Predict the teams for Olympics 2014

espo*

I think it really does depend on how Canada or the USA fares at the tournament. I can't see Canada winning in 2010, and then the NHL saying "Okay, no more Olympic tournaments." It would really cheapen the win somewhat for Canada (or USA), since the NHL can arbitrarily decide when it wants to compete at the Olympics. It seems like much of the negativity about the Olympics this time around, from an NHL perspective, resulted from the poor showing of the North American teams. If Canada had won the gold in Turin, I'm not sure whether there would be such angst at competing at the Olympics.

It's remarkable how much the mood of the NHL towards the Olympics changed from 2002 to 2006. 2002 was heralded as a massive moment in Canadian hockey history and a success for hockey period (fans were clamouring for the NHL to change to Olympic rules), and four years later, there is suggestion they want out of the Olympics. I'm guessing, Vancouver will be a success for North American teams, and that the appetite for more Olympic hockey will return.

I hope you are right and i do think your assessment could be correct.But it sounds like a few owners and (players ae said to be unhappy with the game load also) have had enough of sending 3-4 key guys over to play a tremendous amount of games sandwiched in so few days only to have those players burnt out from fatigue or injuries or both just when they need them the most for their teams playoff chances.The owners want to protect their expensive investments and the player want to keep healthy and fresh.A north American team winning in 2010 may change things but as of right now nhl player participation after 2010 is teetering on the edge from what 'm hearing in the press.

I'm not sure a North American team winning is enough to save it,drop the "north" out of north american and you may have the only team whose winning it could save it IMO.

Jazz

There won't be a 2014 Olympics with NHL Players UNLESS the Europeans agree to a) quit excusing themselves for the World Championships and b) The World Cup of Hockey is brought back on a 4 year basis
Nobody gives a rat's *ss about the World Cup outside Canada (and to a small extent, Finland). There is no point for an elite level championships if noone is watching, especially in the US when the NFL is starting in early September.

If the NHL is keen on developing their brand (and that of hockey) in the US and worldwide, they will stay in the Olympics.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Assuming the world hasn't ended by then, here's a rough groundwork for Finland:

Forwards
Tuomo Ruutu, 30/31
Mikko Koivu, 30
Olli Jokinen, 35
Perttu Lindgren, 26
Valtteri Filppula, 29
Jussi Jokinen, 30
Toni Rajala, 22
Mikael Granlund, 21/22
Lauri Tukonen, 27
Lauri Korpikoski, 27
Sean Bergenheim, 29/30
Petteri Nokelainen, 28

Defensemen
Joni Pitkänen, 30
Mr. A
Mr. B
Mr. C
Mr. X
Mr. Y
Mr. Z

Goaltenders
Kari Lehtonen, 30
Hannu Toivonen, 29
Tuukka Rask, 26

Long story short: A gazillion centers and equally many goalies, while wingers and defensemen are virtually extinct.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Nobody gives a rat's *ss about the World Cup outside Canada (and to a small extent, Finland). There is no point for an elite level championships if noone is watching, especially in the US when the NFL is starting in early September.

If the NHL is keen on developing their brand (and that of hockey) in the US and worldwide, they will stay in the Olympics.

When most of the players in the NHL are still North Americans (the majority of those players have said they won't put up with the half @$$ job the Olympic Committees didn't help get there **** setup), STILL after all these years Russia & the Czechs, Fins, Swedes have been sending there players to North America ... I really hate Olympic Years as an American NHL first fan ... too many games condensed into the same schedule

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
It is sure that there will be at least two players who have "Pori" as their birthplace in Finnish team...

Homer

About the D: I think there's something wrong with the way Finland is developing D-men these days. Considering that Laakso, not really a future star even (3rd round pick, future really open) has played 2 WJCs and will play his third and last this year. Really says something about the 85 and 86 agegroups D-men. And who's our top 84 D-man? Lepistö? After that? Are they all just developing really late or what?

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Homer

About the D: I think there's something wrong with the way Finland is developing D-men these days. Considering that Laakso, not really a future star even (3rd round pick, future really open) has played 2 WJCs and will play his third and last this year. Really says something about the 85 and 86 agegroups D-men. And who's our top 84 D-man? Lepistö? After that? Are they all just developing really late or what?

We can always hope so. Our two best defensemen born in the 1970s were drafted 250th and 239th overall, so you never know...

As for this thread, I completely forgot Jesse Joensuu and Sami Lepistö. Neither are sure-fire prospects but both definitely warrant a place in these early predictions, especially Lepistö who at the moment has no competition whatsoever for the 2nd power play QB's role. Unless we count a 38-year-old Kimmo Timonen that is...

