Prediction on Game #52 May 3 Toronto @ Montreal

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Suggestion for next year - give different odds for picking less obvious choices.
Saying:

Matthews 4-2 Leafs each game is less exciting IMO.

Yeah I was thinking not being allowed to select the same player (and possibly score now that you mention 4-2) consecutively.

I would also give a bonus point for all two out of three outcomes. Score and scorer now worth (3+2) 5. Team and scorer (1+3) now worth 4. Team and score (1+2) gives a bomus point; now worth 4.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Yeah I was thinking not being allowed to select the same player (and possibly score now that you mention 4-2) consecutively.

I would also give a bonus point for all two out of three outcomes. Score and scorer now worth (3+2) 5. Team and scorer (1+3) now worth 4. Team and score (1+2) gives a bomus point; now worth 4.
I think the Matthews thing is an aberration that we should just enjoy. Its like having Gretzky in your 1980's hockey pool -- a leg up, but no guarantee of success.

The only thing I would change is to give points for the last goal scored instead of the first one. That would increase interest as the game progresses -- right down to that last empty-netter and/or overtime winner. Include the last player to score on the shootout, too -- and if no one scores in the shootout then the last scorer in regulation stands.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think the Matthews thing is an aberration that we should just enjoy. Its like having Gretzky in your 1980's hockey pool -- a leg up, but no guarantee of success.

The only thing I would change is to give points for the last goal scored instead of the first one. That would increase interest as the game progresses -- right down to that last empty-netter and/or overtime winner. Include the last player to score on the shootout, too -- and if no one scores in the shootout then the last scorer in regulation stands.

We could do first and last goal to keep it interesting.

Reactions: Ciao

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Proposed rule changes for next year. Comments welcome.

RULES
Select:
1. Winning Team
2. Final Score
3. First Leaf (opponent if predict Leafs are shutout) Goal scorer
4. Last Leaf (opponent if predict Leafs are shutout) Goal scorer
Correct Final Score +2
Correct First Goal Scorer +3
Correct Last Goal Scorer +3
Correct Winning Team and Final Score+1
Correct Winning Team, Final Score and First Goal Scorer+1
Correct Winning Team, Final Score and Last (regulation/OT) Goal Scorer +1
Salami - correct 1,2 and 3 or 4 would add up to 8 points
Grand Salami - all 4 correct would add up to 12 Points
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Obo

Nov 20, 2019
Based on the discussion here I really want to say 4-2 Leafs + Matthews, but I haven't picked Matthews since the first or second week of the season because it seems too easy (and my season score reflects that).

4-2 Leafs
Mikheyev

I am in favor of a scoring revamp for next year that gives people incentive to pick non-obvious scorers, especially if it can be done in a way that doesn't make ToneDog's life miserable. Maybe +1 for correctly picking a player outside the team's top 5 in scoring heading into the game? Or, and maybe this is easiest, +1 if you're the only one to pick the scorer correctly?

Also, since I don't say it often enough: Thanks ToneDog!

Reactions: ToneDog

Obo

Nov 20, 2019
Proposed rule changes for next year. Comments welcome.

RULES
Select:
1. Winning Team
2. Final Score
3. First Leaf (opponent if predict Leafs are shutout) Goal scorer
4. Last Leaf (opponent if predict Leafs are shutout) Goal scorer
Correct Final Score +2
Correct First Goal Scorer +3
Correct Last Goal Scorer +3
Correct Winning Team and Final Score+1
Correct Winning Team, Final Score and First Goal Scorer+1
Correct Winning Team, Final Score and Last (regulation/OT) Goal Scorer +1
Salami - correct 1,2 and 3 or 4 would add up to 8 points
Grand Salami - all 4 correct would add up to 12 Points
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Refining my last suggestion, how about +1 if 3 people or fewer get a particular pick right? That will give an incentive for getting away from the 4-2 Leafs Matthews Matthews guesses.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Refining my last suggestion, how about +1 if 3 people or fewer get a particular pick right? That will give an incentive for getting away from the 4-2 Leafs Matthews Matthews guesses.

Good suggestion but I'd have to figure out how to get that to work in my spreadsheet.

Then again as @The 6ix said, "I think the Matthews thing is an aberration that we should just enjoy. Its like having Gretzky in your 1980's hockey pool -- a leg up, but no guarantee of success.".

Here is the list of Leafs and how many times they have scored the first goal.

Matthews12
Nylander7
Hyman5
Spezza4
Marner3
Tavares3
Dermott2
Engvall2
Muzzin2
Rielly2
Simmonds2
Thornton2
Brooks1
Gally1
Mikheyev1
Vesey1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't think people should feel shy about picking Matthews. He's the odds-on favourite in every game, but there's no way of knowing when he hits it and when he doesn't -- it could just as easily be Hyman, Thornton or Brooks.

The Leafs haven't had the league's leading goal scorer in my lifetime, and I think we should just smile and roll with this. If you want to pick Matthews every night, go ahead and be prepared to gnash your teeth when your gut said Marner, Tavares or Nylander.

It's a game, and nothing but fun.

And thanks, as always, to @ToneDog for organizing this.

I just hope we don't end up making it too complicated and time-consuming to keep score. Things are fine just the way they are. It's a very pleasant diversion.

P.S. . . . or Reilly.

I don't think we need a no-Matthews rule. Play the odds at your own risk.

Last edited:

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

I wonder about a no Matthews rule. Leafs have a ton of player pacing for 20-30 goals/82. Only one pacing for like almost 70. It's a no brainer pick almost every game. Would create a lot more variety for goal scorer anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad