Predict who wins the Canadian Division for Playoffs (not regular season)

Predict who wins the Canadian Division for Playoffs (not regular season)

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I know the playoff format and even the Canadian division aren't 100% confirmed yet - but by all accounts the most likely scenario would have:

- Canadian only division with 7 teams, only playing against other teams in same division during season
- Top 4 teams qualify for playoffs
- Round 1 is 1v4, 2v3, and Round 2 is winner vs winner with a winner emerging into playoff final 4.

Assuming this above is the final format - who do you predict will win the division? Remember I'm asking specifically for playoff winner - not regular season winner.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Would be an amazing season if it ends up being set up like this. Lots of star power and high offence teams here. I am biased as a leafs fan but I like our chances. Not because of the additions we’ve made but because Matthews , marner and nylander should continue to improve. Outside of Ottawa every team has a legitimate chance. Calgary is the team that would most worry me the most- great defensive team and a top 10 tender in the league.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Would be an amazing season if it ends up being set up like this. Lots of star power and high offence teams here. I am biased as a leafs fan but I like our chances. Not because of the additions we’ve made but because Matthews , marner and nylander should continue to improve. Outside of Ottawa every team has a legitimate chance. Calgary is the team that would most worry me the most- great defensive team and a top 10 tender in the league.

I'm a Habs fan but I agree with the bolded. That's a great core - I think at some point they figure it out, despite the misses in the past couple of years.

Calgary is a team that looks like it should be good in playoffs - but their best player (Gaudreau) doesn't exactly have a strong rep for playoffs so far. I'm still not sure how Calgary lost to Dallas last year, they seemed to have that series well in-hand. I'm not sure I'm as quick as others to label Markstrom a top goalie in the league - but if he performs well there's no question that's a huge difference for them.

Reactions: TopCheese

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
For me it between Hans and Nucks in the playoffs.

Canucks have gone the farthest most recently (however their team is fairly different)

Habs looked good against the Flyers last year and are more so built for playoffs than the regular season. Very grindy, physical hockey especially on the blue line.

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
Leafs fan saying Calgary. They are the one team that can play any style and seem to be the most balanced.

Dark horse is Montreal.

Toronto and Edmonton do not get the benefit of any doubt until they show they've made the next step.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Definitely not Montreal.. Crazy that they are second in votes

Leafs/Flames
Canucks/Jets/Oilers
Habs

Sens
--------------
Past 3 years the standings were;

Edmonton
Toronto
Vancouver
Calgary
Winnipeg
Montreal
Ottawa

Calgary
Toronto
Winnipeg
Montreal
Vancouver
Edmonton
Ottawa

Winnipeg
Toronto
Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
Montreal
Ottawa
----------------------------
Aggregate
Toronto - 2
Calgary - 2.67
Winnipeg - 3
Edmonton -4
Vancouver - 5
Montreal - 5.3
Ottawa - 7

Based on history, Toronto and Calgary are my top tier. Both teams have been in the top 4 consistently, and have not downgraded their teams. Vancouver is my 3 spot, just because they are on the upswing, Winnipeg, & Edmonton are in that mix.

Montreal is being vastly overrated, based on a play in series.

Ottawa is quite easily the worst of the bunch.

----
Edit misread op, it says for the playoffs. Well I don't see Montreal, Ottawa making the playoffs. That means it remains between, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Toronto. I think either the Jets or Oilers miss between these two teams.

By my guess the top 4 will be:
Toronto
Calgary
Vancouver
Winnipeg

I would choose the Flames as they have proven they can do it and I like their overall depth. Voted for the leafs thinking it was regular season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020

Leafs/Flames
Canucks/Jets/Oilers
Habs

Sens
--------------

Edmonton
Toronto
Vancouver
Calgary
Winnipeg
Montreal
Ottawa

Calgary
Toronto
Winnipeg
Montreal
Vancouver
Edmonton
Ottawa

Winnipeg
Toronto
Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
Montreal
Ottawa
Aggregate
Toronto - 2
Calgary - 2.67
Winnipeg - 3
Edmonton -4
Vancouver - 5
Montreal - 5.3
Ottawa - 7

Based on history, Toronto and Calgary are my top tier. Both teams have been in the top 4 consistently, and have not downgraded their teams. Vancouver is my 3 spot, just because they are on the upswing, Winnipeg, & Edmonton are in that mix.

----
Edit misread op, it says for the playoffs. Well I don't see Montreal, Ottawa making the playoffs. That means it remains between, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Toronto. I choose the Flames as they have proven they can do it and I like their depth. Voted for the leafs thinking it was regular season.

Thanks for this breakdown. It is actually very informative.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Leafs/Flames
Canucks/Jets/Oilers
Habs

Sens
--------------

Edmonton
Toronto
Vancouver
Calgary
Winnipeg
Montreal
Ottawa

Calgary
Toronto
Winnipeg
Montreal
Vancouver
Edmonton
Ottawa

Winnipeg
Toronto
Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
Montreal
Ottawa
Aggregate
Toronto - 2
Calgary - 2.67
Winnipeg - 3
Edmonton -4
Vancouver - 5
Montreal - 5.3
Ottawa - 7

----
Edit misread op, it says for the playoffs. Well I don't see Montreal, Ottawa making the playoffs. That means it remains between, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Toronto. I think either the Jets or Oilers miss between these two teams.

