Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
My guess for opening night:

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Laine - Little - Dano
Connor - Perreault - Armia
Lowry - Burmi - Matthias

Honestly I have no clue for the 4th. Seems like several of Armia, Burmi, Lowry, Copp, Petan, Thorburn and Stafford won't make this team. The Jets (2.0) have never had depth like this before.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
My guess for opening night:

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Laine - Little - Dano
Connor - Perreault - Armia
Lowry - Burmi - Matthias

Honestly I have no clue for the 4th. Seems like several of Armia, Burmi, Lowry, Copp, Petan, Thorburn and Stafford won't make this team. The Jets (2.0) have never had depth like this before.

Despite the feelings of the anti-Stafford echo chamber here, he will be on the team if he's on the roster. A 21 goal scorer making $4.35M isn't going to be in the AHL. Perhaps traded (and, as this is a prediction thread, you could note that your prediction is rooted in a Stafford trade) - but not make the team? Not going to happen...

I think most likely 3C would be Burmistrov or Perreault; gun to my head I will say Burmi as I believe Perreault is more comfortable on the wing.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Sure sounds like Maurice wants to run Scheifele Liitle Perreault. Maybe the real battle will be for 4th line center?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sure sounds like Maurice wants to run Scheifele Liitle Perreault. Maybe the real battle will be for 4th line center?

I'm quite ok with going with Perrault as the 3C. That pretty much ensures Conner or Petan are getting a top 9 spot.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'm quite ok with going with Perrault as the 3C. That pretty much ensures Conner or Petan are getting a top 9 spot.

It allows Little to mentor one of Connor/Laine and Matchooo can mentor the other. MP had a very positive impact on Ehlers IMO

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It allows Little to mentor one of Connor/Laine and Matchooo can mentor the other. MP had a very positive impact on Ehlers IMO

Agreed, this also allows us to keep Ehlers with Scheifele and Wheeler to start. The RW depth chart is now interesting. This may open up a spot for both Dano and Armia in the bottom 6 if they insist on Stafford on the 2nd line with Little.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

If so, that's better than I had hoped for.

I was guessing Burmistrov due to his hesitancy to use Perreault at centre last year, but looks like things may be changing.

What a match up nightmare that would be for other teams. If we run Scheif, Little, Perreault for most of the season down the middle, I'm going to predict something like a 54% Corsi for the Jets.

Last edited:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Laine - Little - Wheeler
Ehlers- Scheifele - Dano/Armia
Connor - Perreault - Dano/Armia
Copp/Burmi - Lowry - Stafford

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Laine Little Dano
Connor Perrault Stafford
Mathias Lowry Armia

Pretty darn good forward core if you ask me.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
So 4th line Centre would be a fight between Burmistrov, Lowry and Copp. Copp can clear waivers and Burmistrov is a better centre than Lowry. So Lowry would be fighting with Matthias for 4th LW and Armia with Thorburn for 4th RW.

Matthias/Lowry--Burmistrov--Armia
Thorburn (PB)

That's a pretty good 4th line made up of good PK'ers.

Would the Jets waive Matthias/Lowry? Or is a trade inevitable? I guess they could go with only one extra Defenseman and keep one of Matthias/Lowry in the press box with Thorburn. I'm assuming Peluso gets waived.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

I was guessing Burmistrov due to his hesitancy to use Perreault at centre last year, but looks like things may be changing.

What a match up nightmare that would be for other teams. If we run Scheif, Little, Perreault for most of the season down the middle, I'm going to predict something like a 54% Corsi for the Jets.

That would just be dirty... :naughty:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Scheifele, Little, Perreault would be a very deep C group at NHL level.

Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Stafford, Dano, Armia and Matthias offer solid depth and versatility on wing.

Still have Burmi, Lowry and Copp fighting for 4th line C or W jobs. With Howden, Petan, Lemieux, and Thorbs looking for spots too. Waiver exemption will be key, after that it may come down to who can PK that makes it in the bottom 6. Burmi, Matthias, Lowry, and Howden all PK fairly effectively, imo.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
as much as I want it, I feel like hoping thorburn sits in the press box all year is no different than hoping pavalec would disappear for the last five years. I can't see it happening despite all logic.

I also can't see Dano being a second line winger.

By the end of the year:

Ehlers Scheifele wheeler
Laine little Perreault
Connor Petan Stafford
Lemieux Lowry Armia/Matthias

At the start:

Ehlers Scheifele wheeler
Laine little Stafford
Connor Perreault burmistrov
Thorburn Lowry Matthias

Or Perreault 2w, Burmi 3c and Stafford 3w

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Yup.

Maurice has a lot of nice pieces to work with. Keep Thorburn in a marginal role along with Stuart, play Hellebuyk as the #1 goalie and it's bound to be a strong lineup.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015

Yup.

Maurice has a lot of nice pieces to work with. Keep Thorburn in a marginal role along with Stuart, play Hellebuyk as the #1 goalie and it's bound to be a strong lineup.

54% Corsi for the Jets hmmmmm I think (hope) it will even be better than that! :handclap:

AndersUlfBobby

Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1
May 24, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I think it's folly to even try to predict line combinations for the coming season, given that there's going to be about 12 guys COMPETING for 4 forward positions during training camp.

picture.php

You've got 8 guys who I think have a lock to be in the starting line-up. That includes Shawn Matthias because I can't see the Jets signing a guy with almost 500 NHL games under his belt to a multi-year contract unless they were going to play him (he'll serve a second purpose next June because he'll also be expansion bate).

I hate to say this, but I'm positive Maurice is going to want some muscle up front, so we're going to be stuck with either Thorburn or Peluso again (ugh). So that leaves just 3 spots for the rest of the guys on the fence. Of course it's all going to depend on how these guys do in camp, but you have to think that the more mobile you are, the better your chance of making the line-up.

As with most others, I hope the Jets go with skill this year and not hold onto guys simply because of loyalty. We've finally have too much depth for that to even be a factor anymore. Nothing ever gets better unless you are willing to accept change.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Coach wanted a shutdown line last training camp. He try's again this year without having to resort to the ridicules proposition of Stanford being on a wing. Adam L.-Burmi-Matthais.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I would like to see penalty kill breakdown with Lowry, Burmi and Copp. I think whoever is going to be the 4th center will be the one who performs the best on the PK.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
With Maurice's comments and the log jam on the wings I'm definitely leaning towards Perreault in the no 3.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If Perrault is going to be 3C I'd like to see

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Petan/Connor-Little-Stafford
Laine-Perrault-Armia

3 scoring lines. Lots of pace and skill. Perrault gets sheltered from injury playing in the middle, and provides the shooter Laine with a premiere set up pivot.

Matthias-Lowry-Thorburn/Lipon

A good skating physical sandpaper line.

Perrault being relatively good in the circle, gives Maurice more options than Burmi or Copp do. I think it is safe to say that his leadership skills provide us with greater depth if he is on a 3rd line. I also know thAAt Maurice drastically altered his vision of the team after training camp so it will be interesting to see how the actual chess game of training camp plays out.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
I believe Perreault will play in the top 6 (probably at wing, regardless of what Paul says).

Laine Scheifele Ehlers

Perreault Little Wheeler

Unless Maurice wants to revisit Bryan Little on the wing (briefly last TC). Mathieu would still be in the top 6.

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler

Laine Perreault Little

Personally I see it as being between Stafford & Perreault for that last top 6 position. Time will tell. :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->