Line Combos: Predicting Forward Lines for 2013-2014

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Why do people see the Spezza-Neil line as our #1?

Based on those pairings, that's the 3rd line.

Good point actually. I guess we just see the order they are posted in and assume that's 1 through 4. It's a Spezza demotion!

Master Kush

Jan 29, 2003
Visit site
If that's the lines at the game...then Paul has officially lost it. Neil has arguably been our worst forward and possibly player and now gets to play with spezza? The guy should be in the press box cause of all the stupid penalties he took that have cost us points.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
It's just practice lines why are people so uptight ? It does look odd but I would be very surprised if these are the lines Friday night. The only thing I do like about is we become a three line team, I prefer that over the top two bottom two thing. Greening up and Neil down would seem to make more sense but ??? Let's just wait and see. On defense something has to be done to improve the performance back there and I for one (outside of some player movement) don't know what the answer is there.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
So the only thing going for spezza right now is his offense(12pts, -6) and you put an offensive blackhole with him? Great, but maybe neil can help the spezza line play better defensively? absolutely not, im pretty sure neil is one of the higher negative ratings in the team, just doenst make sense. Same thing with karlsson-Phillips pairing,Karlsson pinches a lot and methot always cover for him with speed and good defensive play plus good passes, Phillips wont be able to do any of that

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Something a little different:

Hoffman-Spezza-Neil
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Conacher-Zibanejad-Michalek
Greening-Smith-Condra

Use Neil on the top line like Dallas used to do with Steve Ott.

I posted that a couple of days ago.

Neil actually has decent hands in close. If you put him and Conacher in front of the net, and let Spezza shoot at them, it could be money.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
We have home ice advantage the next two games so let's say Spezza becomes the third line center ? As a third line Conacher and Spezza with Neil in front of the net would cause havoc with other teams lower lines. The Spezza first line has been getting killed defensively most games, Turris line would be line one, Smith line would be line two. Go back to your usually top players on the power play and MAYBE this makes sense ? Just trying to make sense of it ?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The team is not ready to settle into permanent line combos, so.......

-Line numbering (ie 1,2,3,4) is not necessary/important.
-The less talent spezza has on his wings, the more he shoots.
-The best line stays together (turris line)
-Smith line looks interesting, although usually when smith gets a linemate promotion too soon he falls on his face
-Captain Spezza and Assistant captain Neil get to work, strategize together
-d pairings are more balanced

Looks like a good change up. He is trying to find things that work. Encouraging that he kept the one line that definitely does, together.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Pretty obvious what the rationale is here. Conventional Spezza lines have an identity crisis where the wingers refuse to either be the speedster or the net front presence. This line, if nothing else, will have Conacher buzzing on the forecheck, and Neil planted in the blue paint. It's a going-back-to-the-basics philosophy, and given how far the team has wandered off the path already, I'm intrigued. As long as it's a short term thing.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Calm down people. Maclean is trying to find lineups that work. I do doubt very much that those will be the actual lineups on friday. Still though, freaking out about it.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Anyone remember when the flames coach made all the d play forward and the forwards play d? Thats the next step after this. lol

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Those lines are not actually that awful. Spezza can carry a line offensively -- he finds ways to produce and Conacher is actually doing well in driving the play on the ice. I'd rather see Condra or someone else on the top line instead of Neil, but options are limited.

The Turris line is straightforward.

Michalek - Smith - Zibanejad gives a 3rd threat, and Smith has actually been playing great hockey lately. This could be the 'secondary' scoring that this team needs right now because they're leaning very heavily on the top two lines.

Splitting up the D could be interesting. I don't think that Phillips is the best option for playing with Karlsson right now.

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba

Would be my preferred lines.

booger

Oct 5, 2009
Oakville
Those lines are not actually that awful. Spezza can carry a line offensively -- he finds ways to produce and Conacher is actually doing well in driving the play on the ice. I'd rather see Condra or someone else on the top line instead of Neil, but options are limited.

The Turris line is straightforward.

Michalek - Smith - Zibanejad gives a 3rd threat, and Smith has actually been playing great hockey lately. This could be the 'secondary' scoring that this team needs right now because they're leaning very heavily on the top two lines.

Splitting up the D could be interesting. I don't think that Phillips is the best option for playing with Karlsson right now.

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba

Would be my preferred lines.

Would generally agree with you. Though given the choice between Neil and Condra (whoa! those are my options, lol), I'd go with Neil any day. Condra is an absolute black hole offensively. At least Neil can get those garbage goals in front of the net.

That Smith line could be the dark horse. Size, speed and some skill.

Phillips isn't the best option with K, but with Cowen playing so poorly, we need to spread out the defensive defencemen. And Methot is the best option to stabilize the second pairing.

Alas, part of the learning curve with such a young team which is all too often lost with this fanbase.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
The fact of the matter is Spezza is a minus 6 or something around there. While not all his fault something is not working as the first line is getting killed in possession constantly. For whatever reason when Conacher was on that line the possession numbers were good. I would rather see greening on the other side but you have to try something.

WhiteLight*

It's essentially the exact same lines except for a Smith-Spezza switch. Spezza deserves the demotion and Smith deserves the promotion. good

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I know I called for soemthing completely different but this is too funny. :laugh: I wonder what people would have said if I would have made these lines? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Spezza will still get his minutes -- I don't think that MacLean is sticking to a traditional line-up philosophy. In order to stand by his "the best players play" mentality he needs everyone to be comfortable playing with eachother IMO. Also while Smith was awesome last game Spezza was still better -- the last few games Spezza has been backchecking hard, creating a lot of chances and winning faceoffs. He's also been a lot more responsible with the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad