Line Combos: Predicting Forward Lines for 2013-2014

mrkevo

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
On the flip side, our one good line came as a result of line juggling.

True, but how many more combinations can we go with at this point? I've seen Spezza play with a lot of different line mates so far and none of those lines have been particularly good. However with more time to find chemistry I think he could find himself on a very productive line.

I'd like to try Conacher/Zibanejad-Spezza-Michalek for a couple of games to see how that goes.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
True, but how many more combinations can we go with at this point? I've seen Spezza play with a lot of different line mates so far and none of those lines have been particularly good. However with more time to find chemistry I think he could find himself on a very productive line.

I'd like to try Conacher/Zibanejad-Spezza-Michalek for a couple of games to see how that goes.

So you want it to stop, but now you want to try a new line combo in Zib, Spezz & Micha! :shakehead

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
jack_adams-e1363634723678.jpg

In The Stache I Trust.

mrkevo

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
So you want it to stop, but now you want to try a new line combo in Zib, Spezz & Micha! :shakehead

LOL I'm not sure it's a new line combo as it's probably been tried before this season as the lines seem to change almost every period. I'd just like to see Spezza get constant line mates for a couple of games and lately he hasn't.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I don't personally mind line juggling. I think it sends the message that if your not busting your ass every shift, you could lose the opportunity at any time.

Besides, chemistry can also be built in practice. I think these guys know each other well enough that there's not going to be a some magical moment when it just clicks.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
I don't personally mind line juggling. I think it sends the message that if your not busting your ass every shift, you could lose the opportunity at any time.

Besides, chemistry can also be built in practice. I think these guys know each other well enough that there's not going to be a some magical moment when it just clicks.

Would agree with this fully. Great post.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I agree I think some line stability is needed. there is nothing wrong with juggling on occasion to make a point or ride a hot player, but this constant juggling is confusing to me never mind the players. Our best line has only had one change and I don't think it's a coincidence they are playing so well together.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
The reaaon spezza has had different linemates is because his line always gets.scored on due mostly for spezzas bad turnover and defensive play. Put someone that is defensively responsible with spezza, as long as spezzas line isnt spending most of their time in the defensive zone im sure spezza will find a way to score and will find his linemates.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The reaaon spezza has had different linemates is because his line always gets.scored on due mostly for spezzas bad turnover and defensive play. Put someone that is defensively responsible with spezza, as long as spezzas line isnt spending most of their time in the defensive zone im sure spezza will find a way to score and will find his linemates.

What if when Condra is back they put him and Greening with Spezza. They played together for an extended period a few years ago. Condra can pass to Spezza at least. The line would be good both ways, and it allows a third scoring line with Zibanejad. It couldn't work of the line can't produce offence, but I could see Spezza shooting more with those two, and he is the best shot on the team, Greening crashing the net, and the line maintaining possession, or regaining it quickly with Condra. We usually have some adept offensive D-men on the ice to work with Spezza too. Plus Greening has not been great, maybe being with Condra helps.... Plus Spezza obviously.

Leaves us with much more offence in the bottom 6.

Greening Spezza Condra
MacArthur Turris Ryan
Conacher Zibanejad Michalek
Whomever Smith Neil

It could not work... But maybe it would and we get 3 lines that are good on both ends of the rink. And maybe a 4th line energy line with Neil Smith and Pageau that had speed, skill and strength.

Still lots of options. We are juggling because there has been no gelling of the lines save the Turris line.

SenatorsLegionary

Member of Sens Army
Oct 25, 2008
Montreal, Qc
What if when Condra is back they put him and Greening with Spezza. They played together for an extended period a few years ago. Condra can pass to Spezza at least. The line would be good both ways, and it allows a third scoring line with Zibanejad. It couldn't work of the line can't produce offence, but I could see Spezza shooting more with those two, and he is the best shot on the team, Greening crashing the net, and the line maintaining possession, or regaining it quickly with Condra. We usually have some adept offensive D-men on the ice to work with Spezza too. Plus Greening has not been great, maybe being with Condra helps.... Plus Spezza obviously.

Leaves us with much more offence in the bottom 6.

Greening Spezza Condra
MacArthur Turris Ryan
Conacher Zibanejad Michalek
Whomever Smith Neil

It could not work... But maybe it would and we get 3 lines that are good on both ends of the rink. And maybe a 4th line energy line with Neil Smith and Pageau that had speed, skill and strength.

Still lots of options. We are juggling because there has been no gelling of the lines save the Turris line.

I actually love this idea...I'll admit I would've never thought of putting Condra on the top line but it could definitely work. He's played well on a line with Greening in the past and has underrated playmaking abilities. He'd also be the defensive conscience of that line which he's proven to be good at.

I also like that Conacher is with Zbad. They've shown chemistry together before and would make a nice third line at both ends. I hope the team at least tries this line-up.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Yes, Condra with Spezza is genius.

That's why I suggested it, like, two pages ago.

;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad