Stewart (25th Overall)
Tambellini (27th Overall)
Perry (28th Overall)
Belle (30th Overall)
Glazachev (35th Overall)
Klein (37th Overall)
Pushkaryo (44th Overall)
Bergeron (45th Overall)---in NHL

So what Canada had the 3 top picks last year, Ovechkin will be drafted 1st, and Malkin probably 2nd or 3rd. And there's no way you can compare Ovechkin to Stall and Malkin to Horton, it's just not the same level of skill. And Crosby is only 16, he srill needs to mature his game.

So you have
Ovechkin 1st (2004)
Malkin 2nd or 3rd (2004)
Zherdev 4th (2003)

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Slick Nick said:
So what Canada had the 3 top picks last year, Ovechkin will be drafted 1st, and Malkin probably 2nd or 3rd. And there's no way you can compare Ovechkin to Stall and Malkin to Horton, it's just not the same level of skill. And Crosby is only 16, he srill needs to mature his game.

So you have
Ovechkin 1st (2004)
Malkin 2nd or 3rd (2004)
Zherdev 4th (2003)
I thought the question was about depth, not top end talent.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Slick Nick no way you can compare Ovechkin to Stall and Malkin to Horton said:

Ok, I'm sold.

Actually though, you should never say no way, unless you really have some serious substance to go along with that statement.

So I suppose you cant compare anyone to the 'almighty' Ovechkin. Seems to be in a league of his own. Hate to break it to you though, Malkin is not in that league with Ovechkin.

Which leads me to wonder, can you compare Staal and Malkin. I think you can. If not, where is the basis to say that you cant. If you can compare Staal and Malkin, then you can compare Horton and Malkin as well, because you certainly can compare Staal and Horton.

In fact, you can compare most highly regarded prospects. Until they make it to the show and start dominating like the 2nd coming, they are just that, highly regarded players/prospects. As far as I'm concerned, as long as they aren't being compared with Gretzky or Lemieux, compare away. Last time I checked Malkin isn't the next Gretzky or Lemieux, and frankly neither is Ovechkin.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
just a quick look at Sweden's key-players.

Alexander Steen (been tearing up the SEL, will lead the team and probably score plenty of points)
Robert Nilsson (has had a horrible season in the SEL but is still much better than most of the players on the team and should be able to put some pucks in)
Christopher Nilstorp (a very talented goalie, plays back-up in the SEL, very solid)
Tobias Enström (has just recovered from an injury and will be the key-player on the blue line)
Johan Fransson (2004 draft eligible defenseman, has been among the best rookies in the SEL so far, very good offensively)
Nicklas Danielsson (very good offensively, could be a big surprise)
Loui Eriksson (has had a strong rookie campaign and will get a lot of ice-time)

Swedish WHLers
Jonas Johansson
Marcus Paulsson
Marcus Jonasén
Could be important pieces with their scoring ability and physical play.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Okay relax guys. Under "depth" I meant that Russia has more amount of experienced players that playing versus men already for 2-3 years and several of them from 2002 draft and thus have 1 extra year in development over not small amount of players from team Canada that have a lot of players from 2003 draft.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Johnny said:
Slick Nick no way you can compare Ovechkin to Stall and Malkin to Horton said:

Ok, I'm sold.

Actually though, you should never say no way, unless you really have some serious substance to go along with that statement.

So I suppose you cant compare anyone to the 'almighty' Ovechkin. Seems to be in a league of his own. Hate to break it to you though, Malkin is not in that league with Ovechkin.

Which leads me to wonder, can you compare Staal and Malkin. I think you can. If not, where is the basis to say that you cant. If you can compare Staal and Malkin, then you can compare Horton and Malkin as well, because you certainly can compare Staal and Horton.

In fact, you can really compare most highly regarded prospects. Until they make it to the show and start dominating like the 2nd coming, they are just that, highly regarded players/prospects. As far as I'm concerned, as long as they aren't being compared with Gretzky or Lemieux, compare away. Last time I checked Malkin isn't the next Gretzky or Lemieux, and frankly neither is Ovechkin.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Slay said:
They aren't actually. Canadian team doesn't have a player of Ovechkin level.

Nash and Fluery can be VERY important for team Canada, way more than guys like Stall, Horton, Crosby.

No way Shafigulin, Malkin, Zherdev, Kazionov, Mirnov, Anshakov, Glazachev, Pestunov weaker than Stall, Horton and Crosby at the moment. Russia simply has more depth of experienced players in my opinion.

We have Crosby who is probably better than Ovechkin. You don't have any goalie that can be equal to ours. Your team would not have ANY chance if all of our guys good be there.

Staal, Bouchard, Horton and Fleury would be a major improvement to our team...

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
DanyHeatley#1Fan said:
We have Crosby who is probably better than Ovechkin. You don't have any goalie that can be equal to ours. Your team would not have ANY chance if all of our guys good be there.

and Nash, Burns and Bergeron.

I am sure nobody will argue that Canadian Hockey has more 'depth' than any other country at any level.

I am sure everyone will agree that 'top end talent' among Canada, Russia, Sweden, USA, etc. could be argued for days upon days!

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Well, sure, but Canada and Russia were, are and always will be in a league of their own. There's no "Crosby" or "Ovechkin" coming out of USA.

Russia and Canada are the two powerhouses of hockey, they win depth and top-end talent wise. USA seem to catching up, but there's still a lot of work to do...

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
DanyHeatley#1Fan said:
Well, sure, but Canada and Russia were, are and always will be in a league of their own. There's no "Crosby" or "Ovechkin" coming out of USA.

Russia and Canada are the two powerhouses of hockey, they win depth and top-end talent wise. USA seem to catching up, but there's still a lot of work to do...

Well I'd tend to agree, but I'd argue the USA is up there with Russia.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
DanyHeatley#1Fan said:

I don't think so. When it comes to NHL calibre talent the U.S. surpasses Russia, and the junior age players are close if not right there. As for Canada, no one can match their depth *right now* but the U.S. has about as many registered hockey players as Canada does, and the sport continues to grow steadily in this country. It's really just a matter of time before the U.S. is on equal footing with Canada when it comes to producing hockey talent.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
DanyHeatley#1Fan said:

Did you sing the same tune last year when Canada *just* beat the U.S. in the semis and then went on to lose to Russia in the final?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The only thing Heatley fan has right is that it seems that the USA doesn't produce many off the charts prospects, i.e. kovalchuk, ovechkin, crosby,etc. and I don't know why that is, but I agree with Rabid, the USA overall produces talent equal to, or better than Russia.

Hitman*

Rabid Ranger said:
Did you sing the same tune last year when Canada *just* beat the U.S. in the semis and then went on to lose to Russia in the final?

Well this was a talent depleted Canada that had more experience than skill. Nobody really expected them to make it to the final so it was all a bonus.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
DanyHeatley#1Fan said:
We have Crosby who is probably better than Ovechkin.

:lol: :shakehead

Crosby is awsome and it's likely that someday he'll be better than Ovechkin. But you either have to be very biased or living on the moon to think that Crosby is, right now, better than Ovechkin.

Hitman*

Zine said:
:lol: :shakehead

Crosby is awsome and it's likely that someday he'll be better than Ovechkin. But you either have to be very biased or living on the moon to think that Crosby is, right now, better than Ovechkin.

We'll probably find out at the WJCs. Or....is Alex playing in the Russia vs CHL games? We could find out then too.

But its not crazy, don't say its crazy until we see what each one of them can do.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Hitman said:
We'll probably find out at the WJCs. Or....is Alex playing in the Russia vs CHL games? We could find out then too.

But its not crazy, don't say its crazy until we see what each one of them can do.

According to most Russian "experts" who post here, the Russians will most likely send a "B" level team to play the CHL all-stars. So we probably won't see Ovechkin until the WJC. :(

Everyone's entitled to their oppinion, but remember Crosby's still a kid. If memory serves me right, he wasn't even in the top 5 in scoring at the recent U-17s (world's best '86 born players).
On the other hand, Ovechkin could probably be playing in the NHL right now. Or better yet, think if Alexander played against those '86 born players......Yikes!!!!
Both are miles ahead of everyone else in their age group, but Ovechkin is 2 years older than Crosby which makes a lot of difference.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Well, I'm biased toward Crosby because I actually saw him play 10x times more than Ovechkin. And quite frankly, Sid impressed me every time he touches the ice. He's good in every situation and he seems so calm. He does not have quality linemate and he doesn't even play 1st line duty and he STILL register an average of 2 points per game. That's, in my opinion, outstanding.

I just saw Ovechkin in last year WJC and I was quite impressed too, but I had a feeling that he would not have been that good without Grigorenko, Perezoghin and other. But, again, my knowledge on Ovechkin is VERY small. But what I know on Crosby makes me think that he is quite unbeatable.

Well, I hope that the Montreal Canadiens can draft 'em both :handclap: It would be a killer duo, even better than Gretzky/Kurri (probably not, but... :yo: )

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
DanyHeatley#1Fan said:
Well, I hope that the Montreal Canadiens can draft 'em both :handclap: It would be a killer duo, even better than Gretzky/Kurri (probably not, but... :yo: )

Here's to the Habs getting them. :handclap:

I'd give my left nut to see a Ovechkin/Crosby vs. Heatley/Kovalchuk match-up. :yo:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Before the start of the season I thought that the four of them could be on the same team one day. But I. Kovalchuk made a different choice :P

Crosby/Ovechkin vs Heatley/Kovalchuk would sold out the Olympique Stadium 4x times at 1000$ for a single ticket.

Wouldn't be cool to see #87 up in the rafters...

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
DanyHeatley#1Fan said:

lol Right now Ovechkin NHL ready! and I suppose Crosby too right? So you are saying he better right now? You stll can't understand that Malkin Glazachev, Shafigulin, Babchuk, Pestunov, Mirnov, Kazionov not worse than those guys at the moment at least they are very close. Their potential it is another issue though.

In 2002 Canada had Spezza, Nash, Upshall, Kobasew, Cammalleri, Bouwmeester and still didn't win.

Anyways none of the top teams think that she is weaker than other top teams, that is for sure.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Well Zine, you do live on Mars, thats worse than the moon ;) :p

I think it's really too close to call a difference between the top three teams, the Finns are probably a level down now (Losing Lehtonen and Ruutu) and then you have the Czechs, Slovaks and the Swedes who may not have the same talent right now, but could quite easily upset some of the top teams, even the Swiss could (btw who's new this year? The Ukraine?) We shall see when final rosters are announced, no use arguing about things when players could still not play for whatever reasons (hopefully not injuries though, touch wood), It will be clearly come Christmastime, but even then, we'll have to watch to find out.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
DanyHeatley#1Fan said:
I just saw Ovechkin in last year WJC and I was quite impressed too, but I had a feeling that he would not have been that good without Grigorenko, Perezoghin and other

oh please Ovechkin dont need "great" talent on his wings , he makes other payers look good, hey BETTER ! The linemates need him !

And the first line was : Polushin - Trubachev - Ovechkin ! There was no Grego or Perez on his line !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad