Speculation: Predicting potential PTO's

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-predicting-ptos-potential-tryouts/

Detroit Red Wings

PTOs: Valeri Nichushkin (RW), Adam Tambellini (LW)

ANALYSIS: Yzerman has enjoyed a ton of success with Russians — as a player in Detroit and as a manager in Tampa Bay — so he could be kicking tires on Nichushkin, who didn’t pan out for Dallas. Yzerman may or may not be interested since one of his former managerial mentors in Detroit, Jim Nill, is the man who cut ties with Nichushkin as the Stars’ GM.

Tambellini would be an AHL addition for Grand Rapids, a good-sized forward with good speed who turns 25 in November but has yet to get a look at the NHL level. Perhaps he could debut for Detroit or simply serve as organizational depth.

Interesting. The Tambellini one is a bit odd because GR seems to be set with veteran forwards, and he's played enough career AHL games to count against the vet limit.

I guess Nichushkin makes sense since he's still young and could benefit from a change of scenery.

Given what Yzerman said after making his UFA signings, I wouldn't be surprised to see him extend some PTO's to guys who could actually compete for a spot, rather than just be there as a warm body to meet the preseason experience limit:

Valtteri Filppula, Patrik Nemeth provide Red Wings flexibility, buy time
Yzerman said he has potential open spot at right wing.

“I don’t want to fill it just to fill it just because it gives us some options for some of our younger players to see if they’re ready, and it leaves opportunity maybe for something to come along between now and the start of the regular season,” Yzerman said. “So, I’m not really in a hurry, but if I could add another winger, I would consider that. And potentially maybe look at another defenseman. But we weigh adding another one versus just leaving a spot for one of our younger guys on the roster, maybe decide it at training camp or after training camp. If the right player and the right contract comes along, we would consider signing another one.”

I'm guessing "another defenseman" is a vet to step in if Kronwall doesn't return and he doesn't think his young D are ready to take on a regular role, or someone to sit in the pressbox as #7/8 since that wouldn't make sense for any of the young D (except maybe Hicketts)

At forward it's probably someone who gives them depth on the wing if only 1 or 2 of Hirose, Zadina, Svechnikov or Rasmussen make the NHL club, or a #13 forward who would be a spare winger that sits in the press box when everyone is healthy

Who would YOU consider giving a chance on a PTO, if any? And then who do you think YZERMAN would extend a PTO to, if any?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I wouldn't have high expectations from Nuke, I feel like he has had enough of an opportunity to prove his game. His style of play is more like a power forward top 6 or bust. He's like a really unsuccessful Russian Rick Nash. I don't mind a no-risk look but I wouldn't want him crowding out a younger player but I would rather see the roster plugged with long shots and reclimations than more safe signings like Flippula.

Nuke could have just not found the right teammates to click with but he had Benn and Seguin to help him score and his numbers in Russia are pretty uninspiring. If he was NHL material I think he should be able to take the pucks in for goals more than his stats show already.

Don't get me wrong I would be excited to see him try in a wings uniform but my expectations would be pretty darned low

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm pretty damn low on Nuke. I'd love to add him to my collection of Stars/Wings crossover players, but that's legit the only reason.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I wouldn't have high expectations from Nuke, I feel like he has had enough of an opportunity to prove his game. His style of play is more like a power forward top 6 or bust. He's like a really unsuccessful Russian Rick Nash. I don't mind a no-risk look but I wouldn't want him crowding out a younger player but I would rather see the roster plugged with long shots and reclimations than more safe signings like Flippula.

Nuke could have just not found the right teammates to click with but he had Benn and Seguin to help him score and his numbers in Russia are pretty uninspiring. If he was NHL material I think he should be able to take the pucks in for goals more than his stats show already.

Don't get me wrong I would be excited to see him try in a wings uniform but my expectations would be pretty darned low

Disagree on the Filppula comment. I think priority #1 has to be creating an environment in which the talent you have already invested in can best develop and hopefully thrive. Filppula accomplishes that better than Nichuskin.

Having said that, I would be ok with inviting Nichuskin to camp on a PTO. His most direct competition would be Svechnikov. If he REALLY IMPRESSES and Svech doesn't show anything, then perhaps you give him a spot and let Svech be exposed to waivers or dangled on the trade market.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I can see it that way too, I wasn't necessarily advocating that Nichuskin be signed instead of Filppula, just that I think filling the roster out with some people that have upside rather than someone with a heartbeat to fill in a blank and will retire before the core is competing would be preferable. I get that Filppula adds stability and veteran presence, but there is no point in being slightly more competitive when no matter what do you will be a lottery team. Either fill the spot with someone another team gave up on but still might bloom, a player that needs a change of scenery, or a bad contract that comes with some incentives, or throw a prospect in to sink or swim. Veteran plugs just take up cap space at this stage.

Nuke kinda fitts that bill, use a wasted season to gamble on a player that might be a late bloomer, low risk high reward.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Disagree on the Filppula comment. I think priority #1 has to be creating an environment in which the talent you have already invested in can best develop and hopefully thrive. Filppula accomplishes that better than Nichuskin.

Having said that, I would be ok with inviting Nichuskin to camp on a PTO. His most direct competition would be Svechnikov. If he REALLY IMPRESSES and Svech doesn't show anything, then perhaps you give him a spot and let Svech be exposed to waivers or dangled on the trade market.

Fortunately Svechnikov is still waiver exempt so if he's outplayed by a PTO, he can back to GR without any drama.

Nichushkin would probably have to really impress over young guys to get a regular role, but he could also win a job as a spare part if some guys start the year injured and he has to either outplay someone that can go to GR without waivers or stick around as a #13F until someone else gets hurt, or end up getting waived himself. I would imagine if Nichushkin became a "successful" PTO, whatever contract he signs would probably have a "European Assignment Clause" on an out clause that lets him go back to the KHL. A win-win for the Wings if he ends up getting pushed out, so he doesn't take up space in GR.

Reactions: Retire91

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I'm a huge fan of young players as a reacclimation project, it's why I like the Bowey trade.
I'm all for giving Nichushkin a PTO.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Nichushkin didn't exactly dominate the KHL when he was there.

He is 5 years removed from his best NHL season. Let's be honest, the boat has already sailed on him and he'll bank more money returning to the KHL.

Seems he never recovered from missing most of the 2014-15 season.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Fortunately Svechnikov is still waiver exempt so if he's outplayed by a PTO, he can back to GR without any drama.

Nichushkin would probably have to really impress over young guys to get a regular role, but he could also win a job as a spare part if some guys start the year injured and he has to either outplay someone that can go to GR without waivers or stick around as a #13F until someone else gets hurt, or end up getting waived himself. I would imagine if Nichushkin became a "successful" PTO, whatever contract he signs would probably have a "European Assignment Clause" on an out clause that lets him go back to the KHL. A win-win for the Wings if he ends up getting pushed out, so he doesn't take up space in GR.

Good to know on Svechnikov. I have read conflicting reports regarding his waiver eligibility.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So less money, for bottom 6 minutes, with more games.

Compared to;
More money, top 6 minutes, and fewer games mostly in home country.

Difficult choice that.

The NHL is the premier hockey league on the planet. Playing there means something that goes beyond money and minutes.

Also, if the guy can catch on in someone's bottom6 and work his way up, I'm not sure the NHL wouldn't be a better bet financially in the long run. Nicushkin would have to work his way up the lineup, though. Something he hasn't shown the ability to do.

For less money? With complete uncertainty that he will even make the team? I'm sure he'll head back, he's already played in the KHL twice.

If he doesn't make the team, he goes back to the KHL at that point. If he wants to.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The NHL is the premier hockey league on the planet. Playing there means something that goes beyond money and minutes.

Also, if the guy can catch on in someone's bottom6 and work his way up, I'm not sure the NHL wouldn't be a better bet financially in the long run. Nicushkin would have to work his way up the lineup, though. Something he hasn't shown the ability to do.

If he doesn't make the team, he goes back to the KHL at that point. If he wants to.
Teams will have their rosters filled by then. The fact that he's still available means his options are limited. I bet he winds up playing in one of the Euro leagues.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I don't see much point in PTOs this year.
On forward or defense.
At forward, we've got 4 pretty promising wingers on the doorstep. Rasmussen. Zadina. Hirose. Svechnikov.
Sure, Nischushkin could be a big 20-goal man again one day, even if just went 0-for-18/19.
But do we need wingers?
We've got three good 25U wingers on the roster right now. We've got four more knocking on the door?
How many top 9 wingers do you want? You can only have six.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't see much point in PTOs this year.
On forward or defense.
At forward, we've got 4 pretty promising wingers on the doorstep. Rasmussen. Zadina. Hirose. Svechnikov.
Sure, Nischushkin could be a big 20-goal man again one day, even if just went 0-for-18/19.
But do we need wingers?
We've got three good 25U wingers on the roster right now. We've got four more knocking on the door?
How many top 9 wingers do you want? You can only have six.
Out of the 4 you mentioned only Hirose is NHL ready. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have PTO players compete against the other kids, and just pick whoever plays the best. PTO players usually sign cheap contracts, would be an asset that's easy to trade or bury.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think Svech is as NHL ready as Hirose.
We don't need PTO players.

We've got 5 forwards to introduce in the next 160 games.
Let's start with 2 in October.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->