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland

Forwards
Tuomo Ruutu, 30/31
Mikko Koivu, 30
Olli Jokinen, 35
Perttu Lindgren, 26
Valtteri Filppula, 29
Jussi Jokinen, 30
Toni Rajala, 22
Mikael Granlund, 21/22
Lauri Tukonen, 27
Lauri Korpikoski, 27
Sean Bergenheim, 29/30
Petteri Nokelainen, 28

Defensemen
Joni Pitkänen, 30
Mr. A
Mr. B
Mr. C
Mr. X
Mr. Y
Mr. Z

Goaltenders
Kari Lehtonen, 30
Hannu Toivonen, 29
Tuukka Rask, 26

Long story short: A gazillion centers and equally many goalies, while wingers and defensemen are virtually extinct.

D-men might look something like this; Kukkonen, Lepistö, Laakso, Malmivaara, Koistinen..? And how could i miss this one, Anssi Salmela :)

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
There are a few good young SM-liiga level D-men out there (for example, this years top rookies Tero Konttinen and Mikko Viitanen), but we're lacking NHL calibre D-men...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
R. Luongo
M. Fleury

M. Staal M. Carle
J. Bouwmeester D. Phaneuf
S. Webber D. Syvret
B. Seabrook C. Barker

W. Wolski S. Crosby A. Esposito
Ja. Staal E. Staal J. Spezza
V. Lecavalier J. Thornton R. Nash
P. Bergeron Jo. Staal D. Heatley

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
R. Luongo
M. Fleury

M. Staal M. Carle
S. Webber D. Syvret
B. Seabrook C. Barker

Where is Pierre Marc Bouchard? The only way he doesnt make it is if hes injured.

Boston

Captain Chara
Oct 3, 2005
R. Luongo
M. Fleury

M. Staal M. Carle
S. Webber D. Syvret
B. Seabrook C. Barker

Carle is american

CanadienKid25

Mar 28, 2010
So in contrast to the predict your team in 6 years, since who knows what player movement will happen, let's do something where we know the players won't get traded. If you had to guess the lines for the Olympics for your country (or any country, if you're so inclined) in 2014 who would you pick?

I'll start with USA:

Kessel-Gomez-Gionta
O'Sullivan-Schremp-Ryan
Higgins-Lewis-Okposo
Brown-Kesler-Umberger
ex: Parise, Bochenski
hm: Fritsche, Gaustad, Cole

Johnson-Johnson
Suter-Komisarek
Ballard-Gleason
ex: Chelios
hm: Welch, Carle

Miller
Dipietro
ex: Howard
hmL Schneider

Bump.

Not bad at all Seph considering it was 8 years ago.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

Forwards
Tuomo Ruutu, 30/31
Mikko Koivu, 30
Olli Jokinen, 35
Perttu Lindgren, 26
Valtteri Filppula, 29
Jussi Jokinen, 30
Toni Rajala, 22
Mikael Granlund, 21/22
Lauri Tukonen, 27
Lauri Korpikoski, 27
Sean Bergenheim, 29/30
Petteri Nokelainen, 28

Defensemen
Joni Pitkänen, 30
Mr. A
Mr. B
Mr. C
Mr. X
Mr. Y
Mr. Z

Goaltenders
Kari Lehtonen, 30
Hannu Toivonen, 29
Tuukka Rask, 26

Some misses in the forwards obviously (+ Toivonen), but overall nice work. Especially with projecting a then 14-year-old Mi. Granlund into the roster, and you'll most likely end up being right about that.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I love this guessing games. It's always fun to look back on them a few years later..with very mixed results...

Zetterberg - Bäckström - Pääjärvi
Backlund - Berglund - Möller
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Bergfors
Steen - A. Sundström - Sjöström

N. Kronwall - V. Hedman
Strålman - Grossman
D. Persson - Tallinder

Lundqvist
Enroth
Idoff (hmm no :laugh:)

This could be an awesome team if prospects like Backlund, Möller and Pääjärvi develops good. And yet I had to cut some serious talent from the team:
Forwards: C. Söderberg, Loui Eriksson, Robert Nilsson, Påhlsson, Lander, Lagerström, Carning etc...
Defensemen: Öhlund, Bäckman, A. Mylläri, Edler, Rahimi etc.
Goalies: Ridderwall, Daniel Larsson, Gistedt, Modig etc.

Things might look very good for Sweden in 2014!

BOLD very likely, Backlund and Enroth, Tallinder and MAYBE Strålman as a decent chance to make the team, others not likely

I give it...C+... Good call on Enroth!

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I'll try Canada

Lampman-Trentney-Jones
Fliggington-Spearton-McCaphrey
L'Afflete-Hoffinger-Belacouer
Howardson-Worthy-Mandel

Taxi squad - Trumpman, Goosington

Sleever-L'Abbe
Hortingsmith-Jollifue
Smithers-Burns

Taxi squad - Jockington

Brodeur
Huffrey
Bingaling

I know, I know....Hoffinger over Gorgensmith. I just think 'The Hoff' has better big game upside.

Might have got Borduer right not bad.

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
It is sure that there will be at least two players who have "Pori" as their birthplace in Finnish team...
Wrote this seven years ago, but it seems that I might be correct. At least Joensuu should be in the team.

Who is the other; Rynnäs, Haula or Armia? Also Kuparinen and Salminen might have a small chance. So who wants to hear the next lottery numbers...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad