 NHL pts and the other you named just had his best season at 50 something points).

not whining, I'm stating a fact, unless you want to prove me wrong by naming said game breaker ??

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Pleks made 5m per in the early days of the cap, iirc. 8.8% in 2010, about 7m in today's dollars.

I don't want danault to be our best center, but I think we'd be ok if he was our second or third best.
you trust CJ not to use him as a #1 C ?

given that he's experimenting with him on the PP... you know.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
you trust CJ not to use him as a #1 C ?

given that he's experimenting with him on the PP... you know.
Well ideally I'd like one of our kids to explode into a real 1c and not give cj the choice to put danault there...But if Danault can get 70+ with pp duty, I think that makes him a 1c, no?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yes, you also posted that the are/will be EXCELLENT both offensively and defensively... pretty clear your definition of excellence is in the 50 pts range (cause you know, one got 0 NHL pts and the other you named just had his best season at 50 something points).

not whining, I'm stating a fact, unless you want to prove me wrong by naming said game breaker ??

If you re-read the post,
The good news is our new #14 is looking like another true two-way player - excellent defensively and offensively. With Danault and Suzuki both as C's pretty soon, we'll have two very strong two way lines.

I was saying it looks like Suzuki will be like Plekanec - excellent offensively and deffensively. I didn't say Danault and his 50 points are excellent offensively. It's definitely debatable whether Pleks was excellent offensively. Fair enough. But most of us are hoping Suzuki is even better offensively. Suzuki's ceiling is definitely excellent offensively and defensively. Honestly, if Suzuki is as good as Pleks offensively, I will be disappointed. I hope he's able to be at least a 29 goal 69 point guy (Plekanec's highs) more consistently than Pleks.

As far as the game breakers. We have to hope 1 or more of Domi, Suzuki, KK, Poehling, Caufield, Romanov, etc.. along with Price can become game breakers. Before this season, would RoR be described as a game breaker? I don't think so. Sometimes an army of really good players can come through.

I do think this group could win a cup and I like going in a direction of building around them. And, I think having two centers like Danault and Suzuki will only help toward that goal of winning a cup. And I also

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Well ideally I'd like one of our kids to explode into a real 1c and not give cj the choice to put danault there...But if Danault can get 70+ with pp duty, I think that makes him a 1c, no?
well Suzie have been used mainly as a winger in camp, KK as a 3rd line C and Poe as a 4th liner... so I'd be VERY surprised if any of the 3 explode - as a C - (eventually maybe, but soon, nah)

you expect Danault's production to jump +/- 20 pts ??

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
well Suzie have been used mainly as a winger in camp, KK as a 3rd line C and Poe as a 4th liner... so I'd be VERY surprised if any of the 3 explode - as a C - (eventually maybe, but soon, nah)

you expect Danault's production to jump +/- 20 pts ??
No, but if it did I wouldn't complain

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
If you re-read the post,

I was saying it looks like Suzuki will be like Plekanec - excellent offensively and deffensively. I didn't say Danault and his 50 points are excellent offensively. It's definitely debatable whether Pleks was excellent offensively. Fair enough. But most of us are hoping Suzuki is even better offensively. Suzuki's ceiling is definitely excellent offensively and defensively. Honestly, if Suzuki is as good as Pleks offensively, I will be disappointed. I hope he's able to be at least a 29 goal 69 point guy (Plekanec's highs) more consistently than Pleks.

As far as the game breakers. We have to hope 1 or more of Domi, Suzuki, KK, Poehling, Caufield, Romanov, etc.. along with Price can become game breakers. Before this season, would RoR be described as a game breaker? I don't think so. Sometimes an army of really good players can come through.

I do think this group could win a cup and I like going in a direction of building around them. And, I think having two centers like Danault and Suzuki will only help toward that goal of winning a cup. And I also
aaaaaaah I see, you saw the Blues winning the cup, looked at the Habs roster and thought "no superstars and they won, Habs can win"...

sure, let's hope the Habs become the exception.

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
nope. he's incredibly underrated here. he's won me over. 67% in the dot vs 40% for everyone else. High IQ, great skater, great puck possession, great salary. i've grown to love this player - too bad many of you haven't

Like someone else said, he is a good player, but nothing special.
The original question being "will Shaw ever hit 60 points in a season".

My very bold prediction is that his peak will be one of three seasons: 2018/19, 2019/20 or 2020/21 at between 50 and 60 points. After, I hope he gets passed on the depth chart by Kotkaniemi and Poehling.

Love the guy, but would love to have him not shoulder a 1st or 2nd line burden

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
aaaaaaah I see, you saw the Blues winning the cup, looked at the Habs roster and thought "no superstars and they won, Habs can win"...

sure, let's hope the Habs become the exception.

no, I thought this before the Blues won the cup. When Domi, KK, Poehling, Romanov, Brook, Mete, Juulsen, etc... started to emerge. Getting Caufield, Struble, Norlinder, Fairbrother, etc.. and the emergence of Fleury was also a nice reinforcement. Very good drafting (like 2005-2007 which was the root of our 2 recent conference finals), combined with good vets like Gallagher, Tatar, Danault, Price, Weber, Petry.

My theory of why the drafting is back to 2005-2007 levels is because Timmins' strengths are dmen and skilled players - not so much size and centers. Poehling and KK will be the exceptions. But that's ok, because it looks like we have at least 5 or 6 good centers going forward (Domi, Danault, KK, Suzuki, Poehling, Evans).

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
same what said of Plekanec, reliable, can play with anyone, strong two way game, yada yada yada... just like CJ you love those type of players cause they're somewhat productive given the linemates and usage they had, but in the end, neither will be the #1C of a cup contending team...

Boston won the cup with 62 and 57 point centers. (DK’s totals prorate to about 67)

Plekanec had a few seasons that would have filled one of those roles - either one, depending on usage. He put up 69 / 70 with Kovy / Cammy; mid 50’s with lesser line mates when DD was driving the bus.

Meanwhile, Danault has shown that he can put up mid 50’s with top line mates. Yet to be seen if he can add 15+ to that, or do the same with secondary wingers.

Hopefully KK and Suzuki can fill those 2 roles. The #1 getting 70 with top wingers, and the #2 getting 55. Both reliable without need to be sheltered.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Boston won the cup with 62 and 57 point centers. (DK’s totals prorate to about 67)

Plekanec had a few seasons that would have filled one of those roles - either one, depending on usage. He put up 69 / 70 with Kovy / Cammy; mid 50’s with lesser line mates when DD was driving the bus.

Meanwhile, Danault has shown that he can put up mid 50’s with top line mates. Yet to be seen if he can add 15+ to that, or do the same with secondary wingers.

Hopefully KK and Suzuki can fill those 2 roles. The #1 getting 70 with top wingers, and the #2 getting 55. Both reliable without need to be sheltered.
sure, happens once every decade... let's mimic that instead of the stuff that wins 9X every decade...

seriously, have some standards guys.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
sure, happens once every decade... let's mimic that instead of the stuff that wins 9X every decade...

seriously, have some standards guys.

????

St Louis was not much different last year.

2/3 of Chicago’s cups had Toews at around 70 points.
Kopitar led with 70 in one of their Cup years.

70 + 55 has been enough for a Cup on several occasions. Not sure what this ‘once a decade’ talk is all about.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
????

St Louis was not much different last year.

2/3 of Chicago’s cups had Toews at around 70 points.
Kopitar led with 70 in one of their Cup years.

70 + 55 has been enough for a Cup on several occasions. Not sure what this ‘once a decade’ talk is all about.

Toews... with Kane (we don't have one) and Keith (we don't have one either)
Kopitar... with Doughty (we don't have one) and Quick (will we have one in 2/3/4 seaosns ??) who was fantastic in their runs

what you guys are doing is HOPING Primeau becomes a great goalie, HOPING Brooks/Fleury becomes great D, HOPING Poe and KK becomes great forwards, talking like Danault and Suzie will be a great two-way combo at C (reality : Suzie has mostly played on wings in camp)

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He was like 7th in face offs or something and took I think the 9th most in the league. Numbers may be mixed around, but they talked about it on the game last night.

Also 7th in selke voting.

I don't know why people don't see the value of Danault.

People see the value but some of what you are highlighting is simply that we have no one else. in Danault didn't have a great run in the final 20 -25 games was he over worked? He would probably be better off if we could spread some of that workload around. I laugh every time I read 7th in the Selke.
How many seasons did Pleks put up where he was 7th in the Selke or better? No one knows and no one cares. :rolleyes:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He will absolutely reach 60 pts if he does what every damn 60 pts scorer in this league does, which is playing on the man advantage.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

People see the value but some of what you are highlighting is simply that we have no one else. in Danault didn't have a great run in the final 20 -25 games was he over worked? He would probably be better off if we could spread some of that workload around. I laugh every time I read 7th in the Selke.
How many seasons did Pleks put up where he was 7th in the Selke or better? No one knows and no one cares. :rolleyes:

Exactly one.

Reactions: Rapala

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Mid fifties with no PP time, linemates who aren't actually top linemates (there's no OV, Kane, Kucherov or even Pasternak on this team : Gallagher is underrated and a legit first line player, but Tomas Tatar is pretty much a stereotypical second liner) while receiving tough deployments, and no "real" first minutes (Montreal top lines tend to play a bit less than other teams top lines)

That's actually REALLY good.

Which doesn't mean that there won't be players who will be better options in this role (as they gain experience).

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Mid fifties with no PP time, linemates who aren't actually top linemates (there's no OV, Kane, Kucherov or even Pasternak on this team : Gallagher is underrated and a legit first line player, but Tomas Tatar is pretty much a stereotypical second liner) while receiving tough deployments.

That's actually REALLY good.

Which doesn't mean that there won't be players who will be better options in this role (as they gain experience).

Thats the Canadiens ...... so and so would be better if he was playing with "other teams " players.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yes. When you put it that way , he is a super star!

Until you watch him play.

You're the one who is putting it that way.

I called him "really good". Not "super star".

Also, judging by the content of your posts, your eye is probably not to be trusted.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
You're the one who is putting it that way.

I called him "really good". Not "super star".

Also, judging by the content of your posts, your eye is probably not to be trusted.
Thats right. You wont get me over rating players just because they play for the Habs.

(Second line center) Danault was pretty good for 3/4 of the season. Disappeared down the stretch.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Reactions: 26Mats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad