Predict the top 10 05-06 ROY candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
markov` said:
Crosby will be a great player and the NHL ambassador for years to come. He won't be as good as Lemieux or Gretzky, but will win the Art Ross trophy year in and year out.

[daigle]

Hes a super, super prospect, but I wouldn't put that label on him. Not just him, but anyone WHO HASNT PLAYED AN NHL GAME.

[/daigle]

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For reference's sake, here are the top 10 true 18 y/o scorers in the NHL in the last decade (ie Sergei Samsonov stepped straight into the NHL but had a late birthdate, so was actually 19 in his rookie year):

Rick Nash............39
Patrice Bergeron.. 39
Marian Gaborik..... 36
Tim Connolly........ 34
Patrick Marleau.... 32
Vincent Lecavalier 28
Radek Dvorak...... 27
Jeff Friesen......... 25
Nathan Horton..... 22
Dainus Zubrus..... 21

Not a single player over 40 points. To crack the top 10 in league scoring, Crosby would need 80-85 points. Not bloody likely. Cracking the 40 point mark would be a nice accomplishment - better than anyone else has done since the early 1990s.

CH Wizard

Sidney Crosby imo.He'll have his chance after he gets his big contract.;)

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I think that there's a lot of guys out there who never saw Crosby play. He's got by far the best technical skill of all the prospects in the world. By the way, I really like AO, but I'll never understand those saying that AO will be better than Crosby.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
How many points will Crosby get in his first year? If Rick Nash leads the way with 39 i'd have to say Crosby will get between 50-60 depending on what team he plays on. If he ends up on Columbus he could have even more by assisting on a lot goals with Nash and Zheredev.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
MS said:
For reference's sake, here are the top 10 true 18 y/o scorers in the NHL in the last decade (ie Sergei Samsonov stepped straight into the NHL but had a late birthdate, so was actually 19 in his rookie year):

Rick Nash............39
Patrice Bergeron.. 39
Marian Gaborik..... 36
Tim Connolly........ 34
Patrick Marleau.... 32
Vincent Lecavalier 28
Radek Dvorak...... 27
Jeff Friesen......... 25
Nathan Horton..... 22
Dainus Zubrus..... 21

Not a single player over 40 points. To crack the top 10 in league scoring, Crosby would need 80-85 points. Not bloody likely. Cracking the 40 point mark would be a nice accomplishment - better than anyone else has done since the early 1990s.

You forgot Kovalchuk, who, at 18, scored 51 points in 65 games. That's 64 points in 82 games... assuming Crosby is more talented than Kovalchuk, why wouldn't he score 15 more points at the same age? See, it isn't impossible.

It is pretty funny though that you forgot Kovalchuk. All of a sudden, my statement seems to have more sense.

Last edited:

CH Wizard

ax²+bx+c said:
I really like AO, but I'll never understand those saying that AO will be better than Crosby.

I think they said that because they maybe think that because He'll maybe become a better overall player.I mean a better complete player.

I don't know who will put the most points though.I think Crosby will be able to put up more points then Ovechkin again I amn't sure.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
markov` said:
You forgot Kovalchuk, who, at 18, scored 51 points in 65 games. That's 64 points in 82 games... assuming Crosby is more talented than Kovalchuk, why wouldn't he score 15 more points at the same age? See, it isn't impossible.

It is pretty funny though that you forgot Kovalchuk. All of a sudden, my statement seems to have more sense.

I didn't even think about Kovalchuk, if he can get 64 in 82, Crosby could get 70 in 82 depending on teamates. If in Columbus he could get atleast 70 points.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
trahans99 said:
I didn't even think about Kovalchuk, if he can get 64 in 82, Crosby could get 70 in 82 depending on teamates. If in Columbus he could get atleast 70 points.

You see... MS probably prenteded he wasn't a "TRUE" 18 yrs old, because being born a April 15th, he could have played one game or two at 19.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
you guys are forgeting, thats ONE 18 year old who scored 40. One. I see your arguement, which is valid. But Kovalchuk adapted extraordinary well. He was the only one.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
markov` said:
You see... MS probably prenteded he wasn't a "TRUE" 18 yrs old, because being born a April 15th, he could have played one game or two at 19.

Give me a break. I'm not stupid enough to intentionally miss someone that important and pretend no-one will notice. I'm not sure how I missed him but I did.

As it is, even had Kovalchuk stayed healthy and scored 64 points he'd still have finished down around #45-50 overall in NHL scoring. Not top 10. And he's a guy who's physical skills - size, shot, skating - were much more easily translateable at a young age than Crosby.

X-SHARKIE

CrossCheck said:
Forget it... His leg won't be fine... Can't believe this guy is still carrying the hype with those IMPORTANT injuries

Actually Wilson and his brother said he has never been healthier since his injurey and they're taking it slow with him so he's ready for the NHL when it's playoff time or next season.

Sounds like he is doing very well since they're not rushing him this time and they're doing the right thing and taking it long term with him.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
This thread is one hell of a joke. I just got back from the CB/Rim game and like I seen every other time Crosby played, he was by far the best most talented junior player I ever seen. The strength this kid has in his legs is beyond description. He carries big defensemen on his back, much like moosefan said. He had 3 goal and an assist. That assist was one of the nicest plays I seen all year. In terms of point production in his first year.......it depends on the team that gets him. If he is a FA and signs with a team like Washington or CBus I feel he would get 60 points or so. If he signs with a team like Toronto or Montreal then he may get around 75. Zednik wouldn't know what to do with half of Crosby's passes.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
Zednik wouldn't know what to do with half of Crosby's passes.

Well, he has hard time knowing what to do with half of Saku's passes. I guess to number of wasted scoring opportunities that he would get with Sidney could be beyond any possible description.

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
JasonMacIsaac said:
This thread is one hell of a joke....

No kidding ... I mean, "PanthersRule" actually posted his own top ten list of potential Calder candidates in '05-'06 ... WTF?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
gonzopher said:
No kidding ... I mean, "PanthersRule" actually posted his own top ten list of potential Calder candidates in '05-'06 ... WTF?
I don't mind his list.....its the fact that he is downgrading Crosby so low....since I am willing to bet he never seen him play other then the WJC last year.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
gonzopher said:

:dunno: Weren't you the one who started the thread with your own list?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
This thread is exactly the same as one I saw on this site two years ago while Crosby was playing at Shattucks.

Some posters predicted Crosby would do well in the Q and some even went out on a limb to suggest he might near 100 points. One guy predicted he'd lead the league in scoring and almost got laughed right off the site. There is even one poster who has posted in this very thread today that I remember specifically saying it was assinine to even suggest Crosby would lead the Q in points and that if he got 80 points it would be an incredible year. After a CHL high 135 points, CHL Rookie of the Year award and CHL PLayer of the Year award, I didn't see too many people admitting how wrong they were.

I'm not saying Crosby will lead the NHL in scoring in his rookie year, but every time Crosby has advanced to the next level he has dominated it much more than most people expected. It happened when he left the Maritime AAA Midget League, it happened when he left Shattucks and it's happening again as he's leaving the Q. Don't underestimate this kid, his skill is unreal.

Last edited:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
gonzopher said:
WTF :dunno: Where did that s** come from? :dunno:

If you've watched Krajicek, like I have in FLA, he's a valid choice. Also, offensive dmen get more hype than defensive dmen. Krajicek will get chances on the PP. He's ultra skilled and underrated here.
Stewart has been TEARING up the OHL and was great last year in the preseason for FLA. HE would've made the team aside from contract issues.

I don't think Getzlaf will be top 10 or the other guys I left off. Just my opinion. I also don't think Crosby is like the second coming of Christ. I think he'll be an NHL superstar, but not like AWESOME. The defense in the NHL are getting better and better. Sure, I do think Crosby will put up 100 point seasons in the NHL, maybe 5 or 6 times, but I don't think he'll get more than 55+ points in his rookie year. That's great if he does, but he'll be on a bad team too and NHL defense much different from the Q to say the least.

JasonMacIsaac, I'm not downgrading Crosby. I just strongly disagree that he will be top 10 in points in his rookie year. I also think Ovechkin will have a better rookie year because he is bigger and he has played against men for years and dominated.

In order, I think the rookie of the year players for the top 4 will be:

Ovechkin
Lehtonen
Crosby
Fleury.

That's a sick rookie class cuz in most years, they'd be the winners compared to others.

I just put Olesz there basically, because while I don't think he will be a top rookie his first year, he will be an important player for FLA and will get opportunities to score. His offense is underrated. He's on the best team in the Extraleague and is the youngest player and still has good stats, and he's scored most all his points in the past 10 games as he's been put on the first line on his team, or at least was. Give me a good argument why Krajicek, Stewart, and Olesz aren't valid picks.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
PanthersRule said:
WTF :dunno: Where did that s** come from? :dunno:

If you've watched Krajicek, like I have in FLA, he's a valid choice. Also, offensive dmen get more hype than defensive dmen. Krajicek will get chances on the PP. He's ultra skilled and underrated here.
Stewart has been TEARING up the OHL and was great last year in the preseason for FLA. HE would've made the team aside from contract issues.

I don't think Getzlaf will be top 10 or the other guys I left off. Just my opinion. I also don't think Crosby is like the second coming of Christ. I think he'll be an NHL superstar, but not like AWESOME. The defense in the NHL are getting better and better. Sure, I do think Crosby will put up 100 point seasons in the NHL, maybe 5 or 6 times, but I don't think he'll get more than 55+ points in his rookie year. That's great if he does, but he'll be on a bad team too and NHL defense much different from the Q to say the least.

JasonMacIsaac, I'm not downgrading Crosby. I just strongly disagree that he will be top 10 in points in his rookie year. I also think Ovechkin will have a better rookie year because he is bigger and he has played against men for years and dominated.

In order, I think the rookie of the year players for the top 4 will be:

Ovechkin
Lehtonen
Crosby
Fleury.

That's a sick rookie class cuz in most years, they'd be the winners compared to others.

I just put Olesz there basically, because while I don't think he will be a top rookie his first year, he will be an important player for FLA and will get opportunities to score. His offense is underrated. He's on the best team in the Extraleague and is the youngest player and still has good stats, and he's scored most all his points in the past 10 games as he's been put on the first line on his team, or at least was. Give me a good argument why Krajicek, Stewart, and Olesz aren't valid picks.
Ovechkin has to dominate the RSL or WJC before I feel he will outscore Crosby at the NHL level.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Ovechkin has to dominate the RSL or WJC before I feel he will outscore Crosby at the NHL level.

He will, don't worry ;)

He kinda is dominating the RSL. If he was in the Q, it'd be interesting to see the #'s he'd put up. I think Crosby would outscore O in the Q, but I think that Ovechkin will have a better rookie year. Only rookie year mind you, I think Crosby will score a lot in his career and maybe outscore Ovechkin.
I just feel Ovechkin will step right in and make a major impact immediately which Crosby will make a big impact, but will continue to get much better and better over the course of time, Ovechkin too, but I think Crosby will get up to be better than O in a couple years.

Just my opinion :teach:

Crosby is great though :bow: , .........................but IMO so is Ovechkin. Those top 2 could be the modern day Lemieux and Gretz, not that they're even close to that level, but I think they will both be at the top of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad