Speculation: Predict the RFA signings

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
He's saying that Armstrong has done a really good job on the deals. Blais is right around what I'd have expected, but the Gunnarsson & Bouwmeester deals are very good.
He said Armstrong has done a good job until now. I took the until now part as implying that he hasn't done a good job recently which I disagree with.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
He's saying that Armstrong has done a really good job on the deals. Blais is right around what I'd have expected, but the Gunnarsson & Bouwmeester deals are very good.
To be fair, using the word "until" gives the statement the opposite meaning, or at least connotation.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Fabbri, Sanford & Blais - 1 year @ ~$950k
Barbashev - 2 years @ $1.5m
Sundqvist - 1 year @ $1.8m
Edmundson - 1 year @ $3m
Binnington - 1 year @ $3.5m

There isn't any reason for any of them to accept a two-way contract, and little incentive for the Blues to try and push that issue. Everyone should be getting a one-way deal.

Edmundson had a QO of $3m, I don't see him taking less unless we offer term. Despite the season he had, I think Armstrong will still discuss term with him.

Difficult to see anything other than a two-year bridge for Barbashev, since it is what Armstrong likes.

I could see Sundqvist getting term, but he put up 30 points and played 15+ minutes a night in the playoffs. I can't see him taking less than the $2.5m-$3m range if we're wanting to buy UFA years. Armstrong being all about players proving themselves makes the one year deal, keeping him a RFA next summer, the most likely scenario.

Who the hell knows with Binnington. Ask me again tomorrow and I'll have a different number.

I think this is going to be really close except I think you're off on Binnington. I think he makes at least 4.5.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
He said Armstrong has done a good job until now. I took the until now part as implying that he hasn't done a good job recently which I disagree with.

I wasn't implying anything, english just isn't my first language. I meant to say I was happy with the low AAV on the contracts that have been given and I hope he's able to continue doing that.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I wasn't implying anything, english just isn't my first language. I meant to say I was happy with the low AAV on the contracts that have been given and I hope he's able to continue doing that.
We are in agreement then.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
IF Sanford got 1.5Mill.$ oh boy what Barbashev and Sundqvist will get.:scared:

Looks like peopke have valued our players quite wrong.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I always thought Barbashev and Sundqvist would get at least 2 mil so it’s whatever. Sundqvist honestly may get 3 mil and is probably worth it.

Get Fabbri signed for cheap and then the remaining 4 will be very interesting to see.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The phrase that best captures what you meant to say is "so far."

As in, "Army's doing a hell of a job signing our FA's at low-ish prices so far.

"Until now" implies that an event just happened which changed your opinion. "So far" implies that your opinion hasn't changed up to this point, but that you recognize there are more events which need to happen in the future and could change your opinion.

English is weird.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
IF Sanford got 1.5Mill.$ oh boy what Barbashev and Sundqvist will get.:scared:

Looks like peopke have valued our players quite wrong.

I think it probably helps us with Barby. Sanford was on pace for 26 points over 80 games (identical to Barby's totals) but Barby had a better goal/assist ratio by a bit. Sanford's possession numbers, raw +/- and expected +/- were all drastically better than Barby's, but Barby had tougher usage. Don't get me wrong, I think Barby is a better player. However, they are similar statistically and Sanford had arbitration rights so he had more leverage than Barby does. If Barby's camp wants to use this a comparable during negotiations, I think it hurts them as much or more than it helps them.

With that said, I didn't expect Barby to get less than $1.5 mil on a 2 year deal, so I'm probably analyzing it under that assumption.

I think Sunny's AAV was going to start with a 2 no matter what, so I'm not sure how much this impacts him.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
With Sanford getting 1.5mil, I'm thinking Barbashev gets 1.75mil and Sunny gets between 2.25 and 2.5mil.

Barbashev isn't arbitration eligible so I'm guessing he comes in cheaper than Sanford at this point.

For those savvy with the CBA, what determines whether or not a player is eligible for arbitration? How was a guy like Lebanc not eligible after 3 years in the league?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Barbashev isn't arbitration eligible so I'm guessing he comes in cheaper than Sanford at this point.

For those savvy with the CBA, what determines whether or not a player is eligible for arbitration? How was a guy like Lebanc not eligible after 3 years in the league?
It is to do with the number of years of "professional experience" the player has, along with the age he signed his ELC.

Sign your first deal at 18-20 then you need four years pro experience, at 21 it is three years, 22-23 is two years and 24+ is one year.

A year of professional experience is simply playing 10 or more professional games, unless you are 18 or 19 and then it is 10 or more NHL games.

So Labanc signed at 19, he only has three years professional experience.

Or Fabbri signed his ELC in 2014 when he was 18. 14/15 was a slide year, 17/18 he didn't play and therefore he only has three years pro experience and isn't eligible.

Reactions: Em etah Eh

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Looks like Binnington's arbitration will be on the first day, if it goes that far... Here's the list from the main boards

July 20
Joel Armia
Jordan Binnington
Jason Dickinson
Alex Iafallo
Brock McGinn
Malcolm Subban- signed July 9

July 21
Andrew Copp

July 22
Zach Aston-Reese
Christian Djoos