6. Lehtonen
7. Carter
8. Vanek
9. Johnson
10. Suter

Not much difference from above just moves phaneuf and johnson 1 spot higher

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
1. Ovechkin (neck and neck with Sid, AO is winning round 1)
2. Crosby (see above)
3. Phaneuf (amazing so far)
4. Malkin (excelling in the RSL; the question is "when," not "if")
5. Lehtonen (injuries hurt, but he hasn't lost top G billing)
6. Lundqvist (he's had his boosters, sure, but NYR are in 1st place)
7. Carter (so he's not a 1st liner yet ... disappointment? No)
8. Vanek (it's tough not putting him ahead of Carter ...)
9. Suter (development curve has done nothing to merit demotion)
10. Johnson (excelling in college not enough to beat out Suter)

... and I think someone else already pointed this out ... but am I right in thinking that the vast majority of the top 25 is going to "graduate" from "prospect" status just a couple weeks after the NHL resumes this season? Sorry, tangent ...

Last edited:

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
1) Ovechkin
2) Malkin
3) Crosby
4) Lundqvist
5) Phaneuf
6) Lehtonen
7) Vanek
8) Johnson
9) Carter
10) Suter

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
1) Ovechkin
2) Crosby
3) Malkin
4) Lundqvist
5) Phaneuf
6) Lehtonen
7) Johnson
8) Vanek
9) Suter
10) Carter

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'd be surprised if Ovechkin is #1. Even though he probably deserves to be, let's be real, it's HF, Crosby is who has made this site successful for the past 4 years. He's the HF golden boy.

Edit: For the record, I hope I am wrong.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
1) Crosby
2) Ovechkin
3) Phaneuf
4) Malkin
5) Lundqvist
6) Lehtonen
7) Carter
8) Vanek
9) Suter
10) Johnson

Ovechkin won't pass Sid at #1. They are pretty much dead even and Sid is almost 2 full years younger. Is Lundqvist even considered a prospect? The guy is 4-6 years older than most of the other guys on the list.

Olly2

Feb 26, 2003
Visit site
Top 10

1) Crosby
2) Ovechkin
3) Malkin
4) Phaneuf
5) Lehtonen
6) Lundqvist
7) Carter
8) Suter
9) Vanek
10) Johnson

Crosby or Ovechkin, at 2 years younger, I think you would have to go with Crosby.

It was tough picking Lehtonen over Lundqvist based on this year, but if you take the previous 3 years into consideration and factor in that Lehtonen has not been healthy this year, I think you would want Lehtonen over Lundqvist.

7-10 could pretty much go in any order.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
ryz said:
1) Crosby
2) Ovechkin
3) Phaneuf
4) Malkin
5) Lundqvist
6) Lehtonen
7) Carter
8) Vanek
9) Suter
10) Johnson

Ovechkin won't pass Sid at #1. They are pretty much dead even and Sid is almost 2 full years younger. Is Lundqvist even considered a prospect? The guy is 4-6 years older than most of the other guys on the list.

he's 23.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
ryz said:
You could say the same about Steen and Richards, and Steen got the nod, despite being the older one. I'm not saying I know who will get the #1 slot, but age doesn't seem to be that big of a factor in these.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
ryz said:
Is Lundqvist even considered a prospect? The guy is 4-6 years older than most of the other guys on the list.
Yea.. because he is one WHOLE YEAR older than Lehtonen... but i forgot.. Kari was a regular in SM-liiga as a 17-year old.. so he still counts more as a prospect.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
An Ape called Yoko said:
Yea.. because he is one WHOLE YEAR older than Lehtonen... but i forgot.. Kari was a regular in SM-liiga as a 17-year old.. so he still counts more as a prospect.
So there's 1 other older guy. How can you compare him to 18-21 yr old Crosby, Ovechkin, Phaneuf and Malkin?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
ryz said:
So there's 1 other older guy. How can you compare him to 18-21 yr old Crosby, Ovechkin, Phaneuf and Malkin?

Um, have you looked at the other 40 players on the list? There are plenty of players over 21 on it and a few older then Lundqvist.

X-SHARKIE

Who cares, this list is ugly! It reaks of bias... the criteria of being a prospect IMO is way off... Weber all the way down at 50 while Coburn is on the top 25? If you watched these two play vs. each all year ( I have both in Milwaukee and Chicago) you will see Weber is furthur now and has more upside...and I love Coburn..nothing against him.

It rips on Michalek for only having 23 points yet it says Parise is a super star despite having less points.... If you're only going to base a ranking on draft quotes and stats without looking at the player, at least do it with some consistancy.

Why is Seabrook so low?

Semin at 13th? Wha? Why is Suter so high? I'm just confused..... I'm convinced half of the list makers only watched 25% of the players and just used a dart board to rank the rest of them..

THN did a much better job despite being quite comical at times.. :confused:

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
An Ape called Yoko said:

1year8months :p:

MightyPleky*

----------------------------------------
1A- Sidney The Kid Crosby
1B- Alexander Ovechking
2- Evgeni Malkin
3- Dion Phaneuf
4- Kari Lehtonen
5- Henrik Lundqvist
6- Thomas Vanek
7- Jack Johnson
8- Jeff Carter
9- Ryan Suter
-----------------------------------------

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
ryz said:
He's turning 24 within a few weeks. I find it difficult to rate him alongside 18-21 yr olds at that age.

Look at the list, they're are plenty of players that are around the same age as Henrik. It's all a result of the lockout year, as many of the older guys would have been playing in the NHL last year and wouldn't have qualified for this year's list. I wouldn't worry about it that much, the list's average age will drop signifigantly in the fall when upwards of 20 guys graduate.

Personally, if i was doing my own list I would not include Henrik on it, just beacause I no longer have any serious doubts about his ability to perform on the NHL level. At this point I view him as an NHL regular, rather than a prospect. However, the arguments over this list get heated enough without including a discussion of who should be considered a prospect. For a project of this size you have to have a set numerical definition of who qualifies and who doesn't, otherwise it would just get too complicated. Presently Lundqvist qualifies, thus he must be on the list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->