Toronto
Calgary
Vancouver
Winnipeg

I would choose the Flames as they have proven they can do it and I like their overall depth. Voted for the leafs thinking it was regular season.

I think Carey Price is the biggest x-factor in the division (after Edmonton duo) when it comes to playoffs. It doesn't mean he's going to win a cup or even a series by himself - but if he's on his game he can be an incredible obstacle. I don't know that the Habs can compete with top teams like Tampa and such - but with no immediate powerhouses in this Canadian division - I can see Carey Price powering the Canadiens through 2 rounds.

It's true Habs may or may not make the playoffs - but I think it's pretty close with all 6 teams (minus Ottawa). So even if Montreal isn't your favorites in the season - it's extremely plausible they qualify. I think they'd be a strong contender in playoff matchups in this division.

ps - I'm a Habs fan so I'm definitely somewhat biased. My one biggest hope for this season honestly is to have Habs play the Leafs in the playoffs. It's absolutely insane to think that matchup hasn't happened in 40+ years.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Leafs. We'll hear a lot oi arguments about "Winning rounds". That's pretty irrelevant in the NHL in the decades I've ben watching. It's about the present not the past and Leafs are the deepest most talented team.

I agree that the Leaf's lack of playoff success isn't really relevant anymore in this division. None of the Canadian teams have had much recent playoff success either, so they're all on even footing. If Leafs were in a division with Tampa/Boston or even Washington/Pittsburgh - sure, talk about lack of playoff success. I think it's more wide open with Canadian teams.

For what it's worth - I did some checking, and the Habs have a stellar record against other Canadian Teams in the past 4 years. I think this bodes well for them:

vs Calgary: 6-1-1
vs Edmonton: 2-5-1
vs Ottawa: 12-2-3
vs Toronto: 8-4-3
vs Vancouver: 7-0-1
vs Winnipeg: 5-2-1

Total: 40-14-10

That's a pace of 115 points over 82 games.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Leafs/Flames
Canucks/Jets/Oilers
Habs

Sens
--------------

Edmonton
Toronto
Vancouver
Calgary
Winnipeg
Montreal
Ottawa

Calgary
Toronto
Winnipeg
Montreal
Vancouver
Edmonton
Ottawa

Winnipeg
Toronto
Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
Montreal
Ottawa
Aggregate
Toronto - 2
Calgary - 2.67
Winnipeg - 3
Edmonton -4
Vancouver - 5
Montreal - 5.3
Ottawa - 7

----

Toronto
Calgary
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Although I mostly agree, I point out which teams got better this off season, and which ones regressed or stayed the same. I see the Flames and Habs as the two getting much better. Flames adding Markstrom is the biggest improvement of any team. The Habs add a top line RW. The Oilers and Jets stayed about the same. The Canucks and Leafs regressed. The Canucks lost their starting goalie, top pairing right side D, and top line RW. Huge regression. The Leafs didn’t replace Kapanen. Not huge, but still not replaced. The Sens are going to finish last no matter.

Mitch nylander

Jun 2, 2016
I think Carey Price is the biggest x-factor in the division (after Edmonton duo) when it comes to playoffs. It doesn't mean he's going to win a cup or even a series by himself - but if he's on his game he can be an incredible obstacle. I don't know that the Habs can compete with top teams like Tampa and such - but with no immediate powerhouses in this Canadian division - I can see Carey Price powering the Canadiens through 2 rounds.

It's true Habs may or may not make the playoffs - but I think it's pretty close with all 6 teams (minus Ottawa). So even if Montreal isn't your favorites in the season - it's extremely plausible they qualify. I think they'd be a strong contender in playoff matchups in this division.

ps - I'm a Habs fan so I'm definitely somewhat biased. My one biggest hope for this season honestly is to have Habs play the Leafs in the playoffs. It's absolutely insane to think that matchup hasn't happened in 40+ years.

Good post, Carey price is one of those players that can carry a team when he’s on. I just went with the past 3 years and that’s how I made my ranking.

Agreed on the last part, Toronto habs playoff round would be a blood bath, that’s something I’d love to see, and I believe it’s a possible scenario.

Mitch nylander

Jun 2, 2016
Good thing the hypothetical isn't taking place in history but in the future.

The last 3 years are normally a strong indicator, and that is why I chose it, to analyze these teams.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If Canucks get solid goaltending and Edler stays healthy they get my homer vote. Their top 6 is as good as anyone here and barring injuries the top 4 D core is solid. Having Hughes and Pettersson doesn't hurt either.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Leafs win the group, chokes in the playoff is my gut feeling so i'll go with Calgary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->