Prediction for WJC 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bud The Spud*

Zine said:
:lol: :shakehead

Crosby is awsome and it's likely that someday he'll be better than Ovechkin. But you either have to be very biased or living on the moon to think that Crosby is, right now, better than Ovechkin.

I don't think it is fair to say Crosby is better than Ovechkin. Lets see them play against eachother first and then we'll have a better idea. It should be interesting.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Attention Everyone!

If you are about to make a post about whether Canada or Russia will be better, because of Ovechin or Crosby, please go find some other thread to ruin!!

Hitman*

Slick Nick said:
So what Canada had the 3 top picks last year, Ovechkin will be drafted 1st, and Malkin probably 2nd or 3rd. And there's no way you can compare Ovechkin to Stall and Malkin to Horton, it's just not the same level of skill. And Crosby is only 16, he srill needs to mature his game.

So you have
Ovechkin 1st (2004)
Malkin 2nd or 3rd (2004)
Zherdev 4th (2003)

It was in response to Canada's lack of depth. (Just to clarify).

Dr_Chimera*

Rabid Ranger said:
I don't think so. When it comes to NHL calibre talent the U.S. surpasses Russia, and the junior age players are close if not right there. As for Canada, no one can match their depth *right now* but the U.S. has about as many registered hockey players as Canada does, and the sport continues to grow steadily in this country. It's really just a matter of time before the U.S. is on equal footing with Canada when it comes to producing hockey talent.

Well, Russia and the US definitely produce some of the best prospects in the world, but to say that the US is 'right there' with Russia in that field is not correct.

There just isn't as great depth among US prospects as in Russia and there is a lack of top-notch Ovechkin, Zherdev, Kovalchuk-type talent. I am a big fan of the college system (most people who read my posts here know that), but it simply is not on par.

But as for the NHL - no argument there. Russia needs about 5 or so years to get back on track in that regard.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
At the moment I think the US is in a comfortable third position for developing hockey talent. I'm hoping with the USHL moving to tier 1 junior (And the competition in that league steadily improving each year)and the continued improvement of the NCAA d-1 leagues that we will be on a comparable level with Russia in the next 10 years, and up there with Canada in 20. At the moment we produce some very good NHL talent and a number of solid players but as was stated before, we do not produce the Kovalchuk's, Crosby's, Ovechkin's, Heatley's or Spezza's. I do think that lately guys like Schremp, O'Sullivan, Parise, Pineault, Fritsche, Brown, Higgins have been some of the best NHL talent to come out of the states since Amonte and Weight entered the NHL, and I see an upward trend developing with guys like Heshmatpour, Bobby Ryan and other's on the way. So give us a decade or so and we'll see where the US stands in the hockey world.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dr_Chimera said:
Well, Russia and the US definitely produce some of the best prospects in the world, but to say that the US is 'right there' with Russia in that field is not correct.

There just isn't as great depth among US prospects as in Russia and there is a lack of top-notch Ovechkin, Zherdev, Kovalchuk-type talent. I am a big fan of the college system (most people who read my posts here know that), but it simply is not on par.

But as for the NHL - no argument there. Russia needs about 5 or so years to get back on track in that regard.

Fair enough. I'll be the first to admit I'm not an expert on Russian junior aged prospects, so any further input from guys like yourselves is appreciated.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Gold: Canada
Silver: USA
Bronze: Russia
4th: Czech republic
5th: Finland
6th: Switzerland
7th: Sweden

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Guy Lafleur said:
Oh and one more thing ..if Ovechkin is in the top 10 of NHL scoring after his first 3 weeks in the NHL ..i will wear a team russia hat the rest of the hockey season ..but i know i wont have to worry about that .
God Bless America and Canada ..the home of the free ..BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!!!!!!!
Canada -Russia hockey ..just brings out the patriotism in me ..War North America fnishing 1-2 at Olympics and World Juniors and World Cup !!!!!
Stick a FORK IN ME I AM >>>>>>>>>>>>DONE....OUT!!!!!!!!!! :rolly:

RACK HIM

Intelligence at its finest.

Knuckledraggers. :shakehead

Hitman*

Zine said:
Intelligence at its finest.

Knuckledraggers. :shakehead

Those were about 4of the most useless posts I have seen.

I'm not a fan of Russian prospects and especially Ovechkin, but I'm not that narrow-minded or biased. i know talent when I see it.

Hitman*

Slick Nick said:
Why was depth answerd by the rankings of the 2003 draft?

Why not? That's where most of the players will be coming from anyways. Slay mentioned about 5 Russian players (3 of whom weren't even drafted yet) and said they were no worse than Staal, Horton and Crosby and how Canada lacks depth. So I figured I'd mention the 15-20 players selected around the Russians of the 2003 draft to show the skill Canada had.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Hitman said:
Its just likelast year when we weren't given Spezza, Weiss, Blackburn, Bouwmeester and Nash.

I don't know why Crosby is up there though.

Russia would have still won last year. Remember, they were playing without the likes of Kovalchuk, Chistov, Semin, Knyazev, and Korsunov.

I do think that if every team had access to there best players Canada would have the best chance of winning it THIS year. They're loaded up front and have Fleury in goal. The only weak spot could be the defense. Apart from White, there's no other '84 D-man that really stands out. The younger d-men (Coburn, Phaneuf, etc.) are really going to have to step it up. Either way, with Fleury back in goal there's room for mistakes.

With NHLers available:
1. Canada
2. Russia
3. USA

Without:
1. Russia
2. USA
3. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events